Author Topic: What a friking boring game this has become  (Read 5357 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Re: What a friking boring game this has become
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
But, in a discussion a few weeks ago, even once AW was half dead on EA's menu, AW had 30,000+ active subscribers. So, imagine how many it had in its hayday.

I doubt Aw had had 30,000+ subscribers. Over time i can see 30,000 checking it out since it became free on AOL but computers and servers were much different then.

I was always able to get on in AW without a prob using the crappy dial up they had.
...forgot the bawd

How big were the rooms in AW? 1% of 30,000 players is 300.

my guess would be: At least 25% of the subscribers probably actually played on a regular basis. The majority were computer geek adults as well.

I played from 94 or 95 till end. Was a great game and costed me plenty when i first started. The first bill I blamed on the neighbors kid.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »
Zazen, you tend to be right 90% of the time. :P  This is one of those times: Spit16 pilots must expect that other aircraft will be cautious about engaging them and won't give them the kind of fight they desire.  Expecting otherwise is laughable.

I must be the odd ball in the bunch, because I don't mind fighting spits. granted I fly the K4 most of the time, but I typically enjoy the match of a Spit16 vs a 109k4. I really don't care if they are higher than me, I'll just talk them into getting lower.  :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:50:09 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2008, 06:21:32 PM »
Zazen, you tend to be right 90% of the time. :P  This is one of those times: Spit16 pilots must expect that other aircraft will be cautious about engaging them and won't give them the kind of fight they desire.  Expecting otherwise is laughable.

That's just silly.  Nothing better then eating up Spit 16s in the old 38G down on the deck.  it must drive them nuts to have that big target turn with em :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
As I mentioned above, I normally do fly a Spit XVI and normally just over 15K.  Once on the deck Spits can't really run and they do attract a hoard.  Eveyone wants to kill a XVI as quickly as possible.

Eagl, while we have had a couple good fights in the past. Maybe you could try out something a little more challanging then a Spit16, you might find that people are more inclined to give you a good fight more often rather then either running or looking to kill you as quickly as possible.

Generally Spit16s is never an encounter I look forward to, simply because they are either flown by someone new and be a quick kill, or someone average and higher and I'll be left shaking my head at it's uber abilities. While trying to sucker them into some sort of close fight for a snap shot.

I savour the moment when I can find something interesting for a 1v1. One reason I fly the Yak T is to fly something different from the normal rides and make it not only more challanging and interesting for myself but also something different for others to come across.

Though it does get frustrating at times when you get shot down by a uber ride simply because they can make mistakes and get away with it where as you make one mistake/miss one shot and your back in the tower. Plus you still get picked like anything else. Also I rarely give a salute back to anyone in a top tier ride, I just don't see the difficulty worthy of a salute.

Anyway flying Yaks especially the T keeps me interested. I don't think I'd last one tour flying a Spit16 even though I know my all my stats etc would all be 3 times higher with half the effort. Since I don't give a toss about stats it's hunting alone and the odd really good 1v1 or many fight that keeps me interested. That and the challange of pulling off shots with the 37mm, very rewarding.  :devil

<S>...-Gixer

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:49:35 PM by Gixer »

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2008, 06:43:51 PM »
spit-16 at 15k? for what? most fight r like 5k. Even in D9 I usually fly to the fight at 8k-10k max. In the fight most the time I'm around 6-7k.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: August 20, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
spit-16 at 15k? for what? most fight r like 5k. Even in D9 I usually fly to the fight at 8k-10k max. In the fight most the time I'm around 6-7k.

Learn to read.  I said that it's been my buff hunter of choice the past few camps.  The only way to beat 17's and 24's in a Spit without getting shredded is to start with an alt advantage.  Through the first week or so of this camp I was 24 and 0 against 17's and 24's.  No idea where I am now.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: August 20, 2008, 07:10:03 PM »
That's just silly.  Nothing better then eating up Spit 16s in the old 38G down on the deck.  it must drive them nuts to have that big target turn with em :)

Spit16s on the deck are easier to kill than ones with some alt. When they are at alt they can always fall back on the seemingly "E-Free"  butter churn stick stir with that crazy rollrate. Without alt they really can only turn or scissor making them very doable for a decent shot/stick.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:12:29 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: August 20, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
Without alt they really can only turn or scissor making them very doable for a decent shot/stick.

Or they can just hit WEP go verticle and return to an alt/E advantage fairly easily against all except the very best climbers. Even then they can add some turn into the climb which few rides can match. Kind of like a very lazy Hi Yo Yo.

Sometimes I can't help but laugh when I merge with a Spit16 at about 300 mph I can pull immediately into a verticle climb and then just watch from rear view as they do a full 180 deg flat turn looking for me, pull up hit WEP and then close the distance within 600 for a hispano shot.   :lol

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #188 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
I doubt Aw had had 30,000+ subscribers. Over time i can see 30,000 checking it out since it became free on AOL but computers and servers were much different then.

Gamestorm>EA carried about 25K total subscribers for the Gamestorm package of games.  I saw a reliable source say that the database on the AOL server had more than 150k users in it at one time, though you can assume that some were multiple accounts of the same players using different screen names, and many were passerbys accumulated over time.  If you go by the peak time rule of thumb there were usually about 11-12K active players during the AOL free with subscription days.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54:36 PM »
Or they can just hit WEP go verticle and return to an alt/E advantage fairly easily against all except the very best climbers. Even then they can add some turn into the climb which few rides can match. Kind of like a very lazy Hi Yo Yo.

Sometimes I can't help but laugh when I merge with a Spit16 at about 300 mph I can pull immediately into a verticle climb and then just watch from rear view as they do a full 180 deg flat turn looking for me, pull up hit WEP and then close the distance within 600 for a hispano shot.   :lol

<S>...-Gixer

:rofl No kidding gixer.  Spit16s even give the 109K-4 a run for its money in the climbing department.  According to http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php the Spit16 outclimbs the 109K-4 between 16-20k ft.  The only clear advantage the 109K-4 has here is level speed.  I don't know what the heck you do in a Yak-9T, where you are out-turned, slower, a worse climber, slower at acceleration, etc. the list goes on and on. :uhoh  Thank goodness many Spit16 pilots are new and clueless, otherwise pure hit and run, with nothing else mixed in, would be the order of the day.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #190 on: August 20, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I don't know what the heck you do in a Yak-9T, where you are out-turned, slower, a worse climber, slower at acceleration, etc. the list goes on and on. :uhoh  Thank goodness many Spit16 pilots are new and clueless, otherwise pure hit and run, with nothing else mixed in, would be the order of the day.

If I can't count on clueless, then I go for scissors (pref vertical)  and a well timed shot, though I have to make the shot with the first or second crossover. Basically I try and turn it into a super close knife fight and use the tater snap shot advantage. Or if all going badly just HO the dweeby POS.   :D

Yak U is much easier.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »
But, in a discussion a few weeks ago, even once AW was half dead on EA's menu, AW had 30,000+ active subscribers.

At the time it was shut down, it was EA's second largest subscription based game, second to OU.  Of course, it goes without saying, subscription base numbers don't always accurately reflect the player base numbers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
in the 2yrs i been playing, ive seen many changes, much more for the negitive than the positive  :cry  :( i find more HOers, pickers, gangers, and runers now than 2 yrs ago :( i finally find  good fight and find 8 behind me, wen theres 8 other bish around :cry it has changed a lot.
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
in the 2yrs i been playing, ive seen many changes, much more for the negitive than the positive  :cry  :( i find more HOers, pickers, gangers, and runers now than 2 yrs ago :( i finally find  good fight and find 8 behind me, wen theres 8 other bish around :cry it has changed a lot.

Pull yourself together. :furious  You're the one who has changed, not the game.  Remember when getting just 1 kill was a big deal?  You didn't care if you were immediately ganged afterward, it was still a significant success.  Now you probably want to shoot down 2 or 3 without getting ganged at all; that's a lot more difficult. :salute
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:55 AM »
Have to disagree after playing for 3 years now all the above you mentioned is the same 3 years back as it is now. That is why I like this game so much you don't know what the other guy is going to do. You have to be a little like Kenny Rogers & his song the gambler. You know the words. Your not going to get one v one in the main arena if you want that your going to have to live in the DA.