Author Topic: What a friking boring game this has become  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Re: What a friking boring game this has become
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
I really don' t know what happen. I knew Gamestorm went down because EA bough out Gamestorm. Kesmai, the creator of AW? was partnership w/ gamestorm? so they lost that lisence to EA? When EA shut down all gamestorm games to force GS players to play their game. Air warrior went with it?
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
I really have no idea on the details either.  Some say they just wanted the codes.  There are others here that know far more then I care to on that subject.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:40:26 AM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »
I really don' t know what happen. I knew Gamestorm went down because EA bough out Gamestorm. Kesmai, the creator of AW? was partnership w/ gamestorm? so they lost that lisence to EA? When EA shut down all gamestorm games to force GS players to play their game. Air warrior went with it?

I can't remember who had the data. But, in a discussion a few weeks ago, even once AW was half dead on EA's menu, AW had 30,000+ active subscribers. So, imagine how many it had in its hayday. I hate to guess at stuff like this on HTC's forums, but I highly doubt AH has even half that many. That is significant because AH has relatively little competition compared to AW back then and there are just far more internet users now than there were 10 years ago, making the potential market much, much larger now.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:52:26 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
I really have no idea on the details either.  Some say they just wanted the codes.  There are others here that know far more then I care to on that subject.

At the time I was told by a disgruntled staffer that it was EA trying to clear out the competition to make way for their own native products. But, someone said a few weeks ago that it was for net code Kesmai had for their gaming service...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:07:35 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2008, 11:48:32 AM »
Well,

Thanks for the candid response.  I think most of the posts are right.

I'd say this. You cant expect the game to stay the same.  It seems to be a work in progress.  So if that is true, then there was and never will be the good ol days.  Just times in the development you particularily liked.  As for Me?  I just find some sort of way around what I percieve as a wall until I get where I would like to be within the game.

:salute

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
I can only assume these two quotes were directed at me:

Anyone who flies an "uber" ride relatively high gets no sympathy from me when they cry about people running from them.

What you fly and how high you fly it determines people's reaction to you in-flight. They don't know who's in the 20k Spit16, all they know is some dweeb is 20k in a Spit16 and will choose not play with you more often than not. Conversely, they won't know who's 8k in an F6F (although it's probably Greebo!) all they know is some guy at a reasonable altitude in a less than "uber" plane is a good candidate to fight and will almost certainly engage you. Don't take everything so personally, it's just a matter of people reacting to what information they have in the most reasonable and logical way, it can be predicted like the sun rising in the morning and setting in the evening.

While I do normally fly a Spit XVI and I do normally fly over 15K (to get into whatever plane I'm in into it's "sweet spot", normally between 8-17K depending on the plane, and to be prepared for buff hunting) that wasn't the case on this particular night.  Had I been flying a Spit XVI at 16K I would have easily run down the runners.  As it was, I was under 8-10K in the match-ups I posted earlier:

BTW, Here were some of the match-up's last night:

P-51D running fron a P-51B
La-7 running from a Spit IX
And in the DA a C.205 running from a Spit V

In fact, in the DA I was under 5K.

In my opinion, a Pony/Pony match-up, an La-7/Spit match-up or a 205/Spit match-up aren't that far fetched.  In every case we were co-alt or with me at an alt disadvantage.

As I mentioned above, I normally do fly a Spit XVI and normally just over 15K.  The XVI is my recent preferred buff hunter but it needs to have alt on the buffs to survive the gun passes.  If I don't run into buffs I end up on the deck like everyone else, usually with my throttle chopped getting there with the "right" amount of E.  Once on the deck Spits can't really run and they do attract a hoard.  Eveyone wants to kill a XVI as quickly as possible.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
EA killed it duh !!!

LOL,, AOL killed it,,,

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
I can't remember who had the data. But, in a discussion a few weeks ago, even once AW was half dead on EA's menu, AW had 30,000+ active subscribers. So, imagine how many it had in its hayday. I hate to guess at stuff like this on HTC's forums, but I highly doubt AH has even half that many. That is significant because AH has relatively little competition compared to AW back then and there are just far more internet users now than there were 10 years ago, making the potential market much, much larger now.

Yea but the gaming market isn't the same as it was back then.. Back then PC's had the best games and the consoles for the most part sucked and none of them offered any sort of online multi-player games. PC's and games like AW got so big because of multi-player.

Now days most of the younger crowd chooses to play on Xbox live or with their Playstation. That has an impact on games like this, because even though there are more people online, they aren't' necessary online to play games. They are online doing other stuff and then go do their gaming on their favorite console.
"strafing"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2008, 01:09:35 PM »
PC's and games like AW got so big because of multi-player.

Air Warrior being FREE on AOL didn't hurt either.  That's when I got hooked.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »

LOL,, AOL killed it,,,

EA bought Kesmai to get into bed with AOL and run their "games" channel.

They then shelved AirWarrior.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
I can only assume these two quotes were directed at me:

Actually no, it was just a general statement. I have no clue what you fly. I don't even recognize your handle. If I know you in-game it is not connected to the forum, because I have no clue who you are...

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

While I do normally fly a Spit XVI and I do normally fly over 15K (to get into whatever plane I'm in into it's "sweet spot", normally between 8-17K depending on the plane, and to be prepared for buff hunting) that wasn't the case on this particular night.  Had I been flying a Spit XVI at 16K I would have easily run down the runners.  As it was, I was under 8-10K in the match-ups I posted earlier:

In my opinion, a Pony/Pony match-up, an La-7/Spit match-up or a 205/Spit match-up aren't that far fetched.  In every case we were co-alt or with me at an alt disadvantage.

As I mentioned above, I normally do fly a Spit XVI and normally just over 15K.  The XVI is my recent preferred buff hunter but it needs to have alt on the buffs to survive the gun passes.  If I don't run into buffs I end up on the deck like everyone else, usually with my throttle chopped getting there with the "right" amount of E.  Once on the deck Spits can't really run and they do attract a hoard.  Eveyone wants to kill a XVI as quickly as possible.

Well, that's why right there. There's a pretty small list of people that regularly fly that high, a smaller list still of those who are able to fight decently up there and an even smaller list of people who fly that high in a plane that would likely want to get intimately involved with an uber "hyper-modelled" ride like the Spit16. I suggest you separate in your mind sorties you intend to fly high and buff hunt and those you intend to engage other fighters. When you are on a sortie where you would like to be engaged by other fighters, fly a less uber ride much lower, I promise you will be rewarded with many more fights.

In all of those examples you were in the plane with the maneuverability advantage. I am not saying they couldn't have had a reasonable go at you depending on their E and skill level. But, I am saying you are faulting them for not engaging you when you were in a position of some advantage. I can never fault someone for that because it is completely logical, perhaps not the most fun, but it's the correct play logically when all other factors are equal.

When I am in my Typhoon a Spit16 can kiss my hairy white arse Co-E/Co-Alt. I'm going to either suck him down for a thorough  gang-banging or disengage until I have some E/Alt on him then come back and wax his arse. The privilege of being willingly engaged more often is reserved for those who fly aircraft not intrinsically superior to the vast majority of the planeset and not higher than 75% of the aircraft in your combat area. If you're not willing to give that up, you're going to continue to be disappointed I'm afraid.

I suggest you perform an experiment. Pick a plane from the list I mentioned earlier and never fly it above 10k, then report back to us how different your perception is of people's willingness to engage you.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:19:29 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »
Zazen, you tend to be right 90% of the time. :P  This is one of those times: Spit16 pilots must expect that other aircraft will be cautious about engaging them and won't give them the kind of fight they desire.  Expecting otherwise is laughable.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
Zazen, you tend to be right 90% of the time. :P  This is one of those times: Spit16 pilots must expect that other aircraft will be cautious about engaging them and won't give them the kind of fight they desire.  Expecting otherwise is laughable.

Thanks sir!  :salute Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then... :aok