Author Topic: What a friking boring game this has become  (Read 5318 times)

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Re: What a friking boring game this has become
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2008, 03:11:48 PM »
Depends, sometimes i just think 'screw it, they deserve a kill' and stick around to die, sometimes i want to land my kills or i dont think the enemy deservs a kill, then i will retreat and not feel bad. I only feel bad when i am forced to run, which never happens anymore. i just either win or die.

just yesterday, I found myself out in the middle of FT, and took out a couple of nits....ya I could have run home and landed my kills, but it is just not how I am.  Someone mentioned on 200 (in a fun way), the person I had just previously shot, that they were coming back for me.  I knew, seeings how I was the only rook in that area, and by the bar, that I would not be walking away...even though I could have.  Sure enough I ended up fighting, died, but had a great time.  everyone got back what they wanted, I got a good fun fight, and the "bad" guys got my scalp.

I would probably have stayed anyway, but after taking a few scalps, I just felt it would be kind of wrong somehow, to just leave the area because I was worried about dying.  I still had gas, still had ammo.  Truth be told, I could have grabbed alt, skirted the area and done all the things that would greatly increase my chances of living.  It's really just more fun, for me and others, to be that guy, who doesn't do the things to ensure their survival/landing kills, and go out in a blaze of glory:)
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
someone buy that man a beer!

:rock
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »
  It's really just more fun, for me and others, to be that guy, who doesn't do the things to ensure their survival/landing kills, and go out in a blaze of glory:)

I totally agree, pelt dispensers are...Ggggggreeaaat! <Tony The Tiger voice>    :aok
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:04:03 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
I think I can help here. What we are really talking about is perspective. What I mean by that is, everyone has a different idea of what is "reasonable". That concept of "reasonable" fluctuates wildly for a myriad of reasons, such as, personality, your plane, their plane, SA, familiarity, experience, skill, gunnery, etc. So, what seems perfectly reasonable to me may seem entirely preposterous to you. Then consider the fact that no two people ever have the same version of what happened retrospectively, there's always my version, your version and the truth. What I may consider you balking at a 1 vs 1 with me was really you seeing my 3 buddies I didn't even notice 4k out making a beeline in your general direction.

Everyone has different expectations from a sortie. One person's expectation may be to land 5 kills. Another person's expectation may be to get into a fight that gives him an exhilarating adrenalin surge. Regardless of your expectation, what you consider "reasonable" will be within that context. While it may be reasonable for Slapshot to dive into 7 Spit16's and see how many he can take out before he dies, that would not be reasonable to me. Conversely, I would have no problem egressing from a Co-Alt or higher Spit16 in my Typhoon until I had some E on him then come back and bounce him, that's very reasonable to me, but probably not to Slapshot.

Then there's the plane/player dynamic. What is reasonable for a 10 year veteran is not likely equally reasonable to a 2 weeker. By a similar token, what is reasonable in a Zeke may not be reasonable in a Jug.

So, assuming having fun is the goal for everyone, creating expectations, which is really just a short-term goal, combined with the player and the plane determines what is reasonable. There is no overarching, universally acceptable definition of what is reasonable. It is a very subjective concept. It doesn't increase the fun for you or anyone else to attempt to superimpose your concept of reasonable onto someone else. If you get to the point where everyone else seems to be playing "unreasonably" and that's making you unhappy, it's probably you that is being "unreasonable" in your expectations.

Slappy, I used you in my example because I knew you wouldn't mind for the purpose of illustration...

Do you test keyboards for a living Zaz?  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2008, 06:17:10 PM »
 pretty sure Zaz wakes up each day and has a hearty breakfast of toasted dictionary with a light thesaurus spread.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
pretty sure Zaz wakes up each day and has a hearty breakfast of toasted dictionary with a light thesaurus spread.

Haha, if you only knew the half of it...;)

You have to admit I'm getting better though. I've been making a conscious effort to use five one syllable words to express a single concept instead of one five syllable word. Other than this recreational forum the bulk of my writing is highly technical for specialized audiences...So, this kind of discussion forum is good "writer's therapy" for me, it helps me "decompress" my means of expression for more public consumption.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 07:59:52 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc