Author Topic: Time to upgrade need advise  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
Time to upgrade need advise
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »
My current computer was used to help design the pyramids so I figured I should upgrade.  I average 20 FPS in the MA so wanted to improve on that.

I am a tech and have built many computers but not for a very long time and have not really kept up with the technology so I could use some help.

I plan on keeping a few parts from my existing system: IDE drives, dvd, mouse etc.

This system is 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM and has a Radeon 1650 512 AGP video.

I'm looking at this for a replacement: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4102233&CatId=332

This video card only has 1 review that I found but looks like it would be at least as good as what I have:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3529983&sku=V261-2642&srkey=v261-2642

The motherboard dosn't have many expansion slots which is fine cause all I would be adding is my sound card so I don't use the onboard sound.

I'm just looking for some advise on this or maybe a better sugestion, money is tight but I don't want to get too cheap and miss a feature I may need or want later.
80th FS "Headhunters"Nose Art

S.A.P.P.-Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Time to upgrade need advise
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
What's your budget?  And what do you use your computer for?  Like 99% AH or do you do some other stuff (or would like to)?

Personally, I don't like barebones kits.  I confess that I see barebone kits advertised and I think "that's a good deal."  I then check it out and quick move on.  A lot of the time in barebones kits you find older/entry level parts.  Yes, the stuff you listed above will run AH very well.  But, PSU's that come in kits are very cheap and I'm one to never gamble on cheap PSU's.  You can generally price out something relatively in the same ballpark as barebones kits, but being able to pick better parts.

But let us know your budget and we can go from there.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:27:45 PM »
What operating system are you planning on using? Newegg has the Geforce 8800 GT on special for about that same price and IMO its a much better card. Otherwise looks good.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:49:45 AM »
The most obvious things I see is that with different size memory chips it will default to single channel mode, not dual channel, the motherboard only supports up to 1000 FSB speeds (1333 is the latest standard) and from what I've heard Power Up's are very unreliable power supplies.

Also, you can get an Nvidia video card for the same price that will likely kill the one you've chosen.

I posted this about a week ago and it would provide far better components:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,244173.0.html

Just eliminate the stuff you don't need.  I think the pricing works out close to what you're looking at.  You could back this motherboard down and still have a great system.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:51:36 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 05:47:59 AM »
The most obvious things I see is that with different size memory chips it will default to single channel mode, not dual channel, the motherboard only supports up to 1000 FSB speeds (1333 is the latest standard) and from what I've heard Power Up's are very unreliable power supplies.

Also, you can get an Nvidia video card for the same price that will likely kill the one you've chosen.

I posted this about a week ago and it would provide far better components:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,244173.0.html

Just eliminate the stuff you don't need.  I think the pricing works out close to what you're looking at.  You could back this motherboard down and still have a great system.

Oh yeah, good system for the bucks. I favor the E8500 or E8400 cpu though but that adds costs.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »
If you are intent on an AMD processor this might be a nice alternative motherboard for you:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128014

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »
What's your budget?  And what do you use your computer for?  Like 99% AH or do you do some other stuff (or would like to)?

Personally, I don't like barebones kits.  I confess that I see barebone kits advertised and I think "that's a good deal."  I then check it out and quick move on.  A lot of the time in barebones kits you find older/entry level parts.  Yes, the stuff you listed above will run AH very well.  But, PSU's that come in kits are very cheap and I'm one to never gamble on cheap PSU's.  You can generally price out something relatively in the same ballpark as barebones kits, but being able to pick better parts.

But let us know your budget and we can go from there.

I'm trying to keep the cost of the parts I need below 500.  Lately most of what I use this for is AH, everything else I do does not require much power, email, light Word processing, light bookeeping some web browsing and light web design running XP home and do not plan on switching to Vista.

Currently the items I plan on salvaging from the old system:

C: Drive 20 GB IDE - has Operating system and some program on it (691 MB Free)
D: Drive 120 GB IDE - has all programs and data (80 GB Free)

I really don't want to have to reload windows and lose all my info and some programs.  From what I'm reading though I may not have an option there.

I have to agree with you about the BB kits, though I was looking for a easy way out forgetting the facts that you pointed out.  I was concerned about not being able to run dual channel memory, having just heard about it the day before (I really need to refresh my knowledge) I called Tigerdirect and asked when researching the first system, the person there said it would run dual channel in that configuration. I had a feeling that was a incorrect statement cause I was told memory has to be identical.

I like AMD over Intel because the last system I built Intel was much more expensive for a similar system, it seems that is no longer the case.

Anyway I read your post of the components you sugested and made some alterations and this is what I'm thinking of now along with your list:
This Motherboard along with the Intel E8400 the combo deal saves me 15.00 which doesn't hurt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337
The only problem with that board is it only has 1 IDE header so I'm researching that a bit more.

I havn't had time to check the rest of the system, I'll do that later today.

So I think I may have CPU Motherboard and memory picked, now I need case PSU and Video solutions.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
That's (that and it's predicessor) been a very popular motherboard for a long time and is a good choice.  Gigabyte seems to own the under $100 quality motherboard market.  Be careful on the RAM selection though as some brands have shown compatibility issues with the Gigabyte boards.  Go to the Gigabyte web-site and select a DDR2 800 memory (currently the most common and best value) from their compatable memory listings and you won't have any issues.

I dount you'll find a board with more than one IDE header.  Everything is moving to SATA which is much faster.  I've got two old IDE drives as storage drives on my machine and a SATA boot drive.

You will have to re-install the OS.  You'll have driver and other conflicts if you don't.

The E8400 is a great chip but will be far more than you need for AH if you need to keep the price down.  You can, if you're comfortable with it, overclock any of the Intel Core2Duo chips up by about half a gig on stock cooling (a gig or more with aftermarket cooling).

If you're going with NVidia for a GPU, stick with the 9600, 8800 or 9800 series.  Any of these in your budget range will be more than you'll need.

BTW, here's another thread that might help you out:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,241617.0.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:20:59 PM by BaldEagl »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 12:37:43 PM »
I must have for once in my life with electronics gotten lucky.  You all so say Re-install the OS to avoid driver conflicts; However i went from AMD Athlon 2.2GHz (single core Socket 939), 2.5GB PC-3200 RAM, NVidia GeForce 7100 to AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.3GHz (Dual, docket AM2), 2GB PC2-6400 RAM, NVidia GeForce 7900GS, and all i ever had to do was re-register XP, not any conflicts (Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, PSU, DVD all were replaced).  Ether i did something right, or i am lucky :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:47:21 PM »
GIGABYTE GZ-X5BPD-500 Black SECC Steel / ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233039
$32.99
Bought this case for my parents rebuild.  Was impressed with it for the price.

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Free 2GB USB flash drive w/ purchase, while supplies last
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128337
$84.99
One of the top sellers on Newegg.

***Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
$169.99
***See next post.

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
$43.99
5 Eggs on 2200 reviews.  Lifetime warranty.  I use this brand.

Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply 115/ 230 V UL, CUL, TUV, FCC, and CB certification - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052
$69.99 - $25 Rebate = $44.99

SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102715
$94.99 - $15 Rebate = $79.99
Tomshardware.com Best video card for $100.  At $130 is the 9600GT

TOTAL AFTER REBATES (NO SHIPPING)
$456.94
+ S/H (Guess?) $50
$506.94

Price before rebates:
$496.94
+ S/H (Guess?) $50
$546.94
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:50:15 PM by Fulmar »
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
Or save $50 (covers the gost of shipping and would keep it at $500).

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052
$120

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 03:23:36 PM »
I wouldn't bother trying to save your 20gb drive.  Not really worth it.  You could build your new machine first and then copy everything you want to save off the old machine over the network, or you could build the new machine and hook up the old drive, copy it off into a directory on your new 500gb or whatever drive, and then remove the old drive and put it on a shelf somewhere.  The 120 might be worth saving, it's up to you.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
Actually BaldEagl, if you are going to cu corners, it is better to cut the video card side.  The game is more CPU dependent than video card dependent.  A faster CPU can make up for a slower video card, but the vice-versa is not true at all.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Stogie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 06:19:55 PM »
I seem to have come up with a pretty good system thanks to the help everyone here has given.  I'm semi stuck on the video card.  The one Fulmar recommended, SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card or a Geforce 9600 GT.

In the past it was sort of a given that ATI worked best with AMD and NVidia worked best with Intel.  Not sure if that is the case anymore, does anyone know about this? (could have been a myth).

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »
I have an AMD CPU and NVidia GPU and they work great together.  Never tried ATI with it but would be hard to work much better than this.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"