Author Topic: Give the people what they want  (Read 3340 times)

Offline TC31st

• Zinc Member
Give the people what they want
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:43:51 AM »
Does HTC really care what we want?  I believe they do.  I think it would be absolutely foolish of any business to ignore their customer base and disregard every reasonable request.  The secret to any successful venture is to keep your customers happy - and, after all, we are their meal-ticket. Even though AH has virtually NO competition and they could get away with just doing nothing, I believe the "guys in Texas" are trying to "improve" this game and make it better, sometimes with great results, and sometimes -- well, not so great. But, at least they are trying.  Which brings me to the point of this post.  All compliments and ankle-humping aside, maybe its time to consider that "new" and "improved" is not always neccessarily better.  Granted, the graphics and new plane models are great and I'm sure a LOT of work was put into these areas along with many other refinements but if we take the blinders off and step back and listen, in generlal the player base is not having FUN.  The tremendous response to the "Bring back the MA" and "this game is booring" posts speaks volumes. 

Of course you can't please everybody and no matter what you do someone will be unhappy, this is a fact of life.  HTC can also scratch their heads and say "we gave em great graphics and new planes and tanks and terrains and their still bichin', what the hell do they want?"  I think the answer is: "they want to have fun" and all the eye candy is useless when every night its the S.O.S. over and over and over.  Add to that lag and low frame rates and arena lock -outs and you've got an increasingly frustrated and digruntled (but still loyal) player base.

Personally I am very gratefull for all the hard work done to improve the graphics and always want new plane models but yes, the game NEEDS a fun-injection.  So, I have all this philosophy, but what about HOW to make it fun?

Well, maybe sometimes to move foward, you have to look back.  How about dusting off some of the "moldy-oldie" concepts and bringing them back into the game.  For example;  remember "relaxed realism" and "Full realism" ?  That would quell a lot of the whining and also deal with the server load issues.  Diversity is the key - give em other stuff to do - the old WWI arena was great!  The "Jet arena" was great.  Getting tired of the MA stuff, go fly jets or biplanes.  Now you got multiple arenas with plenty of stuff to do to keep everybody happy. (and, btw this would also pretty much eliminate the need for ENY)

Now, I'm talkin like this is as easy to do as flippin a switch.  I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be.  I know its been done, but is the code still available?  Do these even still exist?  If it is at all possible, IMHO bringing back these concepts or something along similar lines would give this game a tremendous boost and really make it fun again.

my 2C for what its worth...

TC

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Give the people what they want
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:58 AM »
Well, maybe sometimes to move foward, you have to look back.  How about dusting off some of the "moldy-oldie" concepts and bringing them back into the game.  For example;  remember "relaxed realism" and "Full realism" ?  That would quell a lot of the whining and also deal with the server load issues.  Diversity is the key - give em other stuff to do - the old WWI arena was great!  The "Jet arena" was great.  Getting tired of the MA stuff, go fly jets or biplanes.  Now you got multiple arenas with plenty of stuff to do to keep everybody happy. (and, btw this would also pretty much eliminate the need for ENY)

I don't remember any of this in AH.

I remember Korea and Relaxed Arenas in the Old Air Warrior.

I remember the WWI Arena in Warbirds.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »

Now, I'm talkin like this is as easy to do as flippin a switch.  I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be.  I know its been done, but is the code still available?  Do these even still exist?  If it is at all possible, IMHO bringing back these concepts or something along similar lines would give this game a tremendous boost and really make it fun again.

my 2C for what its worth...

TC

Well, I have been playing for 6+ years and in that time, I have never seen any of those "notions" implemented in Aces High ... so I don't think there is anything to "bring back" ... sounds like your confused with another game.

Also ...

There are no "server load" issues ... Skuzzy has stated that the servers are hardly stressed.

We already have multiple arenas and I don't see how adding any more (different) arenas would stop the need for ENY.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »
Now, I'm talkin like this is as easy to do as flippin a switch.  I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be.  I know its been done, but is the code still available?

Different game, no switch to flip.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
Im glad we have the game to play at all thanks. HTC does listen to its users. The people that are bored are probably experiencing 'growth' as an online gamer in AH. By adjusting their gaming habits they will rediscover excitement... or not. Dont care. Mostly the complaint about people running is just a whine.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »
Titanic tuesday has the most UFOs, the most lag, the most rubber bullets and "funky" issues, to the point I will NOT log into the MAs anymore on Tuesday. I know at least a handful of people have claimed the same after I mentioned it before.

The "servers hardly stressed" bit is BS. SOMEthing is stressed. Check out high-volume FSOs and scenarios where we get dozens upon dozens of UFO dots that aren't really there.

P.S. It's a "I want! I want!" post disguised as a friendly "thanks" post. Relaxed realism? Go play Fighter Ace. About as relaxed as it gets.

Bring back the MA? Hell no. It's not the same. With all the server changes since then the single MA just doesn't work like it used to and is the worst gaming experience that can be offered now in AH, when considering playability and quality of connection.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:10 AM »
only place i have "funky" stuff going on is when theres hordes in the 50s.....

fly away from the main group and its totally fine.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »
This thread is gonna go places.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
Ive got in idea about the "ENY". Say ENY is 15,and the spit16 ENY is 5 instead of not being able to fly it they would be able to up it for 15 perks. A sliding perk scale value for the planes.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
only place i have "funky" stuff going on is when theres hordes in the 50s.....

fly away from the main group and its totally fine.

Fly offline and the connection is totally fine, too.

That's not saying much.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
<snip>The "servers hardly stressed" bit is BS. SOMEthing is stressed. Check out high-volume FSOs and scenarios where we get dozens upon dozens of UFO dots that aren't really there.<snip>
Bring back the MA? Hell no. It's not the same. With all the server changes since then the single MA just doesn't work like it used to and is the worst gaming experience that can be offered now in AH, when considering playability and quality of connection.

You are making assumptions about things you have no knowledge of.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
Ive got in idea about the "ENY". Say ENY is 15,and the spit16 ENY is 5 instead of not being able to fly it they would be able to up it for 15 perks. A sliding perk scale value for the planes.

I have no problem with people spending perks to fly low ENY rides when their side's numbers are high.  Good idea.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:41:50 AM »
The "servers hardly stressed" bit is BS. SOMEthing is stressed. Check out high-volume FSOs and scenarios where we get dozens upon dozens of UFO dots that aren't really there.

Like in frame 2 or Rangoon. We never found the bombers(untill it was to late) because of all the planes in one area.
Tour 79

"The Ringer"

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:33 AM »
I want more wednesday babes! Please!
I am a spy!

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
I have no problem with people spending perks to fly low ENY rides when their side's numbers are high.  Good idea.

Thanks i have one every now and then.  :aok
Tour 79

"The Ringer"