Author Topic: Lost UDP switching to TCP  (Read 1373 times)

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
Re: Lost UDP switching to TCP
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 01:57:30 PM »
Speaking of this, is there anyway to get back to UDP short of restarting? Usually the switch is the result of a short term disruption for me, but I can't tell if it reverts to UDP after switching to TCP for some reason. I seem to do ok on TCP, but I know it's not as speedy as UDP.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 01:59:33 PM »
Speaking of this, is there anyway to get back to UDP short of restarting? Usually the switch is the result of a short term disruption for me, but I can't tell if it reverts to UDP after switching to TCP for some reason. I seem to do ok on TCP, but I know it's not as speedy as UDP.

Are you behind a router?
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
Are you behind a router?
Certainly. Isn't everyone?

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 03:47:39 PM »
Certainly. Isn't everyone?

I would hope so. You are forwarding ports 2000-5000 right?
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 01:07:24 PM »
I would hope so. You are forwarding ports 2000-5000 right?

It flat out isn't necessary. Disable the port forwarding in your router and plan AH, and you'll see that it all runs fine.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 05:34:36 PM »
It flat out isn't necessary. Disable the port forwarding in your router and plan AH, and you'll see that it all runs fine.

-Llama
How so Llama? I used to get UDP errors constantly till I started forwarding.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
way too many discos lately, kinda taking the fun out.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 05:12:41 PM »
How so Llama? I used to get UDP errors constantly till I started forwarding.

I have on two separate occasions had about 90 computers all playing either AH or WB through a $50 linksys wired router, and the connection was fine for all without designating any special port forwarding for anyone. I sometimes have 4 or 5 PCs going through a WRT54GS all playing AH without port forwarding enabled and the connection is fine for them all too.

I'd be guessing that your UDP errors were a result of various co-incidental netstorms instead of a lack of port forwarding at your router.

-Llama

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
I have on two separate occasions had about 90 computers all playing either AH or WB through a $50 linksys wired router, and the connection was fine for all without designating any special port forwarding for anyone. I sometimes have 4 or 5 PCs going through a WRT54GS all playing AH without port forwarding enabled and the connection is fine for them all too.

I'd be guessing that your UDP errors were a result of various co-incidental netstorms instead of a lack of port forwarding at your router.

-Llama

i never even knew about this port fowarding thing. when i first hooked up my linksys router, i just had to get connected to the net, and everything else has been fine
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 12:43:51 PM »
i never even knew about this port fowarding thing. when i first hooked up my linksys router, i just had to get connected to the net, and everything else has been fine

That's what I'm saying.

There are probably 2000 or 3000 players who connect to the AH servers each month. I'd guess 75% (at least) have routers, and only about 5% of those people even know anything about port forwarding. That's a few thousand players connecting through routers who aren't explicitly opening and forwarding ports to play AH.

-Llama

Offline MachNum

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 03:20:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm one of them. There is no explicit port forwarding enabled in my router. AH works fine in that configuration.