Author Topic: Ki-61  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
Re: Ki-61
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »
I have been flying the 61 almost exclusively since this thread started.  i forgot how nice the bird really is.  After a couple of flights to work the bugs out I had 3 sorties in a row of 3, 2, and 5 kills all landed.  The 5 kill sortie I bugged out with 30 cannon and almost 350 12.7mm MG remaining.  Yes I know enough for 5 more but I was already pressing my luck with 4 and 5. She accelerates slow but maintains speed well.  I did get my tail handed to me by a Spit 8 though. :aok
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 08:19:04 PM »
I have been flying the 61 almost exclusively since this thread started.  i forgot how nice the bird really is.  After a couple of flights to work the bugs out I had 3 sorties in a row of 3, 2, and 5 kills all landed.  The 5 kill sortie I bugged out with 30 cannon and almost 350 12.7mm MG remaining.  Yes I know enough for 5 more but I was already pressing my luck with 4 and 5. She accelerates slow but maintains speed well.  I did get my tail handed to me by a Spit 8 though. :aok

Ki-61s are great fighters as long as they have some E. Getting into a prolonged turn fight at low altitude is where it starts to show its warts. Poor acceleration (generally under-powered) and miserable flaps will conspire to make things uncomfortable very quickly. P-39s have similar issues (especially the D model). Knowing when to bug out is big part of being successful in the Ki-61.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »
After drawing this plane in last weeks FSO, i have become thoroughly addicted to flying it, its a great plane, and i plan on spending alot of time in it

Karaya, if you have any tips you could send my way id appreciate it, I know you are a killer in this thing ( actually if i remember right, you have killed me flying it lol) and i have actually been meaning to start a thread looking for someone to show me the ins and outs,

Thanks
 :salute
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 10:54:06 PM »
Let me know when you wish to meet in the DA.   :aok

Shooting you down won't make the Ki 61 any better of an aircraft.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 05:12:52 PM »
This thing is a beast!!!

Might be my new favorite Furballing bird for a while. Took it up for the hell of it, nothing better to do Friday night. Ended up going home with no damage and 13 clean kills. I've never flown it either. I forgot what base it was but I was on the deck turn fighting. I was outturning Spit 16's with no flaps down, running down La7's, etc. I absolutely love the 20mm nose cannons. Are the ballistics any good on them? Or was I just lucky? They seemed to be able to tear any plane to pieces with a few rounds. I couldn't tell if the 50cals were doing any help to me, but I didn't spend more than 3 seconds on a plane before ripping him to pieces.

Wow .... I don't know what your doing but running down La's in a Ki61 is something I can't do. It's a good all around plane but La speed isn't one of them. 13 clean kills with just 240 or is it 250 (I forget) is a tall order. If I get 5 kills on one flight I feel like I did well but 13?

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »
250 20mm and 500 12.7mm
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
Shooting you down won't make the Ki 61 any better of an aircraft.

I take this as you're too scared?     
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 07:14:19 PM »
10% plane...90% pilot  :aok
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:34 PM »

Wow .... I don't know what your doing but running down La's in a Ki61 is something I can't do. It's a good all around plane but La speed isn't one of them. 13 clean kills with just 240 or is it 250 (I forget) is a tall order. If I get 5 kills on one flight I feel like I did well but 13?

I've run down La7's on occasion, however with a good grasp of "what you opponent is going to do next", you can maneuver yourself accordingly.  

90% of the time I am around 7,500 ft.    You have one MAYBE two passes to "run any hot rod down".    99% of the time, you have one pass.   You aren't running anything down in the Ki-61 OTD.  

I rarely pick and often turnfighting (none of the "angles" crap, I turn it) in it.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »
Too bad the dive performance of the Tony isn't accurately modeled.  In real life in a high speed dive, right turns were almost impossible, which lead to the US defensive tactic of entering into a high speed dive to the right to escape from a Ki-61.  From what I've seen, the Tony in AH doesn't suffer from that.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2009, 04:19:12 AM »
I think the Ki flys really good in rolling scissors, I feel that the plane that can get slower in those will most likely win the engagement and I know the Ki61 can go slooooow which is where the flaps do come into play, im no expert but I have flown the ki61 exclusively for awhile and found it is quite the dogfight against any plane and any pilot if flown right :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
Had a few nice flights last night and today. Each with 3-6 kills. MY record in the Ki is 27 and 2 which I think is pretty good for not really flying it much. I love the fact that I can go from running someone down to turning with them almost instantly.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com