Author Topic: Palin Speaks!  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: Palin Speaks!
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
Interesting side note.  I flipped rapidly through all the news channels right after the speech to catch as much of the analysis I could from the networks... amusingly there was no commentary from only one outfit, MSNBC.  I kept flipping back as Palin made the rounds on stage... still nothing.  Every other network making comment after comment... nothing from MSNBC.  I must have done it four times, at least 2-3 minutes of dead air as she walked around devoid of any commentary at all.  Was odd, but could Palin have hit such a home run that Olberman was sitting there speechless, frothing at the mouth searching for anything to say? 

These kinds of things entertain me.

:)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
Interesting side note.  I flipped rapidly through all the news channels right after the speech to catch as much of the analysis I could from the networks... amusingly there was no commentary from only one outfit, MSNBC.  I kept flipping back as Palin made the rounds on stage... still nothing.  Every other network making comment after comment... nothing from MSNBC.  I must have done it four times, at least 2-3 minutes of dead air as she walked around devoid of any commentary at all.  Was odd, but could Palin have hit such a home run that Olberman was sitting there speechless, frothing at the mouth searching for anything to say? 

She hit a home run...
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2008, 11:32:46 PM »
As a footnote, I think the presence of her family was appropriate and positive.  Her youngest daughter looked happy and cute, her infant son didn't seem to mind all the hoopla, and the rest of the family helped fill in the background of a solidly grounded hockey mom / mayor / governor / VP candidate.  People blathering about how her family shouldn't have been there are just pissed she's a good VP candidate and are grasping *anything* to bash.  It was appropriate and they seemed to both contribute to the event and enjoy themselves as well.  It's going to be a tough campaign and an even tougher 4 or 8 years if McCain / Palin are elected, so why begrudge them a little fun to kick it all off?  And puhleeze, the baby can handle it.  He looked fine and my own baby has fallen asleep quite comfortably in busy public places, so that's a pretty dumb thing to criticize.

Yeah, her disabled infant son was able to communicate to Mom&Co just how loud the noise was. Any infant, disabled or not, should never be exposed to such an environment during their formative years unless you have plans that don't include that child. You can't use your kids as a token.

I'd have had more respect if she left the child with a Nanny at the Hotel instead of using him as a token at the Convo.

Will he remember the Convo?

Will he remember what he heard (WHAT!?!?)?

The only thing the kid will live with is  permanent hearing damage.

Pass the hearing aid!

Seriously, I'd have never taken my child to a mass gathering like a political convo. There is nothing for the child to gain from it, only the opportunistic parent.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »

Well tell us what a spectacle FAUXNews made of it. You know anything reported by any other network is fiction.
We deserve the facts, nothing less.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2008, 11:36:50 PM »
Yeah, her disabled infant son was able to communicate to Mom&Co just how loud the noise was. Any infant, disabled or not, should never be exposed to such an environment during their formative years unless you have plans that don't include that child. You can't use your kids as a token.

I'd have had more respect if she left the child with a Nanny at the Hotel instead of using him as a token at the Convo.

Pass the hearing aid!

Seriously, I'd have never taken my child to a mass gathering like a political convo. There is nothing for the child to gain from it, only the opportunistic parent.

Pathetic.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2008, 11:39:31 PM »

Pass the hearing aid!

Yup. Yer right... my sister, 7 years older than me; used to haul me with her everywhere. Massive noise, screaming, wailing... just like a convention. For every damn day for the first 4 years of my life.

It's left me a wasted soul. Every time I hear a crowd roar, I want my blankie.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »
Well tell us what a spectacle FAUXNews made of it. You know anything reported by any other network is fiction.
We deserve the facts, nothing less.
What does a fun question about the lack of anything being said by MSNBC have to do with what was said on Fox News?  At least they were saying something.  On ABC Stephanopholous was right on top of it when the speech ended, same with Blitzer and Cooper on CNN. 

It was a fun hypolthetical.  Relax, rpm.  You have 9 weeks to really get em all in a bunch.

:aok

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2008, 11:44:41 PM »
Here's a Transcript of Gov. Palin's speech from ADN:

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/515148.html

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2008, 11:48:47 PM »

Its a fair point.  I would guess the Dbs were somewhere in the 90 to 100 range.  As long as the exposure was not continuous for more than 30-45 minutes the kid will probably be fine.

Politics is all about opportunity and the taking advantage of it pure and simple.

I love the woman.  I thought she stood there with fortitude and conviction and was simple and gracious, very gracious.  Her oratory skill is comendable and obviously naturally come by.
Obama is a great speaker but he speaks in a complex way that always leaves more to be interpreted than directly understood.  She on the other hand, speaks directly and is easily understood.

Although Im not a church going man, and disagree with some points expressed in the new testament I would rather surround myself with people who had faith in Christ and God, or at least respect for those who do, than surround myself with people who have no faith or even despise the tenants of Christianity.

This is not a done deal and there will be more surprises as November rolls near for both teams vying for the oval office.  Expect more scandals and revelations.  Its just the way we play the game.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:50:35 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2008, 11:49:03 PM »
What does a fun question about the lack of anything being said by MSNBC have to do with what was said on Fox News?  At least they were saying something.  On ABC Stephanopholous was right on top of it when the speech ended, same with Blitzer and Cooper on CNN. 

It was a fun hypolthetical.  Relax, rpm.  You have 9 weeks to really get em all in a bunch.

:aok
Sorry Stang, I was asking from a parent's perspective. I'd never expose my child to a 90db+ environment. But then, I'm not using my child as a free ride to the White House. Priorities, I guess.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2008, 11:53:47 PM »

Obama is a great speaker but he speaks in a complex way that always leaves more to be interpreted than directly understood.  She on the other hand, speaks directly and is easily understood.
So he speaks in deep thoughts and she speaks in sound bites. Yeah, that's what I'm looking for.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
Oh, please! Nothing at this level is ad-libed!
Well I just did a quick read through of the prepared text, couldn't find the line.  Don't think I missed it though?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Conventions/story?id=5720910&page=1

Pretty sure she did it on page 2 at the top in the PTA line...

;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 11:56:58 PM by Stang »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »
Well I just did a quick read through of the prepared text, couldn't find the line.  Don't think I missed it though?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Conventions/story?id=5720910&page=1

Pretty sure she did it on page 2 at the top in the PTA line...

;)
If she's ad-libing at this level, what is she going to do at an important weapons negotiation?

I could live with someone like Gingrich, Liberman or Romney. Palin just does not have the chops to play at this level.

Flashing yer tits will not get you a treaty with the Russkies.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »

Appeasement?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »
If she's ad-libing at this level, what is she going to do at an important weapons negotiation?

I could live with someone like Gingrich, Liberman or Romney. Palin just does not have the chops to play at this level.

Pathetic and sexist.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.