Author Topic: So you want a 1vs1 in the main arena?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
So you want a 1vs1 in the main arena?
« on: September 04, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
It happens every month.  Someone announces that they're ready to quit the game because it's just not like it used to be, and no one will fight 1vs1 in the main arena. 

In my experience, I find 1vs1 fights

1. When the darbar is very small for both friend and enemy.
2. I'm in an aircraft with high wingloading.

It's really the second point that's worthy of a tiny discussion.  Very few people will hang around for a 1vs1 when you're in one of the best dueling aircraft in the game, e.g. the Spit16.  On the other hand, almost everyone is willing to duke it out to the death with you if you're in a P-47 or 190A-8.  If you want 1vs1 fights, fly aircraft with performance envelopes similar to these two; you'll rarely see your opponent run away from the fight.  Even an F6F is far more likely to have its opponents hang around than a N1K.  Therefore, don't fly the first tier aircraft (ENY<10) if you're looking for a 1vs1 fight.

Neurologically, this game triggered dopamine for your brain when you first started to play it.  As the years go by, you become desensitized to that pleasure because you've overdone it.  Having fun is up to you; blaming others for your lack of enjoyment is probably a sign that it's time to take a long break. :salute
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 03:29:42 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: So you want a 1vs1 in the main arena?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »
Either follow this tip or sign the petition:

Bring back H2H, for paying customers.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
I had this happen to me last night that realy got me POed. I got a 1v1 with a Typh, and started to fight him. I see this Hurri and break off to get away from the Hurri. I finally get away from the Hurri 6K away, and saw that the Typh was still on me. I begin to fight him again, and the Hurri comes back to kill me. Those of you who were on last night, I wasn't very pleased with the player that did that, and said some things on 200 to him; But what I think about that, thats the extent of a score *hore.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »
lol no one wants to 1 v. 1 w/ my spit16 when i fly it  :( Always get gang bang!!!
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »
It happens every month.  Someone announces that they're ready to quit the game because it's just not like it used to be, and no one will fight 1vs1 in the main arena. 

It's really the second point that's worthy of a tiny discussion.  Very few people will hang around for a 1vs1 when you're in one of the best dueling aircraft in the game, e.g. the Spit16.  On the other hand, almost everyone is willing to duke it out to the death with you if you're in a P-47 or 190A-8.  If you want 1vs1 fights, fly aircraft with performance envelopes similar to these two; you'll rarely see your opponent run away from the fight.  Even an F6F is far more likely to have its opponents hang around than a N1K.  Therefore, don't fly the first tier aircraft (ENY<10) if you're looking for a 1vs1 fight.

Aint that the truth!!    :D
325th Checkertails

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
I had this happen to me last night that realy got me POed. I got a 1v1 with a Typh, and started to fight him. I see this Hurri and break off to get away from the Hurri. I finally get away from the Hurri 6K away, and saw that the Typh was still on me. I begin to fight him again, and the Hurri comes back to kill me. Those of you who were on last night, I wasn't very pleased with the player that did that, and said some things on 200 to him; But what I think about that, thats the extent of a score *hore.

What if the hurri asked the tiffie if he could help?  I'm not disagreeing with you though, I hate the third conn in on a 1v1 but it's the nature of the MA. Ironically I had this happen to me last night as well.  I left an enemy airbase with a nik in tow.  Left him behind and out of icon range but an la7 dove on me.  I reversed the la7 and he immediately ran back to the nik. I could have fought them both but I hate giving kills to third party dweeb riders. The la7 had already tried to HO me twice so I wasn't in much of a sporting mood with them anyway. I left again and the la7 tried to run me down, again with the nik in tow.  The la7 got within  1k before I made it to ack. I'm just not going to give some third party niktard a chance at a pick if I can help it.  :)
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
I can't imagine even for a second :huh thinking other cons are going to leave my one on one fight alone. :rofl

That's usually when I get picked is when I spend too much time on one guy.  Too bad we didn't have fire and forget missiles...

When I want to one on one I find one.  When I fly into a furball I expect to be a easy target as I track someone else,  I'm constantly checking my own six...

I think those people who complain are also the ones that say "check 6 would've been nice" when they get shot down...  in a furball.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
I guess I just don't get it. 

Best I can figure anything goes in the MA, but a few constantly complain about it.  If you just want an one on one fight, then take it to the DA.  Seems to me that what the DA is supposed to be used for.

Before you start jumping me for my opinion, I just want to state I have been picked by the biggest names in this game while in an one on one fight.  It seems the ones that do most of the complaining, are the ones I constantly see picking others.

The above comments are not directed at anyone specifically, just stating my opinion, and I know we all have one.

Fred
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:46:10 PM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »
lol no one wants to 1 v. 1 w/ my spit16 when i fly it  :( Always get gang bang!!!

Well that's what you get for flying a spixteen...

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »

I used to fly nothing but Spits.  Then I got away from that for quite awhile, still flying Spits but many other planes as well. 

The past few camps I've been back mostly in my old Spit XVI and I can attest I get nothing but ganged.

This camp I've only flown one fighter sortie so far but it was in a 109E-4.  I got into a long, fun, extended one on one with a N1K while both friendlies and enemys flew nearby leaving us alone.  The friendlies asked if I wanted their help.  I can only guess the other side did the same.  And this was on Titanic Tuesday!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »

Neurologically, this game triggered dopamine for your brain when you first started to play it.  As the years go by, you become desensitized to that pleasure because you've overdone it.  Having fun is up to you; blaming others for your lack of enjoyment is probably a sign that it's time to take a long break. :salute

planes i've seen run from my hellkitty::

spit5, and 9, zeke(both varients) hurri2c, 190(can't remember the varient), p51b, and a couple others i can't remember right now.

i've noticed that other cats, fm2's, spixteens, the occasional yak, and lala's generally fight. the spixteens, and lala's tend to ho, while the rest are great fights, riding the stall horn. i usually lose too  :rofl but since it was a fun fight, i don't really care either.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 04:52:10 PM »

that's why i don't fly the spixteen anymore
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
I can't imagine even for a second :huh thinking other cons are going to leave my one on one fight alone. :rofl

That's usually when I get picked is when I spend too much time on one guy.  Too bad we didn't have fire and forget missiles...

When I want to one on one I find one.  When I fly into a furball I expect to be a easy target as I track someone else,  I'm constantly checking my own six...

I think those people who complain are also the ones that say "check 6 would've been nice" when they get shot down...  in a furball.

if i want a 1-1, i just fly around near a furball....sooner or later someone will notice me, and come kill me :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
1 on 1s are easy to find, they just don't stay 1 on 1s   :D  Bosco was saying how he broke off from his 1vs1 because a Hurri shows up. Don't be a wimp, fight them both!! Ones going to BnZ you the other is going to TnB you. Finish off the hurri then go back on the typh....if he don't run from ya.

More often than not I'll ask if a 1 vs 1 guy needs help. If he says yes, I'm in ! If I'm winging with a squadmate, there is NEVER a 1vs 1, we are are 2 on however many there is.

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
People always run from a K4  :rolleyes:
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.