Author Topic: ANWR = Arctic National Wildlife Refuge  (Read 3532 times)

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: ANWR = Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
Last I heard, oil supply wasn't the problem.  Refineries are the bottle-neck.  The EPA put a massive restriction on them in the 70s.  I don't even know if any new ones have been built in the USA since then.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
Can someone remind me why we purchased Alaska from Russia?
See Rule #4

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 07:38:19 PM »
By the way, drilling now won't help oil prices for quite a while IIRC.

Wrong.  Oil speculators will lower the prices if they know oil will be available in the future.  That means a drop in prices in the very near future once it is known that drilling will occur.

I say anyone who says we should be drilling in ANWR needs to sell their 10 MPG Urban Assault Vehicles first

And you need to stop going to the grocery store for your food since it's trucks that bring food to it. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:48:53 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 07:40:04 PM »
Can someone remind me why we purchased Alaska from Russia?

moose turd squeezings for surfboard wax?
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 07:42:49 PM »
moose turd squeezings for surfboard wax?
Surfs up.
See Rule #4

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
Last I heard, oil supply wasn't the problem.  Refineries are the bottle-neck.  The EPA put a massive restriction on them in the 70s.  I don't even know if any new ones have been built in the USA since then.

I think thats partly right.

But here's the deal....

IF...and lets just use a number here...If your spending 10 dollars for oil every month and you could save 1 dollar or maybe even 2....why wouldn't you do it? You need the oil...someone will drill it at thier expense....and you can save some money. No brainer. I relaise it's a bit more complex....but the fact that the U.S. is just sitting on quite a lot of oil , and yet people are still willing to just say nope...not doing it...no way is just beyond me. ANd the first words are...Well we need to become energy independent. Like that will just magically happen. Gonna take even MORE money to find all the way to get bio fuels , clean coal , on and on.

In the mean time because the tree hugger lobby and the joe do gooders stomp thier feet and throw tantrums the rest of us have to just sit back and take it.....

Well I for one say F that....sick of the whining...drill it and get started...while thats going on we can research and build nuclear plants. Build a couple more refineries and get started towards less and less money going out of this country and staying here to work FOR this country.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:30:49 PM by RedTop »
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »
This is the way to go in comparison to drilling & it is  technology that works Hitler kept his war machine running on it. Plus no huge pipe lines from Alaska to here in the lower 48 rail & road would solve all the transportation issues & it is still cheaper than drilling for it.    http://governor.mt.gov/hottopics/faqsynthetic.asp

Very intresting...One problem...Tree hugers crying when we start the mining process.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »

So build more refineries.....AND drill in ANWR. We will need the refineries anyways if they start refining coal to make synthetic fuel.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 10:03:47 PM »
Very intresting...One problem...Tree hugers crying when we start the mining process.

Hand the tree huggers a box of kleenex and tell them to get over it. This country has bigger problems than their emotional issues over mining.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »
n the mean time because the tree hugger lobby and the joe do gooders stomp thier feet and throw tantrums the rest of us have to just sit back and take it.....

Well I for one say F that....sick of the whining...drill it and get started...while thats going on we can research and build nuclear plants. Build a couple more refineries and get started towards less and less money going out of this country and staying here to work FOR this country.

Quoted for Truth.

Offline Druss

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
If you recall correctly from where?

Just the announcement that we are going to drill will lower the price now.

I'm with you on that, Donzo!   :rock

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 11:17:09 PM »
Last time I looked, ANWAR was in Alaska.

Ain't it an Alaskan issue? Nobody in Alaska seems to mind drillin the hell outta the place, including the Eskimos.

Since the Federal Policy on offshore drilling has been relaxed to a 'state decision' on their coastlines, why in hell is there a problem with the Fed's relaxing the restrictions on ANWAR?

Politics, I'm thinkin...

Of course it is polotics the only reason they want permission to drill there is so they can set a legal precedent & then go drill any other place they choose to at a later date. If oil was found at Yellow stone for example they could always come back with well you let us at Anwar.

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2008, 11:32:03 PM »
So build more refineries.....AND drill in ANWR. We will need the refineries anyways if they start refining coal to make synthetic fuel.

Building more refineries will help because there hasn't been many built or rebuilt since the 70's........

Drilling in the NWR will only be a stop gap..... Imagine a tank full of oil with a few holes in it. drilling more holes in the tank is only going to make it empty quicker. Maybe drilling will reduce the price of crude for the short term but we have to look at the future and ask should we drill more holes in the tank or save some for future.

The refineries for crude are different than the ones that produce suspended coal fuel or coal gas.
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »
Of course it is polotics the only reason they want permission to drill there is so they can set a legal precedent & then go drill any other place they choose to at a later date. If oil was found at Yellow stone for example they could always come back with well you let us at Anwar.

Hell; if they found oil in Teddy Roosevelt's head at Rushmore we should drill for it. Ask Teddy... he wuz a Republican before they turned on him. ;)

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2008, 11:52:38 PM »
Building more refineries will help because there hasn't been many built or rebuilt since the 70's........

Drilling in the NWR will only be a stop gap..... Imagine a tank full of oil with a few holes in it. drilling more holes in the tank is only going to make it empty quicker. Maybe drilling will reduce the price of crude for the short term but we have to look at the future and ask should we drill more holes in the tank or save some for future.

The refineries for crude are different than the ones that produce suspended coal fuel or coal gas.

Of course drilling at ANWR is a stop gap measure, if that's all you drill for. I'm for drilling wherever we find the stuff.....and pursuing Nuclear power and any alternative power we can come up with. Drilling will help us in the short term while we get other things up to speed, bio diesel and synthetic fuel for instance.