Author Topic: Shrub Kills Panzer, News at 11  (Read 196 times)

Offline usarmy

• Zinc Member
Shrub Kills Panzer, News at 11
« on: October 30, 2001, 04:43:00 PM »
Someone explain to me how a little shrub can take out a Panzer, but yet I can hit a panzer with 3 AP rounds and nothing?   :mad:

I'm not talking about a tree either. That stupid shrub was smaller than the tank!!!   :confused:

usarmy
CO, Rogue Squadron
"Shoot Em in the Face"

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
hit any of those rocklike sheep? or is it sheeplike rocks?

deadly  :)

Offline Achttag

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2001, 04:35:00 AM »
An explanation for the sheep (for sheep read dogs in this example), perhaps? OK so its a pathetic one, the sheep should be so many red smears where Panzers have been operating.

The Soviet Red Army once trained dogs to destroy enemy tanks. The dogs were trained to associate the underside of tanks with food and were fitted with a 26lb explosive device strapped to their backs. Once the dogs crawled under the tanks, the device was triggered and exploded destroying the tank (and of course the dog). Unfortunately this didn't always work as planned as the dogs were trained using Soviet tanks so were more likely to run under these than the German tanks. As many as 25 German tanks were put out of action this way during the battles for Stalingrad and Kursk.

Sorry, no source, so this story is probably apocryphal.

Achttag
<< Dragon Hawks >>

Offline Achttag

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2001, 04:36:00 AM »
While we are on the subject, heres how tough Panzers VI's actually were to incoming fire.

A graphic description of what it was to fight in a Tiger was recorded by Leutnant Zabel (sPzAbt.503/3.Kp) in the following account of his impression of the enemy's ability to inflict battle damage to a Tiger:

"On 10 and 11 February 1943 in an attack on the collective farm west of Sserernikowo, Kampfgruppe Sander faced greatly superior forces. The Tigers in the lead platoon drew most of the enemy fire to themselves. The fire came mostly from the right flank and the front from tanks, anti-tank guns, and infantry with anti-tank rifles, all opening fire at the longest range possible."

"At the beginning of the attack, my Tiger was hit on the front of the superstructure by a 7.62 cm anti-tank gun. The track links, which had been fastened to the superstructure front plate by a steel bar, were shot away. We heard a a dull clang and felt a slight jolt inside the Tiger. At the same time, we observed many near misses striking the ground to the front and the side of the Tiger."

"Shortly thereafter, I received a hit on the commander's cupola from a 4.5 cm anti-tank gun. The brackets holding the glass vision block flew off. The block became welded tight but visibility was eliminated by the impact of the shell fragments. A second hit on the cupola knocked brackets loose from the turret ceiling. At the same time, a wave of heat and a cloud of acid smoke enveloped the crew. Two hits from 4.5 cm anti-tank shells and 15 hits from anti-tank rounds were counted on the cupola after the battle."

"The loader's hatch, somewhat stuck and therefore about half open, received several hits from anti-tank rifles which knocked some brackets off. Other rounds striking the hatch jammed the hinges so that it could be opened only with the aid of a wrecking bar after the battle."

"The enemy bathed the Tiger with machine gun fire on both days. The smoke dischargers mounted on the turret side were riddled, setting them off. This smoke filtering into the crew compartment became so thick and strong that for a short time the crew couldn't function."

"The closer the Tiger approached the collective farm, the greater the intensity of the enemy defensive fire. Each hit on the Tiger was accompanied by a sharp clang, a slight jolt, acid clouds of smoke, a shimmering yellow flash, and a detonation."

"The nerves of the crew were stretched thin. we paid no attention to hunger, thirst, or time. Even though the attack lasted over 6 hours, at the time the crew thought that only a short time has elapsed."

"After another 7.62 cm anti-tank struck the gun mantle, the brackets holding the gun snapped, the recoil cylinder began losing fluid, and the gun remained at full recoil. The shaking caused by additional hits damaged the radio, a gas tube, and the gear lever by the driver. The engine caught fire when the shield protecting the exhaust muffler was shot away, but the fire was rapidly extinguished."

"An explosive charge thrown on the top of the Tiger from the side was sensed as a dull explosion accompanied by heat and smoke enveloping the Tiger and the crew."

"We counted 227 hits from anti-tank rifle rounds, 14 hits from 5.7 cm and 4.5 cm anti-tank guns, and 11 hits from 7.62 cm guns. The right track and suspension were heavily damaged. Several road wheels and their suspension arms were perforated. The idler wheel had worked out of its mount . In spite of all this damage, the Tiger still managed to coved an additional 60 kilometers under its own power."

"The hits had caused the failure of several welded joints and caused the tank to start leaking. The tracks had received several hits, but these didn't especially hinder the Tiger's mobility."

"In conclusion, it can be said that the armor on the Tiger can withstand the most intense punishment that the enemy can deliver. The crew can head into combat secure in the knowledge that they are surrounded by sufficient armor to keep out the most determined anti-tank round."

Achttag
<< Dragon Hawks >>

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2001, 07:28:00 AM »
hell they never got hit with .50cals or hizookas (hispanos)....... :)

or them bastige sheep

usarmy them shrubs are actually them coastal barricades. They look like shrubs from the view slot goto to 3 pintle gun and they show up as barricades........... :)

strange indeed......

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2001, 09:45:00 AM »
..... in a related story the allied hordes test out there new landmines ingeniusly disguised as run-of-the-mill shrubs and bushes......  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2001, 10:04:00 AM »
LMAO at Soulyss's siggy... Dead Alive is one of the most disgusting and funny movies I've ever seen!

Sorry off topic.

usarmy, you'd think (hope) a helicopter pilot would be better at missing trees...    :rolleyes:

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Dux ]
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline usarmy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
Dux, I'd expect a tank to run over a tree more than my Blackhawk!     :D

Wotan, thanks for the 411, I'll try that next time as I was near a coastline when the "accident" occured. I still think they outta fix that. A scrub is not a barricade.

hazed, is sheeprock the same as sheetrock?
   ;)

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: usarmy ]

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: usarmy ]

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2001, 10:56:00 PM »
Well, it's better than having to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with... :)

<S>IC