Author Topic: Kill points should be modified by ENY  (Read 2659 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Kill points should be modified by ENY
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:19:04 AM »
got to say a no to this idea, a kill's a kill. ENY is already accounted for with perk points as an incentive to fly high ENY aircraft, and its figured into damage points too so it is reflected in rank.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 05:26:16 AM »
Kind of...

So we have these categories in our fighter score:
-Kills per Death
-Kills per Sortie
-Kills per Hour of Flight
-Kills Hit Percentage
-Kill Points

Only one of those (kill points) is advantageous to pilots of high ENY aircraft.  Three are advantageous to low ENY aircraft because you (in theory) can get more kills in them.  When the score is averaged (or however it is calculated), the low ENY aircraft have much more going for them.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 06:04:50 AM »
yes, so if you fly a high ENY aircraft with the same stats, you get better rank.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 07:38:30 AM »
I like this one, great idea.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »
ENY is already accounted for with perk points as an incentive to fly high ENY aircraft, and its figured into damage points too so it is reflected in rank.
yes, so if you fly a high ENY aircraft with the same stats, you get better rank.

RTHolmes, if you read the thread I posted in the OP, it's categorically denied that flying a high ENY aircraft gives you more kill points.  What's more, according to zazen, HT didn't like the idea 4 years ago, so it would be surprising to see that feature in the scoring system.

Let's be clear that kill points are already a function of damage points and kill score, so what you're telling me is that my wish is more or less already granted.

Everything I can interpret from the scoring explanation in the ancient help pages gives me no reason to believe that ENY improves rank.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:36:41 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 09:55:34 AM »
Your on to something for sure.....

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »
got to say a no to this idea, a kill's a kill. ENY is already accounted for with perk points as an incentive to fly high ENY aircraft, and its figured into damage points too so it is reflected in rank.

You are incorrect.  ENY is NOT figured into damage points.  Your kill points are not affected by ENY in any way and therefore, ENY has no effect on rank whatsoever.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
So far, the only people who haven't liked this idea did not understand how fighter scoring/ranking works.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 10:59:21 AM »
I agree with the idea stated by the OP because it would result in a greater variety of planes being flown in the LWMAs.

I have an additional suggestion to this end... every time someone gets their name posted for 2 or more kills, additionally list how many perks they earned on that flight.

I think a lot of people are interested in seeing their name and getting a "grats" from their friends (and who wouldn't be?), so if someone lands a high number of perks they'll get additional "grats".  Of course the way to get a high number of perks is to fly high eny planes, so that will give people a reason to get out of their LALAs, Spixteens, and N1K2s.

I think it would make a huge impact on the game for the better and would take very little work from HTC to implement.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
dead right - kill points arent modified by ENY, just perkies :)

I'm still not sure what problem this solves, i mean the more effective aircraft are, well, more effective so its easier to get more kills quicker with them. if you want to be a more effective fighter (higher rank), you fly a more effective aircraft. makes sense to me.

if it was a matter of just adjusting kill points I guess I wouldn't have a problem (never look at them anyway, not that bothered about rank) but I'd have a big problem if the Kills were modified (someone mentioned a "sliding scale" earlier.) like I said a kill's a kill :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »
My understanding about kill points is you get points for every round you put into the enemy and it does not mater if you get the kill or not.  I also think something like a 30mm round gives you more kill points than a .303 round – in other words, Kill Points is actually tracking the amount of damage you inflect on the enemy.  Lower ENY planes can typically cause more damage by having bigger guns or more ammo, and they have the survivability to burn through all their ammo before getting killed themselves.

The kill point category is there (IMO) to balance out the “luck factor.”  As an example, Pilot A gets lucky on his first sortie and gets in on a base-take vulch-fest and gets 8 kills before the base is captured and then quickly lands the kills.  He now has a good Kills/Death, Kills/Sortie, Kills/Hour, and Hit Percentage and decides to not fly in the Fighter Category again that tour.  Pilot A will not have many kill points which opens the door for Pilot B to rank higher if he can match or come close to Pilot A’s scores but over more sorties which earns him more kill points.

People like me that only have time for maybe 20 hours a month can not compete in the Kill Points category with players that put in 200 hours per month no matter what ENY plane we fly.  I don’t think putting at risk three categories – Kills/Death, Kills/Sortie, and Kills/Hour (higher ENY planes are usually slower ant take longer to get to and from the fight) – to improve the one Kill Points category is incentive enough to get better sticks into the higher ENY planes.

If Pilot A and Pilot B both had the exact same score but Pilot A did it in a Tempest and Pilot B did it in a P-40, I would like to see a scoring system that would favor Pilot B.  I don’t know what it would really take but it would be nice if Fighter Ranking was solely base on a single category that toke into account the planes relative ENY values, the relative rankings of the pilots at the time of the kill, and the perk multiplier to award points.  (Well maybe not perk multiplier but the relative number of players of the two countries involved in the fight at the time of the kill.)  If you shoot down a lower ENY plane flown by a higher ranked pilot while having a high perk multiplier, you would get a lot of points and the higher ranked pilot you killed would lose a lot of points.  Since a player is getting and losing points, the number of hours flown in a tour (or the number of fights) should not be a big factor.  But the scoring system would have to be setup in such a way as to prevent someone from quickly rising to #1 and then refuses to fight anymore.  There has to be a way to knock out a player from the #1 spot.  So we go full circle and end up back at using kill points to give the higher ranks incentive to stay in the fight.

So what do you know, the current system is perfect – or is it? :rolleyes:

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »
machnix, it sounds like you want something even stronger than my suggestion!  What I proposed was intended not to scare or upset people who fly low ENY planes because it will merely nudge kill points up or down, not totally change the scoring system. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 04:15:27 PM »

• If your ENY is higher than the enemy you killed, add the difference to your kill points.
  • If your ENY is lower than the enemy you killed, subtract the difference from your kill points.

Thoughts?

so are you saying that if you kill a P40b in a spit16 you actualy loose score? I'm not bothered by score one bit but even so this seems a little off.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:24 PM »
No mechanic, you get far more kill points for killing the P-40B than you would be subtracted by the ENY modifier.  Look at how many kill points you have / kills.

e.g. I have ~9000 kill points for 47 kills.  That means I average 191 kill points per kill.  If the 5 ENY spit16 kills the 40 ENY P-40B, then that would get 155 kill points instead of the ~190 he would get now.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 04:22:17 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 04:19:47 PM »
The easiest way to do this would be to apply the perk modifier to kill points (or even damage points for bombing).  It's already there and would serve the purpose.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.