Author Topic: Kill points should be modified by ENY  (Read 2666 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Kill points should be modified by ENY
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:30:56 PM »
Earlier there was a thread that suggested a new scoring category for fighter sorties, avg. perk points/sortie.  I don't think there's a need for a new category, rather, kill points should be modified by the ENY of the aircraft you fly and the ENY of the aircraft you shot down.

For starters, this thread clarifies a few things: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,246408.0.html

As things are now, a lot of the top ranked pilots have most of their kills in 5 ENY aircraft, or even perked aircraft, e.g. F4U-1C and Tempest.  With kill points modified by ENY, it would be more difficult to gain high rank in a low ENY aircraft.  Moreover, there would be incentive to shoot low ENY aircraft first, and less incentive to single out a high ENY aircraft from a furball.  Aircraft diversity would improve in the arena without punishing (too much) people who always fly 5 ENY aircraft.

An easy way to implement an ENY modifier on kill points would be this:

• If your ENY is higher than the enemy you killed, add the difference to your kill points.
  • If your ENY is lower than the enemy you killed, subtract the difference from your kill points.

Thoughts?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Kill points should be modified by ENY
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
good idea as long as its easy to implement.

Would hopefully show a pilots worth a little more.  The only other solution is to take into account how many enemy cons are within range at the time. 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:57:45 PM »
I do like the concept, but as you state it if a ENY 40 craft, shoots down an ENY 5 craft,  The eny 40 craft gets the equivalent of 35 kills?  Umm...no, I don't think so.

To modify this somewhat, how about this equation: your ENY / his ENY?  It would make the same situation previously, work out that you got 8 kills if you were the ENY 40 craft shooting down the ENY 5 craft.  If the situation was reversed and you shot down the ENY 40 craft from your ENY 5 craft it would score as 1/8th of a kill.  I think that works out a little more balanced than your original suggestion.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »
I thought thats the way it already works?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:09:41 PM »

No, that is for perk point calculation, not kills/sortie, K/D, etc.  Al-tho the NIL(Name In Lights), should state the exact # of kills rather than the "sliding scale" # of kills.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
I am not sure how to add to this arguement exept that I think if I shoot someone down while they are in a Nik2 and I am in a Hurricane I, I should get more than 3 perkpoints and a same-same score.  Likewise, if I am in the Nik2 and my target was the Hurricane I, I believe the rewards for doing so should be about nil.

I am speaking frmo both the perk points earned and the score earned as well.  I challenge anyone to find a top 20 pilot that earns the bulk of their score/kills in a 20+ ENY plane.  Save for the Bf109K-4, I dont think any do.  Heck, make it the top 100 players.  You simply wont find it.  If there are (and I have not looked), I'd be very surprised.  We simply do not see "So-n-so landed 6 kills in a Spit5/P40E/109G2/190A5/A6M2/etc very often at all.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »
I do like the concept, but as you state it if a ENY 40 craft, shoots down an ENY 5 craft,  The eny 40 craft gets the equivalent of 35 kills?  Umm...no, I don't think so.

To modify this somewhat, how about this equation: your ENY / his ENY?  It would make the same situation previously, work out that you got 8 kills if you were the ENY 40 craft shooting down the ENY 5 craft.  If the situation was reversed and you shot down the ENY 40 craft from your ENY 5 craft it would score as 1/8th of a kill.  I think that works out a little more balanced than your original suggestion.

Clearly you didn't read the thread I posted and haven't studied how fighter scoring and ranking works.  Great job hijacking the thread.

:furious
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »

No, at the moment you get more perks when you fly a high ENY aircraft and shoot down enemies, but it does not help your ranking/score at all.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:14:07 PM »
To modify this somewhat, how about this equation: your ENY / his ENY?  It would make the same situation previously, work out that you got 8x points if you were the ENY 40 craft shooting down the ENY 5 craft.  If the situation was reversed and you shot down the ENY 40 craft from your ENY 5 craft it would score as 1/8th of the points.  I think that works out a little more balanced than your original suggestion.

^^^Fixed.   Happy now?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 05:16:13 PM by Iron_Cross »

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 06:10:36 PM »
I suggested this years ago prior to the ENY limiter being implemented. My reasoning was that the ENY limiter primarily affects weaker players, forcing them to fly inferior planes or switch. Those weaker players don't have a whole lot of impact on gameplay. So, you're not getting much bang for your buck on either side of the balancing coin. However, if you make ENY affect kill points you motivate people who fly for effectiveness to switch or fly inferior planes, this would have a rather large bang for the buck in terms of the impact on balance and gameplay...

Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »
+1  :aok
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
I suggested this years ago prior to the ENY limiter being implemented. My reasoning was that the ENY limiter primarily affects weaker players, forcing them to fly inferior planes or switch. Those weaker players don't have a whole lot of impact on gameplay. So, you're not getting much bang for your buck on either side of the balancing coin. However, if you make ENY affect kill points you motivate people who fly for effectiveness to switch or fly inferior planes, this would have a rather large bang for the buck in terms of the impact on balance and gameplay...

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's another point to buttress my argument.  Thanks! :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 11:32:02 PM »
I hadn't thought of it that way, but it's another point to buttress my argument.  Thanks! :aok

Sadly, although I am too lazy to look for my original post, I believe HiTech specifically replied to it and shot it down saying something along the lines of not wanting scoring to be a component of the balancing system. Personally, I still think it's a very good idea after 3-4 years of experience with the ENY limiter in its current incarnation...The whole premise of my original idea was that you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar. But, we could supplement the current "vinegar" version and add the "sugar" and see how it works out.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:39:29 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 11:39:51 PM »
I think it's a good idea.  I like to fly the EW/MW planes occasionally and fly the 190A-8 a lot.  What you give up in K/D and K/S doing so could be offset by higher kill points.

The way it is now there's no incentive at all to fly high ENY planes if you want to improve rank.  In fact, you're incented against it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 04:57:33 AM »
While I'm not really too worried about score, I could see this making fights more interesting.  Might get less off those mobs of Spit XVI's since they won't get many points.  Sounds like a cool idea to me! :aok

One issue about using the kill points as an balancing system rather than the ENY, is that you'd still get huge missions of low ENY planes just to take bases.  I don't think just getting less kill points will deter the base taking missions at all.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D