Author Topic: Kill points should be modified by ENY  (Read 2658 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Kill points should be modified by ENY
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2008, 04:24:14 PM »
ah, i get you now.  :aok
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »
I don't like it.  It strikes me as a score nanny issue with the idea that so-n-so is getting their score with easy to fly planes, therefore we should take them down a peg.  But the same planeset is availible to all during the course of a tour, so it is a level playing field whether someone chooses to take advantage of it or not.

Availible time to play is not a level playing field for everyone, which is why accumulating "points" is only 1/5th of fighter rank, and is a great feature in that regard.

I view plane diversity as more of a window dressing issue rather than something at the core of good gameplay.

Just my personal take on it.

I have made a suggestion in the past with a modifier for "points vs enemy", but it was directed at discouraging hording vs enemy proxy modifier

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »
I was bored at work and found my formula I came up with early in 2004 for doing this. This was actually before the ENY limiter existed, so when I say ENY I mean the ENY of the plane itself. So, we could make it even better now by adding a multiplier for the country ENY factor to something like

Fighter Air points = Planedamage + Killscore * (Enemy value of plane you are in) * (Country ENY factor)

...Enjoy...

Currently the calculations for fighter points is...

Fighter Air Points = Planedamage + Killscore

(Plane Damage = Damage to PLanes * Death Multiplier
Killscore = Airkills*1 + Airassist*0.25)

Soooo, score in fighter is relative to the damage inflicted, kills/assists scored and whether you land,bail, ditch etc. giving no bias or preference to plane type in any way, shape or form. Therefore, the easy mode planes are easier to get more score with, generally speaking. The whole idea of this thread is to change the score formula to something like this....

Fighter Air points = Planedamage + Killscore * Enemy value of plane you are in

Or something along those lines, whereby the same enemy value each plane has that garners you more perk points for kills while flying the lower performace rides would also grant you a substantial bonus in fighter score making flying them worthwhile for a score conscious person.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:07:35 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »
I view plane diversity as more of a window dressing issue rather than something at the core of good gameplay.

I take it that you're being serious and not making a joke.  Would you regard "the core of good gameplay" as untarnished if no one chose to fly the higher ENY planes?  For instance, if everyone only flew 5 ENY aircraft and left everything else in the hangar?  This is what your position implies, but I hesitate to attribute this belief to you because I suspect that you have failed to follow your opinion to its logical conclusion.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »
I take it that you're being serious and not making a joke.  Would you regard "the core of good gameplay" as untarnished if no one chose to fly the higher ENY planes?  For instance, if everyone only flew 5 ENY aircraft and left everything else in the hangar?  This is what your position implies, but I hesitate to attribute this belief to you because I suspect that you have failed to follow your opinion to its logical conclusion.
It is not the case that everyone flies 5 ENY planes exclusively, so there is no "tarnish" to fix.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
So the core of good gameplay remains untarnished because some people choose to handicap themselves, but otherwise it would be tarnished: that is your position?  What I am proposing is a small reward to those who, by your own reasoning, protect the integrity of the game.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 07:33:43 PM »
So the core of good gameplay remains untarnished because some people choose to handicap themselves, but otherwise it would be tarnished: that is your position?  What I am proposing is a small reward to those who, by your own reasoning, protect the integrity of the game.
My position is I don't like score/envy/nannyism.  By definition you also want to punish those who fly low ENY planes as you pointed out in your introduction...
As things are now, a lot of the top ranked pilots have most of their kills in 5 ENY aircraft, or even perked aircraft, e.g. F4U-1C and Tempest.  With kill points modified by ENY, it would be more difficult to gain high rank in a low ENY aircraft.
You consider that a problem.  I do not.  That could be because I know for a fact that players can still outrank the 5 ENY scoretardlets without using low ENY aircraft.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »
I think what Anax is trying to promote is more people flying different aircraft to make more interesting fights. That's a goal nobody can argue against being a possitive step.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
Of course, to be given some kind of edge on your score for flying a higher ENY fighter plane, the ENY system would have to be slightly more logical than it is now.

F4U-1A ENY=     15

P-47N ENY=        5?

P-51D ENY=        8

109 G-14/K ENY=20?!

Yak 9U ENY=      20?!?

FW 190 A5 ENY= 25

Ki-84 ENY=         15

Ta-152H ENY=      5?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? WTF?!?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:06 AM »
My position is I don't like score/envy/nannyism.  By definition you also want to punish those who fly low ENY planes as you pointed out in your introduction...You consider that a problem.  I do not.  That could be because I know for a fact that players can still outrank the 5 ENY scoretardlets without using low ENY aircraft.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't use slanted language like "nannyism" to describe my position.  I also think it's going way over the top to say that I want to punish people who fly low ENY aircraft because what I have proposed is very benign compared to the drastic measures the "dweeb-ride" whiners are always crying for.  What I am proposing would not limit anyone's flight time in low ENY aircraft; it would not force them to fly something else; but it would slow down their score in one category out of 5 compared to those who fly the high ENY aircraft... That is hardly punishment, and hardly so-called "nanny-ism."  Like someone said above, if two pilots have the same k/d, k/s, and k/t, but one did it in a P-40 and the other in a F4U-1C, ranking should favor the former, otherwise ranking/score isn't doing its job.
I think what Anax is trying to promote is more people flying different aircraft to make more interesting fights. That's a goal nobody can argue against being a possitive step.
Yes, that too. :aok  But murdr has already said that he doesn't think that's important. :frown:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:19:01 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 12:33:19 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but being this interested in scoring in a game that erases them every month is incredibly silly.

I'd rather see something more productive being done, like watching paint dry or grass grow.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 12:35:04 AM »
 :lol  I am fascinated by statistics, I admit it.  As a child I spent hours each day pouring over baseball cards. :noid
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2008, 01:33:12 AM »
I'd appreciate it if you didn't use slanted language like "nannyism" to describe my position.
Seems like a resonable term when a scoring change is requested based on worrying how others get their score in relation to oneself.
I also think it's going way over the top to say that I want to punish people who fly low ENY aircraft
:huh
With kill points modified by ENY, it would be more difficult to gain high rank in a low ENY aircraft.
Aircraft diversity would improve in the arena without punishing (too much) people who always fly 5 ENY aircraft.
But murdr has already said that he doesn't think that's important. :frown:
I logged an hour and a half tonight in my P-38.  I didn't have any problems finding diversity according to the kills I logged.
Plane
P-51B
Fw 190A-8
La-5FN 
Ki-61 
Yak-9U
A6M5b
B5N2
Spitfire Mk XIV
Hurricane Mk IIC
Kills of

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 01:36:12 AM »
The scoring system is in place so you can compare pilots and see how you do in the scheme of things.  I think this is a great idea considering the higher ENY aircraft generally require much more skill and patience to fly, what's wrong with reflecting that in their score?
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2008, 01:38:48 AM »
Like someone said above, if two pilots have the same k/d, k/s, and k/t, but one did it in a P-40 and the other in a F4U-1C, ranking should favor the former, otherwise ranking/score isn't doing its job.

This isn't just a oversight on score, the current system has evolved in 7 years of doing scoring systems.
And it comes down to being the best fighter does not get you a hi rank.  Doing lots of game play does.

Everyone always wants the score to fit there flying style, and this is exactly what you are requesting midnight.

It's up to you to alter your style to fit the system.

Thats if you want your rank to rise.

HiTech