Author Topic: Kill points should be modified by ENY  (Read 2673 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: Kill points should be modified by ENY
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2008, 01:43:04 AM »
Hmm... I see, well I guess that generally confirms that score means even less to me now if it's really a factor of game time. :aok
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:11 AM »
Hmm... I see, well I guess that generally confirms that score means even less to me now if it's really a factor of game time. :aok
Quantity of game time is only a partial factor (accumulating points), quality of game time counts quite a bit also.  I looked at MW ranks from July.  I had 1 hour, yet there are dozens of people fighter ranked behind me that had 12 hours or more.

Side note:  Something interesting Anaxogoras.  You had 50 minutes and 6 kills in 2 sorties (both landed) in MW 102.  I had 62 minutes and 7 kills with 1 of 3 landed.  Here's the interesting part.  You had 529 kill points, and I had 1,584 (almost tripple) with only 1 more kill.  The difference?  Four of my kills were of heavy bombers to your 1 medium bomber kill.  Which put me in mind of this quote...

Aces High like basketball has a very simple goal. Inflict more damage on your opponent then he does on you by either bombing his buildings or shooting him down.

By modifying the kill points, it skews measuring damage done.  Being years later, maybe they're receptive to doing that, I don't know.  You did post an open "thoughts?" question.  Mine is I don't really care for the idea.  It's not an attack, just my "thoughts".

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2008, 07:00:11 AM »
Ok murdr, thank you! :salute

Did I really fly in midwar? :huh
 :noid
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
I think its a good idea... if you compare playing AH for score to sports... it would be like skateboarding, diving, or gymnastics (can you tell the X-Games and the Olympics just ended yet?) where difficulty of the trick, dive, or jump is part of the score.  And with the high ENY planes being more difficult than the low ENY.  Its still up to the gymnast to decide how hard of a routine to run and it would still be up to the pilot to decide which plane to fly, where the goal for both is to obtain the highest score possible.

Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
... and thats why I disagree - air combat isnt a points sport, its worth nothing unless one aircraft is downed. its the difference between amateur boxing and bareknuckle, one is usually determined by a point score, the other by a KO/submission. next you'll want to hand out points for nice-looking merges and aerobatics  :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »
next you'll want to hand out points for nice-looking merges and aerobatics  :rolleyes:

Nice idea  :aok

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Iron_Cross

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
... and thats why I disagree - air combat isnt a points sport, its worth nothing unless one aircraft is downed. its the difference between amateur boxing and bareknuckle, one is usually determined by a point score, the other by a KO/submission. next you'll want to hand out points for nice-looking merges and aerobatics  :rolleyes:

A.  This game, is a game, and it has a scoring system, so your analogy is moot.

B.  Taking your analogy, then the only people who should compete are the equivalent of heavyweights?  That sounds like a boring game to me.

What the OP is suggesting is to have Kill points weighted by the ENY of the planes.  So that all weight classes can compete, from the fly weight Hurricane Mk I,  to the heavyweight La-7.

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 05:14:56 PM »
Having read both sides of this discussion, I have to agree with Gavagai's, and disagree with Murdr's.

This is a game.  It has a scoring system.  These two facts won't change.  Given these two facts, the scoring system ought to "mean something" to those who choose to pay attention to it.

The concept of adjusting reward based on relative difficulty already exists in the game via the perk point mechanism, ie: if I kill a LA-7 in a 190A-5 I'll get 5 perks (given equal teams), if the LA-7 kills my A-5 he'll only get 0.2 perks.  Thus the principle of differential reward based on relative airplane merit is already established, and there's no basis for acting like Gavagai's suggestion is just some lame "whiner" move to radically alter the principles of the game.  On the contrary, it fits right in with the principles already established in the game.

Gavagai's suggestion would only nudge one of five factors used to establish rank, and the nudging would not be overwhelming.  It would be modest enough not to overly penalize those who choose to continue flying nothing but "heavyweights", while giving a modest nudge of score upward to those challenging themselves with less powerful aircraft and yet still succeeding.

It would result in a moderate rearrangement of scores, whereby good pilots in high-ENY fighters would see some improvement in their rank, and some of the low-ENY dweebtards would see their ranks go down a bit.  I think this is fair, and desirable.

ps:  I also like the idea of putting perkies into the "name in lights" announcement.  The incentive to get better perky scores in lights would further improve the aircraft balance.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
I posted the link but I guess I didn't make it clear.  Having suggested a points modifier in the past, I tend to rank the respective goals against each other.

Mine was basically that points be modified by the ratio of friendly:enemy planes in proxy range of you.  In a 4 on 1, the 4 stand to have a .25 modifier (1/4 points) while the 1 stands to have a x4 modifier.  I see whording/ganging as a major gameplay issue that has a huge imact on everyone.  If that was not the case, we would not have the ENY limiter, and split arenas.

I don't see plane variety as an issue that has as many far reaching implications on gameplay.  Nor do I desire a score weighted on ENY even though I fly a 20 ENY plane a majority of the time.  And it is already addressed in the game mechanics which is why OBJ and ENY values exist in the first place.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 01:18:54 AM »
The more I think about this issue the more I think AH2 could use an ENY update more so than a scoring update.

Some planes need to be lowered (F6F, 109k-4, P47D-40, and some others).  Some planes need to be upped (P40N, etc). 

Also, diversify the ENY scoring.  Most of them have a 5 pt spread.  Only one plane comes to mind that has an off-beat score (a P47 variant w/ 22ENY).  Adjust some of the uber planes (Nik2, Spit16, La7) even LOWER to 3, 2, or even 1.  Adjust some planes to the 13, 17, 24, 9, 33, etc.  I'll vouch for 3 to 4 times a year to have those ENY adjusted.  Monthly might be too much, dunno.

ya know... AH2 could be made a whole lot more simple if they did away with scoring and only went with "perks earned" each and every month for s scoring system. Some of the hot heads who think they're Ice Man or Maverick from "Top Gun" who fly around in an uber plane would get a face full of cold water when it came to score time and they realize they've been beat by some pilots/players who flew the P38, P47, 109G6, F4U-1A, 190, Yak, or other such aircraft that needs to actually be learned. 

Oh.. and I'll take this chance to make another plug for removing the "name in lights" from the game.     
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
Something should be done to incent people to fly lesser planes.  I don't think the ENY/Perk system does that. 

I have thousands of perks in each category and could care less about them.  Gaining more perks doesn't motivate me.  In fact, I believe that the only people it does motivate are the baby seals who don't have any.  And that puts them in an even worse position against the score watchers who fly nothing but perk and uber planes (and who also have so many perks banked they don't care).  I havent done so but go check for yourself what the top scoring guys are flying and getting their kills in.  How many are EW rides?

I think this idea is a good way to nudge the uber/perk/score crowd into some lesser planes.  I play for score on occasion (well, most of the time) and I'm reluctant to take out the EW or MW planes in the LWA's for fear of hurting my score even though I love to fly them.  It's only after going through a rough stretch that I'll start upping them as at that point it doesn't matter to me anymore.  This camp has been different as I set score aside and started the camp in the 109E-4 and spent last night in the F4F-4 and FM2; but not for the perks; for the fun and the challenge.  I wish that when I wanted to fly these planes I was rewarded with score not perks.  Now that would motivate me to fly them more often.

One last thought; if this did not work to motivate score watchers into lesser planes, it might at least reduce the 3-4 good fighter sorties then everything else in attack mode syndrome you see among most of the top scorers by forcing them to fly more sorties for points if they were going to remain in the uber/perk planes.

I really don't see a downside to this.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.