Author Topic: Oil, $91.15 per barrel,get it while its hot!  (Read 1085 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Oil, $91.15 per barrel,get it while its hot!
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
 I'm just to lazy, or tired, to go back and look,but i was thinking it would be thanksgiving before it got this cheap again! I wonder how low it will go now?
  http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080916/oil_prices.html
Flying since tour 71.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Oil, $91.15 per barrel,get it while its hot!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
Not that their opinion is worth any more than mine, but an economist writing for Time magazine wrote a fairly lengthy article on why oil would eventually stabilize around $100/bbl.  I think that's a bit of a high estimate because I think the dollar will rebound with the new President no matter who wins the election, but there are some pretty smart people thinking that oil will stabilize at the price equivalent of $100 in today's dollars.

A big part of the issue is that the world knows that once the US gets rolling in one direction, we can be both pigheaded and very effective.  So oil producing nations are terrified that if the US really makes progress towards alternative energy and reducing dependence on foreign oil, there could be a sudden and drastic decrease in oil prices (against the dollar), which could spell economic disaster for some countries.  OPEC has already cut production in response to perceived lower demand and actual lower prices, in an effort to keep the bottom from dropping out of the oil markets.  I expect them to continue to cut production at least as fast as the US decreases foreign oil demand through alternative energy, lower market demand (people driving less), and conservation efforts.  A slowing US economy also drops industrial energy demands, and any global warming effects that decrease winter heating costs will also directly affect oil demand.

Expect to see more moves from Russia on energy prices as well, with their allies getting cheaper oil and natural gas, and efforts to work with OPEC to keep energy prices high for everyone else.  Russia's energy exports are both a source of income and an tool to be used to influence world events, so they have no reason to not use it as an instrument of national power.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
Euro tanking as well, dollar stronger this week
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:09 PM »
Remember the fear mongers predicting, hell, they were hoping for $300 a barrel before the end of summer.

Where are those donuts now?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:51 PM »
And gas here is still $4 a gallon

Surely the public isnt getting screwed  :rolleyes:

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
Heard on the radio the other day that the Suadis didn't want to cut production and weren't.

I figure they are afraid of an alternative fuel source being found if gas prices stay too high.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »
Euro tanking as well, dollar stronger this week

Where did you get that from?  Dollar is still only worth .75 of a euro last time I checked...5 seconds ago.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:09:55 PM by mensa180 »
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »
Where did you get that from?  Dollar is still only worth .75 of a euro last time I checked...5 seconds ago.

Take a look at the price of Gold and other commodities in the last month...  Falling like a stone.  That often means a strengthening dollar as fewer investors hedge against the dollar by buying commodities futures.  Gold dropped 15ish percent just in the last month as oil dropped over 30%, which tells me that some of the drop in oil prices is due to a strengthening dollar.

Or not... I didn't sleep in a holiday inn express last night so there is a chance I could be wrong :)

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 08:08:23 AM »
I'm just to lazy, or tired, to go back and look,but i was thinking it would be thanksgiving before it got this cheap again! I wonder how low it will go now?
  http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080916/oil_prices.html

also notice our gas is still well over $3.00? remember me saying before that we'd never see it below $3 again?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 01:31:52 AM »
our fed screwed up so bad that our dollar will be even deeper in the crapper by weeks end.... look for oil to go higher, especially if the fed LOWERS the interest rate again!!!! thats what got us into this whole subprime mess anyway.  i dont think the fed should be able to bail out these financial institutions at our expense without at least a congressional vote.... time to break out the pitchforks and torches
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 06:19:46 AM »
our fed screwed up so bad that our dollar will be even deeper in the crapper by weeks end.... look for oil to go higher, especially if the fed LOWERS the interest rate again!!!! thats what got us into this whole subprime mess anyway.  i dont think the fed should be able to bail out these financial institutions at our expense without at least a congressional vote.... time to break out the pitchforks and torches
Fed announced Tuesday that rate was NOT going down (Not sure what point it would be anyhow...Funds rate is now..2%)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:25:05 AM »
Remember the fear mongers predicting, hell, they were hoping for $300 a barrel before the end of summer.

Where are those donuts now?

ALSO REMEMBER everyone in other related threads stating that once oil was below $100/barrel, that gas would also drop to the $2.50 range again? where are they?
 it hasn't, and like i kept saying in those threads it won't. ever.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
And gas here is still $4 a gallon

Surely the public isnt getting screwed  :rolleyes:

Yes our gas went up in price as the price of oil dropped. These oil companys are creative in the way they bend us
over. God I hate these oil companys.
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 09:54:07 AM »
ALSO REMEMBER everyone in other related threads stating that once oil was below $100/barrel, that gas would also drop to the $2.50 range again? where are they?
 it hasn't, and like i kept saying in those threads it won't. ever.
$2.50?  No I think closer to $3.00
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 09:55:20 AM »
Oil price isn't the problem right now. 25% of the refineries in the US still have no power thanks to the hurricane.