Author Topic: Mosquito  (Read 2655 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: Mosquito
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »
All Mk XVIs were 'cookie' capable.

And yes, the six 500lber is also the MK XVI.

I didnt look this up, but wasnt the B Mk16 just the pressurized cabin and bulged bombay version of the B Mk6?  Am I also correct in thinking that the B Mk6 could carry the six 500lb bombs (bombs were modified to fit in bay) but not the single 4k bomb?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »
I didnt look this up, but wasnt the B Mk16 just the pressurized cabin and bulged bombay version of the B Mk6?  Am I also correct in thinking that the B Mk6 could carry the six 500lb bombs (bombs were modified to fit in bay) but not the single 4k bomb?
No, the Mk VI is a fighter bomber.  The front half of the bomb bay is taken up by the four 20mm cannons so it was limited to four 500lb bombs.  The Mk VI was powered by low blown Merlin 21s, 23s or 25s.

The Mk XVIs were either PR aircraft or bombers, in both cases they were unarmed with glass noses.  They were pressurized and were powered by (off of memory) a Merlin 70 and Merlin 71 or Merlin 76 and Merlin 77, all high blown engines.  They are not handed engines despite the names, but rather one, IIRC, drove the blower for cabin pressure.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TimRas

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
Totally offtopic reply.

Furballs avatar is a famous photo taken by a famous Canadian photographer Yousuf Karsh.

"The story most frequently told of Yousuf Karsh was about the time he photographed Winston Churchill. It was in 1941, in Ottawa, following Churchill’s speech in the House of Commons. Prime Minister King arranged for a portrait session in the Speaker’s chamber. No one had told Churchill of the session, so after lighting up a cigar he growled, “Why was I not told of this?”
Karsh then asked Churchill to remove the cigar for the photographic portrait. When Churchill refused, Karsh, then 33, walked up to the great man, said, “Forgive me, sir,” and calmly snatched the cigar from Churchill’s lips. As Churchill glowered at the camera, Karsh snapped the picture. Karsh regards that portrait as among his three favourites, the other two "being portraits of George Bernard Shaw and Eleanor Roosevelt. "
http://www.cbc.ca/news/obit/karsh/

Have bought a book of Karsh' photos. :)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:00:51 PM by TimRas »

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
I prefer the mossie before it was altered.  To me it feels like it was given something that limits it's AoA; below ~200mph you can just pull the stick back into your chest without fear of stalling, unless you are hamfisted with the rudder.  It also acquired the need for excessive trimming at speeds greater than 240mph if you want to achieve anywhere near full elevator deflection.

I agree.  After the change I really struggled with the Mossie being less agile.  I did learn to adapt and can still pull off some nice moves in it, but only at much lower speeds than before and with much more control input.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
Totally offtopic reply.

Furballs avatar is a famous photo taken by a famous Canadian photographer Yousuf Karsh.

snip

Wow... total thread hijack Batman!
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 12:21:15 AM »
No, the Mk VI is a fighter bomber.  The front half of the bomb bay is taken up by the four 20mm cannons so it was limited to four 500lb bombs.  The Mk VI was powered by low blown Merlin 21s, 23s or 25s.

The Mk XVIs were either PR aircraft or bombers, in both cases they were unarmed with glass noses.  They were pressurized and were powered by (off of memory) a Merlin 70 and Merlin 71 or Merlin 76 and Merlin 77, all high blown engines.  They are not handed engines despite the names, but rather one, IIRC, drove the blower for cabin pressure.

My bad.  I was thinking of the B Mk9:  Notice "a few" were modified to take the cookie.  Thats where my memory was at.  ;)

From http://www.mossie.org/Mosquito_var.htm

B.IX Bomber. First high altitude unarmed bomber. Merlin 72 intercooled engines with two speed, two stage superchargers. Capacity for four 500lb bombs in the fuselage and two 500lb bombs on the wings or extra fuselage fuel tanks and 50 gallon jettisonable wing tanks. A few were converted to take one 4000lb bomb in the fuselage with two 50 gallon jettisonable wing tanks which were later in 1944 replaced by 100 gallon jettisonable wing tanks subject to a weight limitation of 25,200lb. A Pathfinder version was developed by the RAF. 

I could see either version of the Mossi be used with great glee.  Bring the B Mk9 or the B Mk16 and the Mossi fan club will be happy!

Oh.. and while your at thngs, HTC, give the FB Mk6 its due and remove those dampeners and increase the speed by 5-15 mph depending on the alt.  Multiple threads have pointed out the *real* flaws with the current Ah2 Mossi Mk6.  Please give it its due.

:salute
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
Very few B.Mk IXs were built, and even fewer were B.Mk IX specials.

We should get the B.Mk IV with Merlin 21s and the B.Mk XVI with Merlin 70/71s or Merlin 76/77s.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 10:09:31 AM »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
Very good links  :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 07:02:45 AM »
GV attacks?
Don't think so, but some things come to mind.
1: good against strat targets,
2: Based on RL, good as a bomb aimer for drop on command. Lets say you drop towns with a Mossie as the aimer and anything fast that carries bombs...p51's, F4u, P47,other Mossies  etc. This could be excercized with Bostons actually....hmmmm.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »
Our mosquito is more of a fighter than most of the other heavy jabo rides, you would be mental to take down a town with a mossy when you could be using them to vulch while the p51s shed bash. Three decent mossy pilots should be able to deack a medium field in one pass shooting the 20mm at up to 1100yrds range on the dive.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »
FHs down a problem? I use it as an excuse to visit the throne get a fresh beer make a sandwich and so on.  :D

:)

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »
Our mosquito is more of a fighter than most of the other heavy jabo rides, you would be mental to take down a town with a mossy when you could be using them to vulch while the p51s shed bash. Three decent mossy pilots should be able to deack a medium field in one pass shooting the 20mm at up to 1100yrds range on the dive.

Mine always gets hit and catches fire :D

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
catching fire is the mossy version of landing succesfully :)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21:47 PM »
great find Furball.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.