Author Topic: How can you get the joy out of.....  (Read 996 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
How can you get the joy out of.....
« on: September 25, 2008, 10:35:38 PM »
How can you actually have fun flying a 190? I've taken a few up, to see what it was like, and the only one I even found sorta challanging was a 190A8, and that was because they could catch me, which just ment I had to chop throttle and roll.... Is this really what 190 pilots live for? I can see no fun in this, and the score part of it is a waste of time. If I wanted to go BnZ, I'd take up a 109K4 and do twice as well because I can turn too. :rolleyes:

190 pilots, please, enlighten me on the joys of the 190? I know there are plenty (actually, a LOT) of good 190 pilots, ones who can turn that thing to the deck and beat ya, but if you're an average 190 pilot, what gives you the kick, I honestly dont know. Only feeling you get is cowardice by running, breaking up fights and HO'ing.

Okay, vicadin wearing off now. go ahead. :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Re: How can you get the joy out of.....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
Sing it with me 1plus44....

"Its all about the vertical"

"Roping" someone is the name of the game in 190's, that and the BnZ. 190's are somewhat hard to flat turn with, maybe except for the A-5 (which seems to flat turn better then all the others, its still not great though.)

I get pleasure out of fighting 190's because they are a challenging ride, and is really one of the few fighters in this game that was never designed to turn well.

Besides it just looks sexy   :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:59:21 PM by SuBWaYCH »
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
Sounds like someone got killed in a 190 1 too many times.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:09:41 PM »
The airplane in which you have the highest number of kills this tour is in fact the P-51D. The P-51s are the SECOND worst turning airplane series after the 190s.

Thus it follows logically that one of the two following possibilities is true. One is that you have learned the techniques to overcome better-turning planes, which is braggable. But, if this is so, then you already know the techniques by which 190 pilots can overcome XYZ  better-turning fighter given correct piloting, so why ask? In that case your question is rhetorical pot-stirring, which we don't need.

The other possibility is that you mostly OPHA in the P-51, in which case your post is hypocritical, as well as deliberately provocative.

If I wanted to go BnZ, I'd take up a 109K4 and do twice as well because I can turn too. :rolleyes:

Apparently this is false, because this tour your K/D in a 109-K4 is 4/6, while your K/D in a 190D9 is 10/5. Visibility, an easy to use gun package, and general nice handling as a gun platform can be more important than "on paper" performance advantages, don't ya find?  :devil

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »
Flying a 190 aggressively against opponents that know you're there and don't have their hands full with other cons is a lot of fun no matter how you choose to do it...  BnZ, TnB, a little mixture...  Whatever.  Under such circumstances, the margin for error is small, and when you can pull it off (or even almost pull it off), you're going to get a huge kick out of it.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 12:30:21 AM »
The P-51s are the SECOND worst turning airplane series after the 190s.

They turn well enough if you keep it at high speed, in fact, at high speed they can out turn a heck of a lot of stuff within AH.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Sing it with me 1plus44....

"Its all about the vertical"

"Roping" someone is the name of the game in 190's, that and the BnZ. 190's are somewhat hard to flat turn with, maybe except for the A-5 (which seems to flat turn better then all the others, its still not great though.)

I get pleasure out of fighting 190's because they are a challenging ride, and is really one of the few fighters in this game that was never designed to turn well.

Besides it just looks sexy   :)

Yep, 190 A5 is a good flat turn fighter.  I personally like the D8. 
190 are tough birds to fly.  Compared to spit, nik, la, yak, If you fly them all the time and think they are hard to fly, you haven't been in a 190.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 01:42:36 AM »
I understand you get to wear leather briefs when flying the uber german iron. I suppose this, by itself, attracts some.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:54:28 AM by Bubbajj »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 02:14:44 AM »
And how you can get joy out of flying spixteens, lala's and nikis is beyond me really.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 02:20:04 AM »
As a turn fighter, the 190 is a huge challenge and learning how to get any success with it takes time. If you're ham-fisted pilot, forget it, any 190 will b¡tch slap you into a snap stall and spoil your position. The best tip I can give you with any 190 is to be SMOOTH. They aren't like 109s, you need to grab the 109 by the hair and slap it around a bit to get the best out of it. You have to buy the 190 dinner first. Try the A5, it is easily the best as a turn fighter. I take the 4 x 20mm package too and I still find that it fights well. If you're used to the 109 there are 2 things you must remember... The 190 is a good climber but it is nothing like the 109. It won't do the same straight up, rocket climb that 109 will... and the 190, in my experience, won't slow down anything like the 109 will. Forcing an overshoot is not as easy in the 190 as you have to rely on your roll rate and ability to change direction quickly rather than dumping flaps and rudder. Don't be affraid to use the flaps in the 190 but they are best at the top of a climb rather than in a turn.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline mna78

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 07:17:05 AM »
I like to take the 190-A5 up ocassionally as I like the all White skin, looks damn sweet and I'm sure people just think that you're a could or seagul  :aok
Inflight name history:
mna78 > Mark > DMark > MarkV > [2 year break]Mark

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 07:44:49 AM »
Sounds like someone got killed in a 190 1 too many times.

no, not really, I usually get killed by Spit 16s. :)

Just asking what's the joy in breaking up someones good TnB fight? Whats the point of suprising someone? What, a good score?
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 07:53:41 AM »

Just asking what's the joy in breaking up someones good TnB fight? Whats the point of suprising someone? What, a good score?

The suprise is never the attackers fault... the victim just had bad SA or has fallen asleep. Oh, and who said the TnB fight was a good one anyway?

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »
They turn well enough if you keep it at high speed, in fact, at high speed they can out turn a heck of a lot of stuff within AH.

Everything can turn at a high enough speed, unless it runs into issues with control effectiveness. If both planes are going fast, you are both limited by G-tolerance. But everyone in AH is up against the same blackout, so really its neutral, except for one possible advantage. That is, with its flaps and high wing-loading, the P-51 can decelerate from say 350 mph IAS to 270 mph IAS quicker than, for example, a Spitfire.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 08:29:23 AM »
I can't believe you all responded directly to this troll. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!