Author Topic: Dow Jones plummets  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dow Jones plummets
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Our grand parents were all about getting OUT of a depression. I haven't heard of anyone who enjoyed that time. I already did what they did, I worked, saved a little and was able to retire. Going back to work isn't something I am physically up to but it may be the case that I'll have to try, if there is work to be had. This isn't a case of watching some big wigs taking a beating, they already have their savings locked up. This is about watching the economy, jobs, taxes and everything else spiral down out of control. We are all under the bucket that's tipping over and we will all get splashed. Problem is, many won't have any way to get cleaned up again because it's more fun to cheer the tipping of the bucket instead of stopping it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 05:06:18 PM »
Just another case of our masters showing us where we belong.  How dare we oppose a bail-out?  They'll show us.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
Our grand parents were all about getting OUT of a depression. I haven't heard of anyone who enjoyed that time. I already did what they did, I worked, saved a little and was able to retire. Going back to work isn't something I am physically up to but it may be the case that I'll have to try, if there is work to be had. This isn't a case of watching some big wigs taking a beating, they already have their savings locked up. This is about watching the economy, jobs, taxes and everything else spiral down out of control. We are all under the bucket that's tipping over and we will all get splashed. Problem is, many won't have any way to get cleaned up again because it's more fun to cheer the tipping of the bucket instead of stopping it.

It's not that I'm cheering the scum taking their beating, it's that I refuse to just open the collective wallet and say "take what you want", and not solve the problems that got us here in the first place. We're already in debt in a massive way, we cannot borrow our way out, and that is what they intend.

I have no desire to see you forced to come out of retirement. The thing is, if they just voted to pony up the $700 billion, and didn't do something about what got us here, I'm convinced your prospects would be even worse.

Yes, a short term credit crisis will hurt the economy and be very painful. But allowing THIS Congress to pass the "bail out", and then recess, removes all the incentive for the NEXT Congress to solve the problem. The crisis, AND the election, will have passed. The public will be calm, due to their extremely short attention span and memory, and the NEXT Congress will just let it slide, doing little, if anything. Then the next crisis will come sooner, and be worse. And none of the $700 billion will have been paid back. It'll just be gone, another huge debt left for someone else to pay.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 05:20:19 PM »
We are still kind of spoiled in our standard of living.

The Dow down in the 5,000's and PIMCO breaking the buck will get some attention.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 05:20:28 PM »
the depression of the 30's did not hurt the rich, it just slowed up their accumulation of wealth.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 05:22:22 PM »
It fell because its inflated. The stock market has been like a fat spoiled child. Every time it began to fall, it was artificially propped up by cutting interest rates. Now the fat child wants $700 Billion dollars and is having a hissy fit because it didn't get it today. Its a sickly, bloated little imp. Its time to put it on a diet so it can get healthy.

Say no to hysterical bailouts.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
Those of you living paycheck to paycheck....start buying large bags of non-perishable foods now at Costco or Sam's so you can still eat.

Or, people can grow their own food, there's a concept. Never see apple, pear or peach trees anymore. Everyone cuts them down cause the birds eat them and toejam on the bmw
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »
Or, people can grow their own food, there's a concept. Never see apple, pear or peach trees anymore. Everyone cuts them down cause the birds eat them and poop on the bmw

That, and all of the new McMansion Tract houses don't have hardly any land left on their lots' that's not under the house. Like many people today have much of a green thumb anyway...

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »
Maybe it will encourage us to enforce our immigration policy so the jobs that are available go to Americans.  Hopefully the government will be forced to realize that the confiscatory tax rates must go for people to invest in American businesses and manufacturing.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:28:20 PM by Mr No Name »
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
Yea, like thats America's problem - too many skinny Americans :rolleyes:

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 05:27:44 PM »
the depression of the 30's did not hurt the rich, it just slowed up their accumulation of wealth.

My Great-Grandfather was actually nearly broke before the depression and became quite wealthy during the depression.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
It fell because its inflated. The stock market has been like a fat spoiled child. Every time it began to fall, it was artificially propped up by cutting interest rates. Now the fat child wants $700 Billion dollars and is having a hissy fit because it didn't get it today. Its a sickly, bloated little imp. Its time to put it on a diet so it can get healthy.

QFT

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »

Absolute truth!
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 05:54:02 PM »
My Great-Grandfather was actually nearly broke before the depression and became quite wealthy during the depression.

How How?? Enquiring minds want to know?
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!