Author Topic: Perk Il-2 37mm cannons  (Read 4427 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Re: Perk Il-2 37mm cannons
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
Anything that prevents a solo GV from going and porking an airfield all one his lonesome is a good thing in my book.  You want protection from the IL-2, bring a WW, or some fighter cover.

I'm with this

a few cannon birds in the air and the IL2 has no chance plus the wirbles on the ground will complete the package.

I really don't like to take part in the base capture game and it gets on my nerves when looking for a good gv battle to have to face these IL's when in gv's. The up side though is when there is someone trying to pork base single-handedly they are a great and fair tool to use.

I say WTG HT for putting this in game definitely evens out the air vs gv game when wirbles are factored in.  :aok
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 09:35:08 AM »
Anything that prevents a solo GV from going and porking an airfield all one his lonesome is a good thing in my book.  You want protection from the IL-2, bring a WW, or some fighter cover.

Another GV would work fairly well in that respect.  Coupled with diligent observation of the map, it's not too difficult to thwart the lone, porking GV'er.  It's only after he/she has dropped a VH an/or manned guns that it becomes harder to stop.  

Just get to defense quicker.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »
Well...at least weve gotten a break from the "perk the wirbel" threads.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »

Well said.

If the 37s had a "small" perk on em, they would still be upped just as much as they are now.

But would guys feel better knowing they died to a perked plane or unperked plane?

They would still be dead.

How would perking it help?

I don't see a problem here.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 09:58:32 AM »
As if it's not easy enough to kill tanks by dropping a bomb on them... :rolleyes:

Perking would help because you wouldn't see an endless wave of suicidal Il-2s griefing gv fights.  Right now, they don't care if they die turreting one tank/wirbel.  They just up again and again to grief gv fights, die, rinse and repeat.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:00:48 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »
As if it's not easy enough to kill tanks by dropping a bomb on them... :rolleyes:

Perking would help because you wouldn't see an endless wave of suicidal Il-2s griefing gv fights.  Right now, they don't care if they die turreting one tank/wirbel.  They just up again and again to grief gv fights, die, rinse and repeat.

Kinda like all the nitwits upping Lancs and doing the stuka thing right? At least the IL2 was designed as a ground attack aircraft.

And if I remember right tactical air power gave a lot of grief to GVs during the war itself so why would such grief surprise in what is a flight combat sim anyways? I got tracked in a T34/85 last night by a Niki who expended all his HOing 20 mm ammo on me. Hows that for realism?

Leave the IL2 alone. Its meant to hunt tanks and can be defended easily enough against if you bring a few wirbels/Osties.

Want to fix something that needs fixing? Then prevent heavie bombers from being Jabos, or, just get rid of CVs altogether.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 10:19:12 AM »
Or give us the Stuka G............

It worked for Rudel.

Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »

Eh.. as it stands, a couple ponies do a pre-strike and take down ord.. then the GVs roll in.

At least now, more ponies would be necessary to take down the BH in addition to ord to be able to safely get the GVs in.

Sounds like the 37s are a good equalizer.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
Eh.. as it stands, a couple ponies do a pre-strike and take down ord.. then the GVs roll in.

At least now, more ponies would be necessary to take down the BH in addition to ord to be able to safely get the GVs in.

Sounds like the 37s are a good equalizer.

This isn't about rolling bases.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »

That's a completely different issue.  If you want to discuss existing game mechanics that players can take advantage of to grief, you'd have a 12-page thread.

If we stick to the "perk the IL-2 because the 37mm guns are too effective...", it really boils down to the fact that GV's are now extremely vulnerable to an aircraft merely because of its guns.  And again, I'll state that the best remedy to an IL-2 is a WW.  Unfortunately, those players that have the desire can't shell the base from 3-4,000 meters and have the ability to shoot down planes, all wrapped into one single "Solopwnmobile".

Conversely, the IL-2 is not a "Solopwnmobile" either, as its extremely vulnerable to enemy fighters.  This is exactly the same type of thread that we had just after the B-25H was delivered, and everyone was complaining about the effectiveness of the 75mm gun.

And, just like those sentiments of frustration, this too shall pass...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 11:00:00 AM »
This isn't about rolling bases.

And you'd distinguish between the applications how?

Perk one but not the other?

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »
I think that when you get shot down and bail there should be a perk option for the pilot to have satchel charges and other such explosives to wreak havoc with. Otherwise what's the real point of being able to bail, to hold off the first few Goon Troopers in a map room(Yawn).

Also, we should have some Artillery pieces. It would be a team effort though. Have one guy at the Howitzer and the other one scout ahead in a jeep and call the adjustments back to his buddy.

Let's go crazy people...we can even perk certain skins. That way you can identify each other by skill levels from opposing countries.

It really boggles the mind how far we could go with this.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:51 AM »
I LOVE THE NEW IL2! OMG! I can kill GVs w/ a plane now !
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »

Exactly!  :aok
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »
Just like when the Wirbel was introduced, there were calls for perking it and so it goes with the new IL gun package.  I do not feel that the IL-2 needs to be perked(nor the Wirbel).  The addition of the Wirbel and now the updated IL-2 have changed the face of gameplay for the better.  You have to attack and defend now with the complete package so to speak.  The IL-2 forces GV's/Aircraft to work in composite groups (aircraft, tanks, flaks, and supply/troop runners working in concert) in order to accomplish a successful attack or defense of an base.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!