Author Topic: Perk Il-2 37mm cannons  (Read 4434 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Perk Il-2 37mm cannons
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:58 PM »
GV attacks when the opposition had true air superiority already failed in the MA. With an airplane that the average player can easily kill GVs with just by shooting, it doesn't take domination of the skies to fail GV attacks, it takes one Il2 remaining un-kilt for a couple of minutes.

Then you should make sure that your GVs have the proper protection to deal with the threat.  Simple solution, amazed you and others having a very tough time to grasp it.  I guess it's easier to cry "PERK IT!".

How does it NOT make dive-bombing GVs near-obsolete? It is much, much easier to kill a tank with an Il2's 37MMs than by dive-bombing, upping a HurrIID, or upping a tank, it is as simple as that.

Just because you won't dive bomb anymore doesn't mean others won't.

I'm not even touching that "unbalance the game" thing, since I'm not sure that phrase has any meaning.

Phrase has meaning, you just tend to ignore it because you can't provide any proof the IL2 with the 37mm cannon will unbalance the game play in the arena.  Like I asked before, where is the proof? 

I think people like having the new Il2 guns because it fixes the problem of having your ords porked and then having no way to fight incoming GVs with airplanes. I'd rather have un-porkable ords as a solution to that problem, honestly.

Who cares why they like it, as long as they have fun in it but that's an entirely different argument.

Demonstrate to me the way by which an individual in a tank can counter the threat of of an individual in an Il2 w/37MMs? The tiny chance of main-gunning the Il2 if it gets sloppy? Hide until the Il2 goes away?

If you're dumb enough to spawn in an area that has enemy planes flying around and controlling the air space, then do what the tank drivers in real life did, hide in the trees or under some sort of cover.  If you can't find any then start counting down from 100 because probably by the time you get to 90, you're going to be dead. 

Honestly, some in here whining to perk the 37mm cannons are nothing more than overly dramatic drama queens.  The 37mm cannons on the IL2 is not the end of GVs in AH, just use some brains, adapt and *GASP* use different tactics.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
Wait a second, what "skill" helps a Panzer driver counter the threat of an Il-2?  Calling wirbels and fighters for help?  I'm not ready to include the diplomatic skill of bringing lots of friends to a fight under the same category as skill in technique and tactical know-how.  I'll let you clarify this statement before I draw any more conclusions.

Skill set = tools.  I'm sorry, I should have used layman terminology and phrased it in such a way that would have made it easier for you to understand.

Draw any conclusion you want, it still will not change the fact that you nor anyone else has been able to show with any sort of evidence that the 37mm cannons on the IL2 cause any sort of unbalance to the game play.

It's best to take this time to pick up your ball and go home.

ack-ack

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »
Wow, crying perk over an IL2 that isn't even good? If you know someone whose good in a Wirbel, have them be one instead of a Pnzr. Always keep them less than 400 away from you, and you will probably be okay.  :noid
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2008, 12:21:57 AM »
How does it NOT make dive-bombing GVs near-obsolete? It is much, much easier to kill a tank with an Il2's 37MMs than by dive-bombing, upping a HurrIID, or upping a tank, it is as simple as that.

It's even easier to grab an un-perked Lancaster and do a salvo 14, delay .05 with 1000 lb bombs.  That hasn't made dive-bombing GV's obsolete, and neither will this.

"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2008, 12:55:03 AM »
deleted- I must remain polite.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:00:54 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:28 AM »
 :rofl  We've given plenty of reasons and evidence for perking the 37mm cannons, you simply choose to reject them all.  Tell us ack-ack, what would be "unbalancing game play" for a ground attack aircraft to you?

Btw, it's interesting to see you going on and on about whiners and people who lack skill when you spend very little time in GV's yourself.  Frankly, I'd be more willing to listen to someone who spends time in GV's if they said the 37mm cannons weren't worth perking.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:02:50 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 01:08:34 AM »
I'm going to try again, this time I will be as polite as I can.

A tank caught out in the open in broad day light, with a dedicated tank buster like the Il2 over them, SHOULD be dead meat. If you don't have CAP, or at the very least flak support, you're going to go down like Paris Hilton with the lights off and rightly so.

As someone said, any idiot an also take Lancasters and drop 1k lb bombs from a formation and do the same thing to a tank.

What is the new tag line HTC put into this current version? Yes, "Replace one worry with another".
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2008, 01:14:18 AM »
Delirium, tanks were already dead meat without some kind of protection before the new Il-2.  Now they are dead meat much more quickly and with less effort. :P  You spend very little time in gv's, so forgive me if I suggest that you spend more time tanking before you form an opinion here.

edit:
I should hedge a little and say: you've spent 1 hour in gv's this tour with 1 kill.  I don't know much about what you've done in the past.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:18:30 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2008, 01:21:17 AM »
Ok, next time you go tanking let me know where you are. I'll use the bazooka tubes on my P38J so you can ask for that to be perked too.  :aok

I'll happy replace one worry with another.

Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 01:36:07 AM »

If you're dumb enough to spawn in an area that has enemy planes flying around and controlling the air space, then do what the tank drivers in real life did, hide in the trees or under some sort of cover.  If you can't find any then start counting down from 100 because probably by the time you get to 90, you're going to be dead. 

Honestly, some in here whining to perk the 37mm cannons are nothing more than overly dramatic drama queens.  The 37mm cannons on the IL2 is not the end of GVs in AH, just use some brains, adapt and *GASP* use different tactics.

ack-ack

Good point.... But explain to me how you hide from enemy planes?  They can see a GVs icon from 1.5k away, so all they have to do is make a couple of low passes and the GVs are seen.  Hiding in a barn, in trees, behind a hill doesn't work.

I do believe that the IL2 is a bit of an overkill with the new guns.  I'm not a WW2 historian, and I may be corrected, but I do not think that they were able to take out a tank in WW2 as easy as they can in the game.  If they could it seems to reason that the US and British would have used the heck out of them on D-Day and thereafter.

I don't complain about the new guns, I just have to figure a way to work around them, but it should would be nice to be able to somewhat hide from aircraft as they appartently did in WW2.  I would like the see the icon distance shorten to less than .5k.

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

Fred

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:40:24 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2008, 03:24:57 AM »
:rofl  We've given plenty of reasons and evidence for perking the 37mm cannons, you simply choose to reject them all.  Tell us ack-ack, what would be "unbalancing game play" for a ground attack aircraft to you?

A perfect example of how a plane would unbalance the game play was the Hispano armed Corsair back in the early days and an attack plane would have to unbalance the game play as the Corsair did.

Btw, it's interesting to see you going on and on about whiners and people who lack skill when you spend very little time in GV's yourself.  Frankly, I'd be more willing to listen to someone who spends time in GV's if they said the 37mm cannons weren't worth perking.

I've been playing this game far longer than you have and if you were to go back from when I started around Tour 6 and total my GV hours from then until now, I'm willing to bet it will exceed your total hours in a GV. 

ack-ack

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2008, 04:37:14 AM »
Main gun people, main gun. FTW.
Retired

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2008, 05:20:26 AM »

Demonstrate to me the way by which an individual in a tank can counter the threat of of an individual in an Il2 w/37MMs? The tiny chance of main-gunning the Il2 if it gets sloppy? Hide until the Il2 goes away?

Demonstrate to me the way by which an individual in a C-47 can counter the threat of of an individual in anything? There's no chance of main-gunning the anything if it gets sloppy? Hide until the anything goes away?

There you go..

Perk everything but the C-47!!!

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2008, 05:57:29 AM »
Well, while i agree that perking the 37mm IL2 may too much, but it for sure deserves a lower ENY rating.
Right now of course it shares its value of 25 with the 23 mm version, but it is without a doubt dramatically more effective.
So instead of perking it, I think a ENY of 10-15 would be more reasonable. 

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2008, 07:49:04 AM »
as a GVer I've found the IL2 isn't uber. the 37 fires slowly, slowly so a little jinking can cause a miss, as opposed to firing a stream of shells to follow the tanks movements.

i've changed my tactics some coz my worry really isn't getting killed by the 37mm, it's getting tracked. i tend to try to get into a town in a hurry and get in a corner where its difficult to get a easy shot on me.

i still find an A20 to still be my primary worry, because 37mm requires a direct hit, but a bomb can kill a tank with a near miss.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...