Author Topic: PT Boats, Why?  (Read 136 times)

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
PT Boats, Why?
« on: February 09, 2001, 05:51:00 AM »
Ya can't get close enough to any thing to be effective. Till they overmodel the defensive guns like the buffs, or increse the hardness of em, ya won't find me in one anymore.

Why run for 30 minutes chasing the fleet only to be easily taken out by the first enemy fighter that runs across you?

Lol, mad as hell, and not gonna take it anymore!

Weave

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2001, 06:00:00 AM »
PT boats are nice but they are now in wrong environment. Small PT boats were mostly used close to land and in darkness. Since we don't have darkness in MA PT boats are too vulnerable. And all targets that are available are heavily armed CV's, CC's and DD's which is not too historically either, I think most of the PT boats victims were lightly or non armed merchants.

If we get nights back or unnarmed merchats, PT boats will be more useful.

------------------
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

TheWobble

PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2001, 06:04:00 AM »
first off, buffs are easy meat unless you are either
A: an idiot
B: try to attack from behind (idiot)

there is nothing "porked" about their guns, your skill is undermodelled.

second, if you are "chasing" the fleet from behind your retarded, unless you can head twords the fleet from at least its general direction of travel, you are wasting your time, and your torps will never hit the fleet anyway.

Any vehicle in this game would suck if you dont use it properly,  you dont see many spitfires rolling around on the ground chasing panzeners do ya?

Use it properly and it serves a purpose and its fun.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
About PT boat use, read my thread about low intensity conflict. It is a idea to brin more use to all units in game.

In PT boats case there would be fleets that consist DD's and merhants which would be ideal targets for PT boats. Of course night would be a great help to prevents planes to kill those ships before your PT boat can get to them  

------------------

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Roflmao @ Wobble

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Wobble is correct.  You just have to know how to use it.  For me, I've found fleet defense to be the best usage.  If my CV is under HEAVY attack there are lots of targets of opportunity and you have the benefit of your fleet ack for added protection.  Most TBMs and JU88 launching torpedos come in very low and slow, don't jink much, get fairly close to the fleet and are easy targets.  I don't drive PTs very often, but this is one scenario that I'll take advantage of when I'm looking for a change of pace from air-to-air stuff :-)    

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2001, 02:12:00 PM »

Originally posted by TheWobble:
first off, buffs are easy meat unless you are either
A: an idiot
B: try to attack from behind (idiot)

Hey, I resemble that remark  

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
PT Boats, Why?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Thank you for your replys Jochen and SpitLead, you both have been very helpful. I appreciate your input.

I will try the PT as a CG defense, (being under the ack umbrella can't hurt either) and let you know the results.

Weave