Author Topic: Obama tramples the First Amendment  (Read 1018 times)

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Re: Obama tramples the First Amendment
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 02:55:25 PM »
Obama's campaign is now threatening to sue media outlets who run negative ads about him:
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4192

Unreal... :mad:

Is the NRA not a 501 tax-exempt organization? If they are it's against the law to support or denounce a political candidate. Running adds about Obama no matter in support or against would be breaking federal law and violating their tax exempt status. I know the http://www.nrafoundation.org is a 501 group, but I'm not sure how or if it's seprated from the other parts of the NRA.
"strafing"

Offline Dos Equis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »
I guess we're seeing the beginnings of Chairman Obama's planned Stasi-like "C.N.S.F." force in action.

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

Well said, from the Republican side that brought you warrantless wiretapping, and holding U.S. citizens without charge for indefinite periods of time.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
dos equality.. since you probly know very little about firearms and ammo.. I will tell you that the letter you sited was false in that everything the NRA was saying about osamabinbiden was exactly correct... the best they could come up with was one of "flimsy evidence"

What they meant was that osamabinbiden had not hid his position on the subject quite well enough.

The major claims of the NRA about his positions on the second amendment were not even contested or talked about... that he would do away with all concealed carry..  all semi auto firearms.. all handguns.  That he stated that he believed the second was a "collective right" (no right at all) that he voted against the protection of firearms manufacturers against frivolous lawsuits.. that he felt the DC ban was lawful and refused (one of only a few) the amicus brief sent to the court.

The guy is twisting in the wind.. he doesn't want 80 million gun owners to know how much he is the enemy.

Why is he so ashamed... or deceptive about his position?  cause he knows that most don't agree with him or the gun grabbers who finance him so he wants there to be no discussion on it.

lazs

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
Lazs because he is a lying marxist,
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 04:18:55 PM »
I read the cease and desist letter from Obama's lawyers. It's here:

http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/ObamaLetterNRAAd.pdf

A cease and desist letter is not an infringement on the first amendment, wingnuts.

That letter is full of crap and nothing more than a scare tactic.  If I was the station manager, I'd air those letters and show the truth about Obama and his scare police.  Statements like "flimsy evidence" coming from the Washington Post are as laughable as they are hypocritical.

The quote from page two, "Senator Obama made clear that he only opposed firearms that were irrelevant for hunting unless the deer were wearing "bullet-proof vests"", scares me more than anything that the NRA put forth.  It tells me flat out that Obama feels he has a right to restrict my right to bear arms as he sees fit.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nothing in the 2nd says I can only have guns for hunting. 
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 04:24:44 PM »
we be the change we was waiting fo.

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 06:11:02 PM »
Is the NRA not a 501 tax-exempt organization? If they are it's against the law to support or denounce a political candidate. Running adds about Obama no matter in support or against would be breaking federal law and violating their tax exempt status. I know the http://www.nrafoundation.org is a 501 group, but I'm not sure how or if it's seprated from the other parts of the NRA.

The NRA is a 501(c)(4) organization and not a 501(c)(3) organization.

(3) is tax deductible an yes, they cannot get involved in political campaigning.  (4) is not tax deductible and CAN get involved in political campaigning.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:21:34 PM by Slamfire »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »
:rofl  :rofl  :rofl

Well said, from the Republican side that brought you warrantless wiretapping, and holding U.S. citizens without charge for indefinite periods of time.

I'm not a Republican.  They're almost as bad as Democrats.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 09:04:39 PM »
Dos whatever....I thought we were rid of you for a couple weeks..... :P
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:10 PM »
The NRA is a 501(c)(4) organization and not a 501(c)(3) organization.

(3) is tax deductible an yes, they cannot get involved in political campaigning.  (4) is not tax deductible and CAN get involved in political campaigning.

ahh ok, interesting.. I thought they all had to stay away from political campaigns of they were tax exempt. Guess yea learn something new everyday, thanks for the clarification.
"strafing"

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »
I'm confused, even if Obama gets elected, he can't take our guns all by his lonesome...Wouldn't Congress have to pass it?  Wouldn't there be a public out cry?  I like guns just like anyone else, I own some, but I don't see one guy taking away a right...just how I don't see one guy abolishing abortion.  And unless a judge dies or commits a serious crime I don't see him appointing any new ones...

To me, abortion and gun control just seem like good ways for each side to use the other like tools, when in the end nothing will change. 

Of course there is always the fact you would be against someone who wants to take your guns away just because you have a problem with that mentality and lack of principle (like me), but that's another discussion entirely.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 09:52:45 PM »
ahh ok, interesting.. I thought they all had to stay away from political campaigns of they were tax exempt. Guess yea learn something new everyday, thanks for the clarification.

One thing to keep in mind about the NRA - they're neither Right or Left wing, Republican or Democrat.  They VERY RARELY endorse anyone for president (they DO NOT endorse McCain for instance)... They're simply a bi-partisan Pro-Second Amendment group.  They're party blind and support politicians who are pro 2nd amendment, and likewise call out those who are anti-second amendment.

They APPEAR on the surface to be pro-Republican but that's only because Republicans generally are pro-2nd and Democrats, typically, anti-2nd.

Example - Bush Sr. and the NRA got majorly into it after the NRA called Bush Sr Administration's ATF "Jack Booted Thugs".

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 10:20:50 PM »
I'm confused, even if Obama gets elected, he can't take our guns all by his lonesome...Wouldn't Congress have to pass it?  Wouldn't there be a public out cry?  I like guns just like anyone else, I own some, but I don't see one guy taking away a right...just how I don't see one guy abolishing abortion.  And unless a judge dies or commits a serious crime I don't see him appointing any new ones...

To me, abortion and gun control just seem like good ways for each side to use the other like tools, when in the end nothing will change. 

Of course there is always the fact you would be against someone who wants to take your guns away just because you have a problem with that mentality and lack of principle (like me), but that's another discussion entirely.

The president appoints supreme court justices.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:13 PM »

A cease and desist letter is not an infringement on the first amendment, wingnuts.

typically the left testicle hangs lower than the right testicle.  Think on that comjob.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2008, 12:07:33 AM »
I'm confused, even if Obama gets elected, he can't take our guns all by his lonesome...Wouldn't Congress have to pass it? 
whoever the next pres is will be appointing at least two supreme court justices.......those supreme court justices are the folks who get to decide what laws you WILL obey.

I have always that when the day comes that the supreme court rules against private firearms ownership every law enforcement officer in the country will develop a bright red target on their forehead.  Heres to change we can believe in  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:10:39 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns