Author Topic: Why are GV's Invisable (until you're below 1k)  (Read 1842 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Why are GV's Invisable (until you're below 1k)
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 04:36:19 PM »
First the complaints about the range being too far, now too short. Sigh, HTC can't make anyone happy.

Well, from a real-world standpoint, I can't understand why you'd be able to identify that dot anywhere from 3-6 thousand yards away as "109/Yak/Spit/" etc, but would need to be 1500 yards or closer to identify that dot in the field as "Tiger".

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 05:03:35 PM »
Try hitting ENTER 3 times for No Cockpit art..It's amazing how good your view is then. :devil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »
Try hitting ENTER 3 times for No Cockpit art..It's amazing how good your view is then. :devil

:rofl :rofl
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »
I do believe the GV icon distance for airplanes should be extended, to 2 or 2.5K. Right now, by the time the icon appears, you are almost where you want to be releasing your bomb and pulling up, and almost within range for wirbels.

I think making dive-bombing slightly easier in this way would be better for "balancing" air and ground power in the MA than the current solution of allowing anyone who can vaguely fly a plane straight and shoot to up unlimited 37MM Il2s and strafe sitting-duck tanks.  :devil

Your kidding I hope.  Even I can bomb a GV and I'm the worst bomber in the game.  I think its too easy, and for a better balance the icon range should be shorten to .5k or less.  There is no way a GV can hide from a plane in the game.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »
they killing your motor in ground mode makes it much easier to find them

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »
they killing your motor in ground mode makes it much easier to find them
:huh
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2008, 06:40:54 PM »
Your kidding I hope.  Even I can bomb a GV and I'm the worst bomber in the game.  I think its too easy, and for a better balance the icon range should be shorten to .5k or less.  There is no way a GV can hide from a plane in the game.

Fred

I am not. Dive-bombing requires you to get a little alt, the number of bombs is limited, and hitting is exponentially harder when the target is rolling, so I think it is very fair to GVs. I see no reason why if our pilots eyes are good enough to identify by type an aircraft 3-6K away why he must get to 1.5K to identify a large tank.

Also, I am prejudiced in favor of dive-bombing as the tank killing method vrs. attack planes with tank-busting guns. The former was more common in WWII than the latter, I think the clear superiority of the Il2's 37MMs over other method's of armor destruction in AHII is an aberration.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »
Yes "shift-f4" will put you in ground vis mode.

Its kinda strange (in ground vis mode) that sometimes I can see the little silver dot of a GV from quite a distance, but other times I justabout have to be on top of it to see it.

Most of the time when I am attacking a GV from the air (the only way I can do it sucessfully) I try to spot their cannon or ack fire.

I'm not very good at attacking from altitude, so I come in pretty low on the deck, when range says "600" with 1000 lbs--they are dead. (most of the time).

Typhies Rool, :rock

Boner
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:33:02 PM by 1Boner »
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 08:36:06 PM »
I am not. Dive-bombing requires you to get a little alt, the number of bombs is limited, and hitting is exponentially harder when the target is rolling, so I think it is very fair to GVs. I see no reason why if our pilots eyes are good enough to identify by type an aircraft 3-6K away why he must get to 1.5K to identify a large tank.

Also, I am prejudiced in favor of dive-bombing as the tank killing method vrs. attack planes with tank-busting guns. The former was more common in WWII than the latter, I think the clear superiority of the Il2's 37MMs over other method's of armor destruction in AHII is an aberration.

I understand that your prejudiced towards the bombing, but being a regular GVer, I'm more partial to GVs.  If a GV other than the flacks had some type of defense against bombing, then I can see your point.  A tank has no real defense against a plane.  I know there is the pintle gun, and at times the main gun can be used, I have downed planes with both, but it is few and far between.  The only real defense a GV (excluding flacks) has against being dive bombed is the ability to hide.  In this game it is impossible for a GV to hide from an air con. 

I can hear the argument now, get someone to ride shotgun with a Wirble, but we all know that many times your basically on your own.  To be honest with you I would settle for a 50 cal on the tanks, at least we would have some chance of defending ourselves.

I agree with you, we are looking at this from two different angles, and interests.  What is the solution that will work for both of us? I have no idea, so until then I just work with what I got.   :salute

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »

I can hear the argument now, get someone to ride shotgun with a Wirble, but we all know that many times your basically on your own.  To be honest with you I would settle for a 50 cal on the tanks, at least we would have some chance of defending ourselves.

If it didn't have a 50 on it in WW2, it won't have a 50 on it in the game.

Pretty simple in this game really--pick your poison. :D
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
Previously there has been a concern (at least somewhat valid, IMHO) that it was too easy to pork ords and blow the VH at an airbase and just over-run it with vehicles, and the airplanes couldn't do a thing about it. Yes, I know some could whack gvs effectively with a HurrIID or the like, but most could not. Also there was a not totally invalid concern that wirbel hordes in particular were abit unbalancing in that situation.

The solution to this problem we have been presented with is the heavy gun package on the Il2. But its overkill, it makes destroying/crippling GVs about as difficult as vulching, swings the balance too far the other way. So it needs a light perk at least. One big part of my reason for saying this is that while strafing with the Il2 is the vastly easier method in AHII, historically during the war most attack planes were designed to take down GVs with ordinance, must have been some reason for this.

OTOH, the fact that one suicide 190 could easily run in NOE and strafe down ords at field was always a bad idea. And once again, I cannot see why an airplane should be identifiable at 6K but a VH cannot be identified until 1.5K, and I think the icon range on GVs needs to be outside the guns range of WWs, for obvious reasons.

I understand that your prejudiced towards the bombing, but being a regular GVer, I'm more partial to GVs.  If a GV other than the flacks had some type of defense against bombing, then I can see your point.  A tank has no real defense against a plane.  I know there is the pintle gun, and at times the main gun can be used, I have downed planes with both, but it is few and far between.  The only real defense a GV (excluding flacks) has against being dive bombed is the ability to hide.  In this game it is impossible for a GV to hide from an air con. 

I agree with you, we are looking at this from two different angles, and interests.  What is the solution that will work for both of us? I have no idea, so until then I just work with what I got.   :salute

Fred

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 08:55:19 AM »
If it didn't have a 50 on it in WW2, it won't have a 50 on it in the game.

Pretty simple in this game really--pick your poison. :D

Might want to check this website  http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/vehiclesarmor/p/M4Sherman.htm

Clearly states .50 cal as secondary armament.

Fred

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »
Might want to check this website  http://militaryhistory.about.com/od/vehiclesarmor/p/M4Sherman.htm

Clearly states .50 cal as secondary armament.

Fred
The firefly variant didn't, the brits mounted a .30. Gl finding a photo with a .50 on it.
See Rule #4

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 09:36:52 AM »
I can clearly see gv's a 3.5, farther if they are moving... In f1 mode...
Its the little sparkle they have, as they move across the terrain, that gives them away..
German vehicles, Tig, Pnz, Wir, Ost, 251, stick out like little golden candies..
The green vehicles, sitting still in a FOREST, (not a single tree) are tougher to spot..
But a low pass always finds them... By juggling your game sounds you can find sneaky M3s
hiding in barns, etc... GV'ers should remember, that engine sound will give you away, even
to airplanes.. And your gunfire can be seen from 5k or more...

Besides, there are usually friendlies putting gunfire on them anyway.. So you select your
target before you even set up your Divebomb run... Informed by your buddies on the radio
as to target type, Icons don't matter very much...

Look close, you'll see them.. Once you have a practiced eye, they jump right out....

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
The firefly variant didn't, the brits mounted a .30. Gl finding a photo with a .50 on it.

Guys, I'm really not trying to get into a pissing contest here  :D.  Its just I'm not a Military Historian, so out of curiosity I google things I don't know.  Check this site out concerning the Sherman Firefly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Firefly . It clearly state that there is a .50 cal gun.  Maybe I got the wrong year of the tank or something  :D

Fred