Author Topic: would you object  (Read 2175 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
would you object
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2001, 10:33:00 AM »

Originally posted by lazs:
perhaps we could have an Amish section of the map where fun would be banned and all kinds of cool ideas that make things tedious and boring could be tried?  
lazs

heh lazs - you would see handles like 'zebediah' and 'ezekial' and those balsa wood fighters would really hold their energy states!

Offline Uzzi

• Zinc Member
would you object
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2001, 10:39:00 AM »
Only been playing a couple of days <big fun> but seems like we spend enough time waiting in the game as it is!

Map is huge and usually a 10 min flight at least to any action, driving triple that, so I think having to wait even longer to respawn wouldn't sound like fun to me anyway! :-)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
would you object
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
reason i want spawn limit is not so much to stop vulching

its more to make ppl join missions, since they will have a "down time" period in which to get organized.

but i guess it is forcing a behavior pattern.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
would you object
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Interesting idea zigrat, maybe something like this:

If you're shot down within 2 minutes of spawning 3 times in a row, you have to wait X minute(s) before rolling again.

I've been defending a base and done the 'ol roll the B26 round the barnyard like a go-cart trying to kill drunks. This just shouldn't be allowed as an acceptable field defense in my opinion.

Also, I think the dropping of ordinance should not be allowed til the bombers wheels are off the ground (hint, hint)

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
would you object
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
That's the problem Zig, you can't MAKE people join missions.  No matter what the down time is.  People can be encouraged to, but making them join will never work.

In that vain though, Zig, your missions in Rookland are the best, and I've got a couple ideas of mine own, but I need you (the butcher birds) Cave's guys and my guys to pull off some really neat all Waffe raids.

Cobra

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
would you object
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
LOL Hblair. Thought I was the only one that pulled that nasty little 'Saigon Surprise' gaming trick.  

(Hang, desperate to hold a falling field taxis B26 from BH to maproom amongst stream of invading troopers, opens bomb doors and toggles bombs)

"scratch one capture".

War is hell.

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
would you object
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by Westy:
I would prefer a time limit in respawning from THAT particular filed that I'd just taken off from before subsequently getting shot down or crashing.

Until I saw Westy's idea I thought, "Bad idea."  This however would be PERFECT!!!

One of the biggest pains in the bellybutton is suppressing a field while taking it only to have one player continually up from the field over and over.  

The biggest problem with the no flight for 5 minutes rule is as Westy stated, no one wants to sit in the tower for 5 minutes and do nothing.  If however, a timer for that field is started from the time you spawn on a runway, the idea would be that you couldnt respawn from that field for 5 minutes after you spawn.  Normally, we spend more than 5 minutes climbing to alt before we get engaged so most of the time this limit wouldnt affect us.

The time it WOULD affect us is when a field is being attacked.  If you roll down a runway oblivious to the vulching hoards above you, tough luck.  You wait until the 5 minute period is up to respawn from that field or grab a plane from the next closest field.

That would accomplish what I think everyone is looking for here.

-Ding

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
would you object
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2001, 12:17:00 PM »
hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I like it Ding & Westy.

<S!> Good idea.

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
would you object
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
Yeee ha!!    I finally had a full term thought  

One minor problem still exists. What is the trip for the timer to begin. How does the host know your respawning to prevent a base capture?  Would the conditions be that all ack is down at the intended target and a pilot then has to be subsequently shot down X amount of times before they get thier geer up or failed to reach XX altitude?

It's obvious to us when a person(s) is respawn ing repeatedly to prolong a base from being captured. But how does the host?

-Westy

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
would you object
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2001, 12:36:00 PM »
Ummm....  Guys....

As others have pointed out, we already HAVE a means to prevent repeated spawning:  kill the hangars.

The question is:  is it now too hard to capture a field?  I don't think so.  Takes a little planning and teamwork, but it happens.

The problem with a limited respawn is that fields would be way too easy to capture during off-peak hours.  Two Chogs to kill ack and vultch a few defenders, and the field is "closed".
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
would you object
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
It's a good idea...BUT!

Some pay for their internet usage by the unit, meaning that although AH has a flat rate, some are being charged by their ISP for those five minutes of down time.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
would you object
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
No. Period.

I don't have much time to fly as it is.

I log on and then have to sit for 4 minutes and 30 seconds becaus eI happened to miss a spawn time?

Westy's idea looks better...until you examine it.

I have logged on and seen situations where the Rooks (I fly for the Rooks, I'm sure Bishes and Knits have had this happen too)were down to 4 or 5 fields, and only one of those was still capable of launching aircraft because the other countries were bombing the hangars at the other fields.  Mind you, they weren't trying to end the war, they were just denying us the use of those fields.  Crippling a country and then screwing all of its players this way would be too easy.  It'd make us "limited time" folks log off pretty quick, be us Rooks, Bishops or Knights.

------------------
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
would you object
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2001, 01:36:00 PM »
Guys, I think the spirit of this thread is to try to cure the problems of a field capture gone bad because of the dude who spawns a jillion and a half times.

He spawns this end of runway..
bang bang, he's dead.
He spawns the other end...
bang, dead.
In the hangar, he's rolling...
strafed, dead.
He throws a fake on other end of runway, then gets back in tower.
He throws a quick fake in the hangar.
Here a spawn, there a spawn, everywhere a spawn spawn.
Then he sits in the tower, like the shark on jaws, waiting for the goonie, quick spawn in B26, in hangar! full throttle go-cart course to the goonie!
Get him! Get him! he manages to kill one drunk.

Field capture shot.

Sure, its better to kill all hangars, matter of fact I very rarely will even consider bringing a goon to a field where any towers are standing. But not all field captures go according to plan...

[This message has been edited by hblair (edited 01-24-2001).]

lazs

would you object
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
What is this "mission" thing?   sounds kinda Amish.  
lazs

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
would you object
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »

Guys, I think the spirit of this thread is to try to cure the problems of a field capture gone bad because of the dude who spawns a jillion and a half times.

I've never seen someone spawn at a field where the hangers were down.  The means are already there to prevent this from happening.

People just want to make it easier to capture a base.  That, too, is a bad idea.

AKDejaVu