Author Topic: would you object  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
would you object
« on: January 23, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
to only have spawning available for 1 out of every 5 minutes?

ie "open" fields are open during an hour minues 1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36 etcera

if yuou  die during one of these minutes, u can immediately respawn, but otherwise u must wait until nxt respawn period (maximum of 5 minutes) to spawn

would promote teamwork imo

funked

would you object
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
I suggested something very similar once on AGW.  Was flamed heavily.   The less-than-5-minute-per-sortie goobers are just as vocal a minority as the one-plane one-dimensional-skillset crybabies.  

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 01-23-2001).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
would you object
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
Limiting spawning in any way is a bad idea, IMO.

AKDejaVu

eskimo

would you object
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2001, 06:53:00 PM »
Yes, I would object.

eskimo

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
would you object
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
not talking about crazy stuff like 1 life or 1 death per hour

just spawning once every 5 minutes

5 minutes aint a long time

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
would you object
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
Zigrat, have you seen any discussions on making a pilot wait 5 minutes after being killed?  Pretty fricking violent.  Now make a pilot wait even if he lives.

I do not believe it is a good idea.

AKDejaVu

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
would you object
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2001, 07:14:00 PM »
wont always be 5 minutes, thats a maximum. average would be 2 minutes,

what is 2 minutes for better game play?

what is the legitimate argument against such a thing?

i would be very opposed to spawning every hour or some such rediculous thing, but average of 2 minutes?

LJK Raubvogel

would you object
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2001, 07:16:00 PM »
I mentioned somthing similar in "another sim", and got about the same response Zig. I'd like to see plane types and numbers available limited by field. i.e., an airfield can only spawn xx number of SpitIX's an hour, or a vh can only spawn xx number of Ostwinds an hour. So, if someone kamikazes 50 Ostwinds in an hour, that field's supply is used up, and they have to use something else until the next "tick." I think it would promote using more planes in the plane set, and discourage kamikaze behavior. But, the "I gotta have my plane and can't fly nothing else" crowd will always shoot down an idea like that. Just like the "I want to fly anything from anywhere at any time" crowd will shoot down your idea  

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

[This message has been edited by LJK Raubvogel (edited 01-23-2001).]

PakRat

would you object
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2001, 07:16:00 PM »
Bad idea.

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
would you object
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2001, 07:18:00 PM »
The argument against such a thing is fundamental.  Limiting the ability of someone to spawn from a base causes dead time.  Its like radio dead time.  Some people will tend to log off.  That is bad.

That is how simple the argument is.

What is arguable, is if it will actually enhance gameplay.  Afterall, you've now created a 5 minute window to get things done.  I'm sure that won't be gamed in any way.. like someone hitting a base right after the respawn window since they know that nobody can spawn if they didn't a min ago.  Things like that would be unlikely.. right?

Success promotes teamwork.  Pilots promote teamwork.  That is where things happen.  The game wouldn't be promoting anything.. it would be FORCING it.  That is never good.

AKDejaVu

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
would you object
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2001, 07:51:00 PM »
i understand your position dejavu but i dont agree  tho there definitely would be possibilities for gaming it as u said with base strikes and the like.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
would you object
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2001, 08:36:00 PM »
Try 1 minute.  That would slow insta-spawn dweebery during field capture, but wouldn't really affect the general playing public.

[This message has been edited by Sancho (edited 01-23-2001).]

AKSeaWulfe

would you object
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
Limited spawns work in scenarios, that's just about it. You can't limit spawning in an arena that's built around fast, furious AND FUN!! If you do, it's not fast nor is it fun waiting for your turn to be allowed to go up again. If you have a problem capturing bases, may I suggest you take down the HANGARS first then strafe down the FUEL TANKS and drive your little goon on in there. You not only enforce limited spawning, but you deny it for those that are trying to defend that field.

Problem solved, no one gets upset.
-SW

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
would you object
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2001, 09:17:00 PM »
While I don't exactly like the means, I like the ends. Having 15 guys all up at the same time would be pretty cool. It's the 5 minute wait that kills this idea. There's just no way.

I still think that creating some kinda OC as they have in AW would be very cool. It's been argued by HTC that talking on the vicinity channel is basically the same thing. Not at all. Getting killed then winding up back in a room where everyone's handle is displayed, and a text buffer is opened would lead to a lot more teamwork (and commradery etc.) than the current situation where yer standing alone in some tower.

Offline Regurge

• Nickel Member
would you object
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2001, 12:22:00 AM »
A used to have this multi player game called ShockForce (I think). It was alot like AH only it used futuristic hover-tanks.

Anyway, each time u died u had to wait 1 minute to respawn and I thot it worked very well. You just took a few seconds to size up the radar situation and watched the counter tick away thinking 'just a few more seconds and i can launch'. There was also strat stuff that could be accomplished in the towewr.