Author Topic: CV Control  (Read 2307 times)

Offline shoppe

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.britlink.com/theofficeshoppe/
CV Control
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »
So I capture a Rook VH base in Mid-war, I'm Bish, and stay to defend. Rook comes up, ( I really want to say his name but know I probably shouldn't) and takes VH down with Lancs, he did well, couldn't stop him, and he gets me too. I know he will be back in a C47 so I up from a CV that's fairly close and get him just as he lands and releases troops, 4 got in I think. Upped a fresh plane and look for him coming in from a different direction, there he is, kill him, base safe.

This Rook, (by the way, this is not a rant against Rooks, just happened to be his country), who is ranked #1 in Mid-war, then changes sides from Rooks to Bish, and takes control of our CV, no-one can get it back as he is ranked #1. ( I know, improve your score then you can take it back! I don't play that much and this guy makes a career out of being #1, must play all the waking hours under the sun)! Guides the CV to  where his buddies can kill it, which they do, then when the CV re-ups does the same thing again. So not exactly cheating, I guess not against the rules, he's allowed to change sides, but still, pretty lame. The only way I can think of stopping him, or at least hindering him is to report him for abusing the chat feature, thinking using chat to tell the opposing team where to go to kill our CV is abuse, and do so. He gives up on the CV and comes back in with his shade account giving me grief, at least I got a laugh out of that.

On a related item I have also seen before where people are gonna log from the game, and just before they do they change sides and send an enemy CV to an area where it can be found and destroyed by players in their former country.

My point is, would it be an improvement to restrict a player from being able to control CVs unless he has been on that country for a set time period, a couple of hours maybe? It would certainly have stopped both the things above happening.

Shop

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: CV Control
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:41:20 AM »
Good idea to stop these worthless types abusing the score thing.  :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »
So I capture a Rook VH base in Mid-war, I'm Bish, and stay to defend. Rook comes up, ( I really want to say his name but know I probably shouldn't) and takes VH down with Lancs, he did well, couldn't stop him, and he gets me too. I know he will be back in a C47 so I up from a CV that's fairly close and get him just as he lands and releases troops, 4 got in I think. Upped a fresh plane and look for him coming in from a different direction, there he is, kill him, base safe.

This Rook, (by the way, this is not a rant against Rooks, just happened to be his country), who is ranked #1 in Mid-war, then changes sides from Rooks to Bish, and takes control of our CV, no-one can get it back as he is ranked #1. ( I know, improve your score then you can take it back! I don't play that much and this guy makes a career out of being #1, must play all the waking hours under the sun)! Guides the CV to  where his buddies can kill it, which they do, then when the CV re-ups does the same thing again. So not exactly cheating, I guess not against the rules, he's allowed to change sides, but still, pretty lame. The only way I can think of stopping him, or at least hindering him is to report him for abusing the chat feature, thinking using chat to tell the opposing team where to go to kill our CV is abuse, and do so. He gives up on the CV and comes back in with his shade account giving me grief, at least I got a laugh out of that.

On a related item I have also seen before where people are gonna log from the game, and just before they do they change sides and send an enemy CV to an area where it can be found and destroyed by players in their former country.

My point is, would it be an improvement to restrict a player from being able to control CVs unless he has been on that country for a set time period, a couple of hours maybe? It would certainly have stopped both the things above happening.

Shop

eehh...it's just some dope gaming the game.

shoulda got some friends, and launched from the cv and kilt his buddies. THAT woulda pissed him off :rofl :rofl

in reality, there's not much ya can do about it. i think htc has things set as best as they can considering the environment ingame, and changes would be detrimental for now.

BTW.....wtg on protecting the base sir!

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
I agree that's some pretty low- life game playing but, as said above, I don't know that there's much you can do about it. Problem is, if you try and place some restriction on how carriers are controlled, it applies to the legit players as well as the bad ones.

I regularly switch sides. If I log on in mid- war and see my sides' carrier too far away from a position where it can be used, I'll often take control of it and get it started in  a useful direction. It would be a drag if I logged in to a slow arena and couldn't even move the carrier in a direction to get into a fight.

As an aside, I would say there's nothing wrong with a little public shaming when someone pulls a stunt like that. Shortly after I started in the Allies vs. Axis arena I witnessed a similar stunt.

The guy was Eggcream. Don't know if he's still around or even if that was his regular handle. I was with Allies and we were trying to take a base on the Axis mainland. We were having a tough enough time of it despite having way superior numbers.

Apparently Eggcream, who I didn't think of as a particularly good fighter at the time, had been milkrunning the game earlier and ended up as #1 right at the start of the tour. He switches over to Allied, takes command of the carrier and sends it to the South coast of England, thus ruining the assault.

Really low class and he was berated for it by the players, despite his assertion that he had some strategic reason for sending the carrier away.

Don't know if AH got on him for it, he quit, or just changed usernames. I don't believe I've seen him since.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
I agree that's some pretty low- life game playing but, as said above, I don't know that there's much you can do about it. Problem is, if you try and place some restriction on how carriers are controlled, it applies to the legit players as well as the bad ones.

I regularly switch sides. If I log on in mid- war and see my sides' carrier too far away from a position where it can be used, I'll often take control of it and get it started in  a useful direction. It would be a drag if I logged in to a slow arena and couldn't even move the carrier in a direction to get into a fight.

As an aside, I would say there's nothing wrong with a little public shaming when someone pulls a stunt like that. Shortly after I started in the Allies vs. Axis arena I witnessed a similar stunt.

The guy was Eggcream. Don't know if he's still around or even if that was his regular handle. I was with Allies and we were trying to take a base on the Axis mainland. We were having a tough enough time of it despite having way superior numbers.

Apparently Eggcream, who I didn't think of as a particularly good fighter at the time, had been milkrunning the game earlier and ended up as #1 right at the start of the tour. He switches over to Allied, takes command of the carrier and sends it to the South coast of England, thus ruining the assault.

Really low class and he was berated for it by the players, despite his assertion that he had some strategic reason for sending the carrier away.

Don't know if AH got on him for it, he quit, or just changed usernames. I don't believe I've seen him since.
public shaming is the best idea, as there's no other way really to handle it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 10:41:30 AM »
public shaming is the best idea, as there's no other way really to handle it.

I agree to some extent Cap, but some of these dorks revel in the fact that they are working at the limits of the games setup and ruining a fair gameplay situation for others. 

With that said...What is the Dork's name? :t
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
Bi-Gamer.

:lol

Edit:  I was really hoping for a pacerr thread though!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:47:04 AM »
Biggamer is currently the #1 ranked player in mid-war and fly's rooks.  Not saying it WAS Biggamer, just pointing that fact out.

And for the record, while not against the rules or anything, it's a super huge weenie move and yes the player needs to be shamed over it. 

(edit: and I don't think this is anything that HTC should have to COAD over.  We the community should deal with this type of player and discourage this type of behaviour)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:49:38 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »
easy fix for HT. Change sides, make it where u cant take controll of Fleets for 24 hours.

Offline Fugita

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »
That's how a you get to be #1 in the less inhabited arenas, by being a complete D**K.

I'm sure there are some really good people in the non-late war arenas. I "rarely" ever venture into them, but all I ever hear is how screwed up those arenas are with these skilless and gameless idiots and the packs of Hyenas who fly at 20K+.

I would like to venture away from late war from time to time,but for what. It's probably why there's only like 10 people in there at any given time.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
Maybe we should all switch to MW for a while and ruin this Dork's day.  Thoughts?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
I think that the 24 hour waiting period sounds perfectly reasonable.  After all, the folks that regularly switch to the side with the fewest numbers typically are NOT the folks who are into "winning the war" anyway.  So they, typically, have a much lesser interest in the strategic positioning of CV groups. 

I don't change sides, personally.  My in game friends all stay on a specific side.  So perhaps someone who does hop sides frequently can confirm or deny my theory.

As for shaming the gaming the game dweeb, I'm all for that too.  But, correct me if I am wrong, hasn't the community made efforts to shame this particular individual before over other issues of grand dweebery?  Why should we expect such a shaming to have an effect on him, since previous shamings don't seem to have prevented the dork from persisting with this dorky behavior?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 11:39:24 AM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »
Biggamer is currently the #1 ranked player in mid-war and fly's rooks.  Not saying it WAS Biggamer, just pointing that fact out.

And for the record, while not against the rules or anything, it's a super huge weenie move and yes the player needs to be shamed over it. 

(edit: and I don't think this is anything that HTC should have to COAD over.  We the community should deal with this type of player and discourage this type of behaviour)

HOW THOUGH?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »
That's how a you get to be #1 in the less inhabited arenas, by being a complete D**K.

I'm sure there are some really good people in the non-late war arenas. I "rarely" ever venture into them, but all I ever hear is how screwed up those arenas are with these skilless and gameless idiots and the packs of Hyenas who fly at 20K+.

I would like to venture away from late war from time to time,but for what. It's probably why there's only like 10 people in there at any given time.

UUMM......

the only 20k guys in mw are the lw guys that come in to pad their scores.

there's a lot of lw guys that cme in and have fun fightin down low too.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »
Maybe we should all switch to MW for a while and ruin this Dork's day.  Thoughts?

just so long as you ignore the extremely poorly flown f6f on the knights side :rofl

seriously....that'd probably be a blast!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"