Author Topic: Bombing with fighters  (Read 956 times)

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
Re: Bombing with fighters
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 02:13:30 AM »
My advice....go to the Training Arena and utilize its features to better your skills.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 06:04:58 AM »
My advice....go to the Training Arena and utilize its features to better your skills.

Get with one of the training guys. I know just hanging out in the TA could probably expose you to accomplished dive bombers.

Utilizing the training resources is really the best way to go. I know I made my biggest strides forward doing so.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »
A note if you use Combat trim. IF you do drop a notch or two of flaps be prepared for the nose up force it will generate, tough to fight the flaps and keep pointed on target. And for maximum effectiveness of the dive flap you should have Combat trim off.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 01:16:38 PM »
Here's a question in response to the "steep angle of attack" dive bombing technique...I've watched Jab come into a base, or CV, at low altitude and lob the bombs into target. Presumably that requires a forward movement of at least 1000 ' to set the detonator. What's the trick to lobbing?

The trick is to adjust your speed to alt.  IE. say 200 ft,at 200 mph the bombs should travel far enough to arm and explode.Remember to pull sharply up or you'll get nailed by your own bomb. :pray

A squaddie has made a chart for us that shows alts and speed,he has great success using this technique and can use any A/C to do this with.He developed it starting with Ar234 in low level attacks.

It very useful on cv's, you can approach the fleet below most of the manned guns. :aok

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »
Practice in the training arena  will help.  Understanding how the Optical sights used in the game function for bombing also will help.  The sight in the P51D is the best example.   It is actually two sights in one, the bulls eye, for centering aircraft and shooting them down.  The second sight is the little lines directly under the bulls eye.  That portion of the sight is used as the bombing sight.

The P51D sight is the only one I’ve seen , there maybe others available in the game.  But you can dive on a target, I like a dive angle between 45 and 60 degrees.  Line up the target, as you move in on the target, don’t keep it centered in bulls eye, let it slip down to the lower edges of the sight and press the release.  A stabilized approach helps, with speed a constant. 

Come fly with the 113th Lucky Strikes as Knights any Saturday night, we do a lot of town busting and have perfected the single pass take down of any hanger.  We use the P38L as our primary weapon.  Hope this helps.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes