Author Topic: Not sure how many of you are into Trek...But......  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Not sure how many of you are into Trek...But......
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »
I loved the original series FAR more than STNG. Reason is it didn't have episodes that contradicted previous ones.

Problem with this movie is it will have Kirk fighting the Romulans. If you recall the episode, "Balance of Power", :The U.S.S. Enterprise is able to pick up a visual from the Romulan bridge, which shows the previously unseen Romulans to look very much like Vulcans. This sparks an old prejudice in Lieutenant Andrew Stiles, whose family fought in the Romulan wars. He is instantly suspicious of Spock, whose physical characteristics are remarkably similar to the Romulans they are chasing.

That thought crossed my mind as well.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
...the ever growing pile. :aok

:salute
Xcelsior

PILE being the operative word here.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 01:16:19 PM »
PILE being the operative word here.

I am way to lazy to build anything to put movies on.  Took enough work to build this desk as it is, no need to spend more time on a new project yet. :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »
The ORIGINAL sexy Vulcan

(Image removed from quote.)

:p

And FarScape was the DEFINITION of good SciFi the first half of the decade. Do you think it's a COINCIDENCE SG-1 brought in Ben Browder and Claudia Black?

The cancelation of FarScape was a travesty. Not just that it HAPPENED, but HOW it happened.
:huh
IMO Kirstie Alley was perhaps the worst conceived and acted vulcan in the entire Star Trek universe.  Come on -- a vulcan that cries at the end of the show??  Give me a break.

Completely agree with you about Farscape, though.  I was glad they did the four hour movie to wrap it up, but it also made me very sad . . . you could see them trying to wedge 20 episodes into those 4 hours . . . some of it worked, some of it didn't.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »
Come on -- a vulcan that cries at the end of the show??  Give me a break.

You DO realize she's half Romulan, right? Even Spock's half human emotions got the better of him from time to time in TOS.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 03:40:24 PM »
You DO realize she's half Romulan, right? Even Spock's half human emotions got the better of him from time to time in TOS.

SAXMAN, Your scaring me !
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »
I enjoy watching Star Trek and feel I know enough about the entire series....but some of you are over the top GEEKS....lol.  I watch Enterprise for the hot chic...also watched Voyager for the hot Borg.  And at one time I thought Deana Troy was hot....then I though the dr. was hotter.  Red heads are nice. :noid
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 05:11:42 PM »
Missed that part.  When did they mention that in the movie?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »
It's not in the movie itself, but in the back-story used when they were developing and fleshing out the character.

I DO believe there was a scene that was cut from one of the three movies with Saavik which would have discussed it.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 09:13:36 AM »
I don't like it already just from seeing the cast in the photos. Everyone is just too young looking. I don't see how it can be plausible to have a Captain that age. Not to mention all those pretty crew members.

But (sigh) all Hollywood movies these days are targetted at the teenage boy market and their fantasies. :rolleyes:

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 10:19:16 AM »
Welcome to Star Trek 90210

:rolleyes:

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
It's not in the movie itself, but in the back-story used when they were developing and fleshing out the character.

I DO believe there was a scene that was cut from one of the three movies with Saavik which would have discussed it.
That's all fine and dandy, but if it didn't make it to the screen, then it didn't happen as far as the audience is concerned.

She was portrayed as a Vulcan.  As a Vulcan, she sucked.  End of story.  IMO and YMMV.

<<Edit>> I suppose I shouldn't say she sucked, because if she was following what the writers/directors wanted, she technically did nothing wrong.

The chick they got for the later movies was a much better portrayal IMO.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 03:16:55 PM by E25280 »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 08:04:53 PM »
If it was used to make the movie it don't matter whether it was on screen or not.

And Robin Curtis was awful.

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2008, 02:33:01 AM »
Curlew in the origonal captains seat form the serries  :rock
Exgirlfriend at my side (was my gf at the time) and mommy and daddy at the helm and wepons

The jumping out of the gaurdian

As for the movie, well we will see, Idk about that bridge, but i am now inspired to go watch khan now  :salute
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
Curlew in the origonal captains seat form the serries  :rock
Exgirlfriend at my side (was my gf at the time) and mommy and daddy at the helm and wepons

The jumping out of the gaurdian

As for the movie, well we will see, Idk about that bridge, but i am now inspired to go watch khan now  :salute

Why on earth would you take photos of your computer screen like that? And why on earth did you dump that pretty girl..?  :huh :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone