Author Topic: New player saying hello.  (Read 1198 times)

Offline malpeake

• Zinc Member
New player saying hello.
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:05:38 PM »
Hello everyone, last week i saw a TV commercial for Aces High and thought i would give it a try.
I looks very good so far, but wow, what a lot to learn, i have just been flying offline doing landings and i am definitely improving, instead of crashing into the scenery i can now pancake it on the runway :lol.

I am flying a P51D, is another aircraft better to learn to fly in? i tried a couple of different models of the Spitfire but i find the Mustang easier to fly.

I hope to see you all soon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:07:40 PM by malpeake »
I fly Spits because I'm  Brit, It's in our DNA to fly Spits.

Mal.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: New player saying hello.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:17:08 PM »
The Spitfire MkIX, N1K2J, F6F5 and Bf109G2 are all great planes to start in. However I suggest just choosing an aircraft you've always liked and learn to fly it.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:50:57 PM »
Welcome.  You're in for a great time.  Be sure to visit the Trainers' website, http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ for lots of good info on basic skills and techniques.  Also visit the Net Aces website, http://www.netaces.org/ for good info on Basic Fighter and Air Combat techniques.

Once you feel comfortable flying and landing, sign up for your free two weeks online and go to the Training Arena and get some time with the trainers and other helpful people there.  There is no substitute for flying with and against other humans.  It took me around a month before I felt competent enough to go online without feeling I'd be wasting my free two weeks just trying to take off and land.

Above all else, have fun and don't worry about what others do or say.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:40:45 AM »
Welcome to your new addiction  :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:35:24 AM »
welcome :salute  stay away from the ponys....they'll only bring you pain and sorrow  :lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
  Welcome  :salute
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »
Welcome aboard!

My best advice would be...

#1 go to www.netaces.org and read everything at least three times.  (EVERYTHING)  Same with the http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ site.  Heck, when I was new to WW2 flight sims I printed everything I could on the subject and kept it in a couple 3-ring binders and read it in my spare time.

#2. visit the Training Arena and log some flight time with one of AH's wonderfull Trainers.  10 hours with a Trainer = 6 months (or more) of "figure it out on y'er own"

#3. be patient.   The learning curve is a bit steep.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »
Welcome aboard!

My best advice would be...

#1 go to www.netaces.org and read everything at least three times.  (EVERYTHING)  Same with the http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ site.  Heck, when I was new to WW2 flight sims I printed everything I could on the subject and kept it in a couple 3-ring binders and read it in my spare time.

#2. visit the Training Arena and log some flight time with one of AH's wonderfull Trainers.  10 hours with a Trainer = 6 months (or more) of "figure it out on y'er own"

#3. be patient.   The learning curve is a bit steep.
'Specially if ye be in the MA. One slip, and yer falling aft over face down Mt. Everest into the open mouths of the Vulchers below.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »

Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:25:14 AM »
Welcome to Aces High!  You'll have a ton of "how to's?" once you come online.  Spend a ton of time in the training arena.  Also, if you see me around and have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

AH is peopled by folks of all ages.  Find some older guys and try to ignore the rest.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 09:04:19 AM »
 What Lute said!!!

Spend alot of time in Training arena and learn basics,doing this in 1 of the mains will lead to frustration and most of your time wondering why??

Depending on your experience,with flight sims,you'll need to learn takeoffs,landing and basic flight manuvers.There are many players willing to help,trainers too,visit the trainers site and read up on how to use the clipboard,maps,mapkeys and control settings.

Oh ya... have fun and welcome to ur new addictions... :devil

Offline DustyR

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:34 AM »
Welcome to a new type of addiction.  One populated with friends & foe alike.  Most will be helpful, some down right nasty, ignore the nasties and enjoy the rest.
Again visit the training arena, hook up with a trainer and we'll see you in the big sky. :noid  :salute
Coal Country WV -- Home of the free ** because of the brave.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »
AH has a TV commercial now?  Anyone got a link?

Welcome to Aces High!  This is a fun game with a very good community in it.  An easy plane to learn to fly in... depends there are a couple planes that can be considered very easy in one category of flight and difficult in another, it all depends on what you want to focus on.  What I would find difficult in learning how to fly in this game with the P51D is a couple things.  First is one that all single-enging fighter have in this game, and that's engine torque.  An easier way to take off and land is with a two-engine light/fighter aircraft, in regards to eliminating the single-engine torque problem.  Try the P-38 for some takeoffs and landing on your own, in my opinion it's one of the easiest fighters to land and take off, light or heavy.  And speaking of light and heavy and the P51D, that plane in my opinion does not like to be heavy and/or slow and/or low.  If I'm flying on the deck and doing a lot of maneuvering, I prefer the P51B, the P51D really likes the altitude and really shines above 15k.  If you're just practicing landings and takeoffs and some low altitude maneuvers, I recommend trying a light (25-50% fuel, no ord) P51B or a light P51D is similar enough if you want to stick with it. 

The Training Arena in this game is great resource, take advantage of it and the awesome people there to help.  They'll repeatedly watch you turn the pristine runway into what looks like the surface of the moon until you get it right, and even let you shoot them down all in the name of making you a better shot.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 10:23:31 AM »
AH has a TV commercial now?  Anyone got a link?
Its often on the history channel.Been playing for some time.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:42 AM »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals