Author Topic: Word Around the Campfire (con't)...  (Read 3536 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Word Around the Campfire (con't)...
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 10:09:57 PM »
More entitlement... If what they have to say is better left unsaid...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »
Firstly this is rumour so I'm not overly convinced until it's in black & white.  Secondly I played through Warbirds when they had 2 games, WBI & WBII, running simultaneously.  It killed WB and was my primary reason for moving here...and very pleased I did.

I posted back in the original CT thread announcement something like the following.  For CT to work it would have to be a boxed game with expensive marketing. Without masses of new players it's set to reduce the player base into 2 camps and because the arenas are both 1/2 empty many folk will stop subscribing.....aka WB.

Lets face it only geeks like us go out our way to find these games but the masses need leading to the trough. So without millions of dollars of marketing world wide, their (HTC) set to shoot themselves in the foot as WB's did.

I'm half tempted to speculate what they should / could do but there's really no point.  If and I say "IF" this rumour is true it'd be nice to have official confirmation but not having CT is no big deal for me.  I'll concure with some others...lets have some new addition like the HE111, that Italian job and stubby little rusky plane.  Even a fairy battle lol.  Oh! and stop the ability to have dive bombing heavy bombers.  :rolleyes: 

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2008, 06:52:27 AM »
I gave up on it coming out long ago.
Lighten up Francis

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2008, 07:08:02 AM »
maybe they didn't even admit to themselves that it couldn't done right untill now? If that was the case, then they were not hiding anything because they still believed they could do it. Its like your buying a car, you do all that hunting around to find it, finance it and eveything all the while telling everyone you know your getting a new car. Then in the last hour something comes up and you can't get it. You weren't lieing to your friends all that time, you truly believed you were getting it. Sure you might take a bit of ribbing , but hey you didn't mean to cause any trouble. I'm thinking its something along those lines.

On the other hand, maybe they realized that there wasn't a big enough market to support the game. Its a cool idea, but I don't think I would ever played it. I'd rather get into a bunch of fights quick. I don't have time to spend building a character, or to work my way towards the planes and missions I'd think I'd like. Too many people "want things now" and I think that attitude would have killed that game due to the time involved to get into a better position in that game

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
It's all speculation.. I think the formula was very promising.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 09:11:32 AM »
Most businesses believe it is better to obfuscate the truth to the bitter end than admit they messed something up. :P

Well, in my experience, companies, especially ones that deal directly with their customer base as HTC does, or any company that provides a service rather that a product, benefits more by better clarity of communication.  Being obfuscatory, especially when dealing directly with the customer base on a personal level, is not beneficial to either party.  Most people can smell BS, and would prefer the straight truth, as opposed to having smoke and rays of sunshine blown up their ass.  The customer appreciates the honesty, the level of trust remains and customers will maintain a sense of fidelity about their favorite hobby (or service).

If a plumber is honest with his customers and performs his craft with pride and dignity, the rewards will be loyal repeat customers that recommend others.  In this modern world, screwing or being dishonest with your customers is easily remedied by the consumer with the click of a mouse.  Someone is ALWAYS in the process of building a better mousetrap.

Having said that, I can't say that the lack of CT affects me that awful much, but possibly a formal announcement of its demise may be in order, rather than rumors of what someone may, or may not have heard at the convention.

As far as good intentions go?    We know what is paved with them and where it goes   (hint:  it's one of the few that do not lead to Rome)
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline opposum

• Probation
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:46 AM »
i just wish HTC would speak up about it, I'm tired of being in the dark...........

/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »
Does this mean we can't use the "Two-Weeks" joke anymore?          :cry

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 09:36:40 AM »
Let's get the entitlement bandwagon going...

Better graphics would be cool.. Simple and measured pixel shaders, e.g. subtle heat waves, bump-mapping, reflectivity maps (make the worn metal shine from the rest of the paint, anti-glare areas, etc), oil that actualy creeps from its leaks onto the cockpit, rather than appear all of a sudden, glowing tracers.. Make it all toggle-able.
Improve graphics like this, and go back to pumping out planes like they used to back in ~2000, and a lot of people would be satisfied.

I had a long conversation with Dale ...

He is going to be seriously looking at bump-mapping, pixel shading, etc ... He really wants to concentrate on the "land" and "water" aspect to get the "world" looking better. He said that these are some of things that he can take advantage of without a huge "cost" incurred by implementing them.

To those who don't know and say that the graphics engine needs updating ... well it doesn't, or you using that term in the wrong context. HT wrote the current graphics engine from scratch ... Pyro said that they could have bought one, but HT wanted to do it himself. The graphic engine has all the bells and whistles in place, HT just needs to "turn" them on or take advantage of them ... and he probably will turn them on when he feels that a "change" will not exclude a huge part of the player base because of a change.

With that, I also had a long conversation with Waffle ... HTC constantly plays a "balancing" game with graphics/artwork ... they don't want to do things with a "Big Bang" approach ... they want to make changes subtly ... so as to not clobber a good part of their play base. Waffle and SuperFly do pay particular attention to the total amount of polygons to render their artwork. They could go crazy, but then that would result in a much larger download, and/or the need to increase the minimum specs to play the game. It is very important to them that this game be "downloadable" and not require a CD to install.

HTC, in my eyes, pays very much attention to the "lowest common denominator" and is very fickle about why and when they move that line.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:45:15 AM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 09:38:08 AM »
But what was said about CT?
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »
maybe they didn't even admit to themselves that it couldn't done right untill now? If that was the case, then they were not hiding anything because they still believed they could do it. Its like your buying a car, you do all that hunting around to find it, finance it and eveything all the while telling everyone you know your getting a new car. Then in the last hour something comes up and you can't get it. You weren't lieing to your friends all that time, you truly believed you were getting it. Sure you might take a bit of ribbing , but hey you didn't mean to cause any trouble. I'm thinking its something along those lines.

On the other hand, maybe they realized that there wasn't a big enough market to support the game. Its a cool idea, but I don't think I would ever played it. I'd rather get into a bunch of fights quick. I don't have time to spend building a character, or to work my way towards the planes and missions I'd think I'd like. Too many people "want things now" and I think that attitude would have killed that game due to the time involved to get into a better position in that game

HT said that is is simply a "resource" issue.

SuperFly and Waffle are the only artist right now ... so to do all the artwork that would be needed to finish CT and also keep AHII alive and looking good ... just those 2 guys can't do it alone and maybe at this time HTC does not have the capital to employee more artists that would not be needed "after" the lions share of the CT artwork is done ... the per hour cost of contracted artists would probably be very steep.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »
Transcripts of your interviews?      :D

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2008, 09:50:37 AM »
Does this mean we can't use the "Two-Weeks" joke anymore?          :cry

That's correct....but you must wait two weeks before you stop using it.  :huh

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »
Traditional 2-weeks, or HTC version?

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 09:56:43 AM »
Can't say I'm not surprised, I can, however, say I'm not disappointed. I would much rather see HTC put more time toward the existing game than a feature I would not have used.

I agree Motherland.  The possibility of CT was not what drew me here, nor what keeps me here.  Now more resources can be focused on AH!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!