Author Topic: Word Around the Campfire (con't)...  (Read 3507 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Word Around the Campfire (con't)...
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »
That sounds great, I would really love those graphic improvements.  To be honest I'm thankful for whatever HT and crowd throws at me, and I have never really been so hyped at the thought of CT for this to be a major loss for me.
Yeah we really don't need next gen graphics or ground breaking anything.. Just add a few subtle things and the graphics would be good enough.  The skins and models we have are already pretty good, they're just missing some better lighting and texture processing.  The planes themselves are already beautiful.

"replace one worry with another".. What could that mean?

I wasn't really looking forward to CT anyway.  Especially if the AI stays in its current form.  Those AI pilots are able to do a few things that really don't seem quite kosher to me.
e.g.?  Film?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 08:05:02 PM »
Any AI is going to "cheat", and if it doesn't it'll likely get pretty stale and predictable.

But we haven't likely heard the last of the AI. HT talked about eventually integrating it into scenarios or special events...where it could add a lot, especially when numbers are low (or when no one wants to be the bomber drones again!)
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »

e.g.?  Film?

They seem ignore g-force effects on the pilot.  I was fooling around with a Spit5 vs Spit5 mission that someone created.  I watched the AI push his nose over into what should have caused a massive red out.  I don't think I filmed the flight, if I get a chance later I'll try to reproduce the incident.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »
And they drive all over the field ala monster trucks, a technology not present in the 40s.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
They seem ignore g-force effects on the pilot.  I was fooling around with a Spit5 vs Spit5 mission that someone created.  I watched the AI push his nose over into what should have caused a massive red out.  I don't think I filmed the flight, if I get a chance later I'll try to reproduce the incident.

It's not that G forces are ignored -- its that the G force is a major scalable component of what makes the AI tough. Maximum tolerances weren't discussed, but HT did say that the G tolerance was randomized when the AI enters MA and assigned a G tolerance number + or - around some setpoint. I'd bet the low tolerance ones are downed faster, so the high tolerance ones get longer exposure to the MA population...which could give the impression of higher capability that's there on average.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 08:18:41 PM »
Did I miss an episode or something?  Is it common knowledge that AI regularly flies in the MA nowadays?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
Im sure they had great intentions. But with the way things are now. It would be hard on them.
I think (personally) canning CT is a good idea.
I say improve the current game and piss on CT  :aok

I couldn't agree more   :salute
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
Did I miss an episode or something?  Is it common knowledge that AI regularly flies in the MA nowadays?

As far as I know, there was an appearance a few weeks ago. Not seen it myself, think its rrare

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »
HT has turned them loose in the MA a few times for testing, but I don't think it's a regular occurrence.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline bobtom

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »
They better give us more planes then!  :furious

Like the HE-111!!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 08:57:49 PM »
Here's my question.  Don't be too hard on me because it's an honest one and not one of spite.  WHY has HTC kept their customers in total darkness for so long???  What do they gain?  No other company is trying to steal their idea.  Heck, IL-2 already has it.  I just don't get the whole secrecy bit when it comes to the people that are physically paying for it.  Seriously, this has always bothered me.  Why be so hush hush?  If they are too small a company to do it, why not ask some of the hundreds of compu-dweebs in our community for some ideas/help?  Have them sign a waiver stating they get no credit or money from it.  I'm sure plenty of people would still help where they could, if possible.  Why have hundreds of requests for updates gone ignored for years.  It just seems pretty damn rude to me.  Almost all of us are not school children and we've been treated as such imo.  I'm not dogging HTC.  I just don't understand the total lack of info that they've almost never supplied, even still to this day.  I don't care if CT ever comes out.  I can dang near create the same thing with the offline missions.  I guess all I can say is that if it's been scrapped, I would have a lot more respect for HTC if one of them would grab their pebbles and actually SAY IT instead of the ol' TOP SECRET M.O. they've been operating under for so long.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »
The comment about treating us like School children sounds about right. We're just a bunch bunch of nobodies.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
The comment about treating us like School children sounds about right.
Ahhh so you've read the bbs. :D
See Rule #4

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
My last post was not out of anger, just some frustration.  Ok, I am a paying customer.  I was told I would be getting such & such product from X company that is now waaay overdue.  Since my money is helping to pay for the research & development of such & such product, should I not expect even some small progress reports on said product?  I'm sure by law said company doesn't have to say squat.  But what about good manners?  Customer service?  Stuff like that.  I am an MA player that tinkers with all of what AH offers to mess with.  I'm happy with that.  Just giving an honest opinion from an average customer.  I meant no harm.

Please Skuzzy, don't flog a brutha  :pray
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »
Most businesses believe it is better to obfuscate the truth to the bitter end than admit they messed something up. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!