Author Topic: Word Around the Campfire (con't)...  (Read 3488 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Word Around the Campfire (con't)...
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2008, 09:59:59 AM »
Oh! and stop the ability to have dive bombing heavy bombers.  :rolleyes: 

I specifically brought this up during the Q & A ... which didn't get much of a response from HT and Pyro because they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the way they have the bombers modeled ... If I understood HT correctly, anything past 15 degrees dive (on certain bombers) the bombs should not be released.

I could count on one hand the amount of times I have actually upped a bomber, so I have no personal experience of whether bombs can be released in a dive steeper than 15 degrees, but I did say that from what I have personally seen watching bombers dive in on a CV, some appeared to be steeper than 15 degrees.

After pressing the point, Pyro said that he would look at the "numbers" ... so, if you or anyone can provide film of bombers (I would think "level" type bombers ... B17, B24, etc) going past the 15 degree mark and releasing bombs ... that just might be a "nudge" for Pyro.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2008, 10:08:57 AM »
I would think that, in such a die-hard community as this one, populated with people who are, for the most part, fairly creative and computer savvy, that the player base would be tapped more deeply.

There are plenty of talented guys/gals that have the skills to offer.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
I specifically brought this up during the Q & A ... which didn't get much of a response from HT and Pyro because they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the way they have the bombers modeled ... If I understood HT correctly, anything past 15 degrees dive (on certain bombers) the bombs should not be released.

I could count on one hand the amount of times I have actually upped a bomber, so I have no personal experience of whether bombs can be released in a dive steeper than 15 degrees, but I did say that from what I have personally seen watching bombers dive in on a CV, some appeared to be steeper than 15 degrees.

After pressing the point, Pyro said that he would look at the "numbers" ... so, if you or anyone can provide film of bombers (I would think "level" type bombers ... B17, B24, etc) going past the 15 degree mark and releasing bombs ... that just might be a "nudge" for Pyro.

If their contention is 15 degree then the screen shot above must be scotch mist.  This is one of the biggest grips of AH.  May as well be a shark with a frikin lazier beam strapped to it's head for all the authenticity these Lancaster's can do.   :rolleyes:

This "problem" has been repeatedly hashed out on the boards.  Films and screen shot of this going on.  I can only assume a few things as to why it's ALLOWED to happen. 
1)It's a crutch for the newbies to help them think they're contributing to the team
2)It's that far embedded in some kind of base code that they'd have to rewrite watermelon loads of planes.

I'm not buying this 15 degree malarkey.  Bit insulting to ones intelligence if that's the official line.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:02:53 AM by LYNX »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »

You can release bombs at any angle, even when flying your Lancaster inverted:

Did this 3 mins ago ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2008, 11:08:24 AM »
You can release bombs at any angle, even when flying your Lancaster inverted:

(Image removed from quote.)

Did this 3 mins ago ;)
I just sent 2 films to Skuzzy. One of a B17G absolutely vertical. And one of a Lancaster near vertical. Both released their bombs.

In both films, if the bombs were released they should have been banging into the back of the pilot seat or knocking the tail off. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:10:35 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2008, 11:13:51 AM »
I thought he said the drones would not follow the lead bomber past 15 degrees?  I didn't hear the part about the bombs not being able to be dropped past 15 degrees.  
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
Drones will follow their leader through an immelman, but not through a hard flat turn.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dentin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
Most businesses believe it is better to obfuscate the truth to the bitter end than admit they messed something up. :P

Yeah, and the end result is the person/s on the bottom of the "Totem Pole" gets the pole relocated to a most undesirable place on his/her anatomy.  :furious  If your happy with the "status quo" ..stick around, if NOT, keep your money in yer Wallet.  :devil
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »
In the interest of "seeing for myself"...  I just did this in a Lanc.  I'd say dropping at more then a 15 degree angle is certainly quite possible.  I doubt I could hit anything doing this, but my dive bombing skills are lacking anyway.

By the way, after that release, I was able to very easily pull out of the dive.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline caddie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
One of the main reasons I joined AH almost a year ago was because of the upcoming CT. Sounded intriguing. I have also learned to love AHII as well. I agree we should not be left in the dark. Let us know...... I do feel that HT is to conservative when making decisions on graphics/eye candy/game play improvements. There are numerous games released that can run smoothly on older rigs that have great graphics engines. Of course I do not know the whole story, So there could be tons of inside info I am not aware of that would change my point of view. I hope an official word comes out at some point here soon.

Caddie

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2008, 11:35:59 AM »
15 degrees? LOL you can realese bombs flying inverted in any plane. My personal favorite is a long slow aileron roll in B26s whilst unloading vast ammounts of 100lb bombs on my own runway before finding someone silly enough to try and ho me.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
 One aspect of what I call the "romper room" atmosphere of the MA.  FWIW the "heavy bombers diving" stuff is definitely one of those things which has remained and has helped drive people who want more immersion away. 

So CT is dead.  That sucks. 

Anyone have any tips on where to play IL2 and what versions/mods etc...

Thanks and <S> ...  laters

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2008, 11:53:13 AM »
I'm not buying this 15 degree malarkey.  Bit insulting to ones intelligence if that's the official line.

I was forthcoming with what I was told ... and posting what I was told, was not meant for anyone to get pissy about what I was told.

I have a pretty good sense of when someone is trying to BS me, and I did not get the impression that what they told me was "malarkey" or trying to pull the wool over my eyes ... nor did I feel insulted ... it was a genuine response.

From the pics that you have posted, hopefully Pyro will see them (maybe you should email them to Pyro/HTC) and hopefully something can/will be done about it ... he seemed pretty open to it.

I grabbed their ear about the problem ... they responded that it would be looked into ... that is far better response than I have seen anywhere posted about this problem on the BBS ... so lets not take an aggressive stance, but rather a helpful and informing stance.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2008, 11:55:43 AM »
It is much harder to blow off a customer in person, as opposed to on a forum..............

What I find amusing, is the amount of folks waving goodbye, when there has been no official statement from the producers of the game.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2008, 11:58:28 AM »
It is much harder to blow off a customer in person, as opposed to on a forum..............

What I find amusing, is the amount of folks waving goodbye, when there has been no official statement from the producers of the game.

There's not going to be an official statement.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!