Author Topic: Finally, something to whine about!  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
Re: Finally, something to whine about!
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »
Well said DKFF49 !!

:aok
Phil/OPP7755

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2008, 02:09:58 PM »
dkff...    right, i watched the film too,  i wouldn't call that e-fighting in the sense.. it was more of a running BnZ as caldera was apparently trying to get to base, and was purely in a defensive mode, refusing to climb too far up the ropes.

this would be a more classic e-fighting, i think.  

http://www.speedyshare.com/619968645.html

temp vs niki starts at 1:47... had to kill a pony-b prior to that...  took me about 3 1/2 mins to finally pop the niki.  thankfully we were away from the main furball.

you'll see me working to gain some alt, while keeping the niki interested. yuo'll see me do a few high speed reverses, merge one turn and out, maintaining my speed.  

the next to last you'll notice i slow down a bit, testing the niki (around 4:50) and then after separating one final time, i re-merge and chop the throttle to get inside the niki (who wasn't expecting it) for the kill.  

the incoming F6F forced me to close the deal cuz i didn't want the sucker coming in and stealing it, lol.

I could easily have extended and alt'd on the niki, being in a temp, but.... i didn't want him to wander off back towards his buddies.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »
I only turned for base at the end after B.E. did the same. The base seen in the film is actually the bish v-base (i had to change direction so he didn't get a freebie ack kill).  I tried to run so he would come down and chase me. It was quite frustrating as i couldn"t climb up to fight him. I don't have a problem if he wants to fight that way. I only posted the film because it seemed quite like the flying he was complaining about in the start of this thread.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »
I only turned for base at the end after B.E. did the same. The base seen in the film is actually the bish v-base (i had to change direction so he didn't get a freebie ack kill).  I tried to run so he would come down and chase me. It was quite frustrating as i couldn"t climb up to fight him. I don't have a problem if he wants to fight that way. I only posted the film because it seemed quite like the flying he was complaining about in the start of this thread.

well, 11 mins is a tad.... long... to get a kill from an advantage.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
I'm giving 10-1 odds on Shane for the DA.  Any takers?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2008, 04:35:03 PM »
well, 11 mins is a tad.... long... to get a kill from an advantage.

8 minutes.  The rest is me flying away.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
8 minutes.  The rest is me flying away.

oh, right... and nobody died... i didn't watch it to the conclusion - my bad.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2008, 04:40:43 PM »
Zing
See Rule #4

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
I tried to run so he would come down and chase me. It was quite frustrating as i couldn"t climb up to fight him.

I blew away an La-7 one night in the K-4 doing the same thing although it didn't take quite so long.

Really, I never knew that using your climb/E advantage to keep an an enemy pinned down and turning was a "lame" way to fly.  I also thought that keeping him out of a guns solution/guns range was the wise thing to do.  I guess in the future I'm supposed to flat turn my A8 with Zekes?

And, as I said before, reversing on average every 40 seconds is nothing like running from 15K to 30K then circling a sector before the first reversal, which was scenario one in my OP.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2008, 04:50:44 PM »

Watch it from my perspective.  You'll notice that the reason I was there in the first place is that I blew away a B-24 before ever engageing Caldera.  Nobody died because Caldera did a good job evading each of my passes and couldn't get into guns range on his reversals.

In the end I flew away out of ammo, or at least out of cannons.  There was no reason to remain at that point.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »
Really, I never knew that using your climb/E advantage to keep an an enemy pinned down and turning was a "lame" way to fly.  I also thought that keeping him out of a guns solution/guns range was the wise thing to do.  I guess in the future I'm supposed to flat turn my A8 with Zekes?

When people complain about how you fly, it's a sign that you're doing something right.  I get complaints from time to time too when I have an energy advantage and don't lose it.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
Watch it from my perspective.  You'll notice that the reason I was there in the first place is that I blew away a B-24 before ever engageing Caldera.  Nobody died because Caldera did a good job evading each of my passes and couldn't get into guns range on his reversals.

In the end I flew away out of ammo, or at least out of cannons.  There was no reason to remain at that point.

i did.. u managed ur e extremely well, no one disputes that, but the overall flying was very cautious. did you watch the temp/niki film i posted?  I was setting him up in advance. you were like, "craps i missed, let me try again" ad infinitum when he refused to play the dope at the end of a rope.

also, i've found it fun and challenging at times to fly the other guy into the ground.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
i did.. u managed ur e extremely well, no one disputes that, but the overall flying was very cautious. did you watch the temp/niki film i posted?  I was setting him up in advance. you were like, "craps i missed, let me try again" ad infinitum

also, i've found it fun and challenging at times to fly the other guy into the ground.

Nope.  Didn't see the film yet.  At work.  I'll look at it this evening.

And yes, I'll admit I was a bit cautious but I didn't want to let Caldera just latch onto my six either.  That Ki held a significant turn advantage over me which is partially why I wasn't able to get a good shot on him.  IIRC I did score a hit at one point but likely with the 7.9mm's, not the 30mm which would have resulted in an entirely different perspective on the fight.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »
Allright, i watched the first 5 minutes of the film.  Here's my initial reaction:

Although baldeagl was flying conservative in so far as he was preserving his energy advantage, caldera was also far more concerned with flying defense than trying to even the fight.  It's not hard to dodge multiple bnz passes when you make no effort to equalize energy states.  In this case, caldera was chopping his throttle and doing neg g barrel rolls to throw off baldeagle's aim (taters are hard enough to hit with as it is).  That's no way to turn the tables.  If baldeagl decided to slow down and start stall fighting, no doubt then caldera would have become more aggressive with his more maneuverable aircraft.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
just to make sure we are all on the same page here.

I don;t believe that film was put up to say that baldeagle's fighting preference is "bad" or to say that caldera is better. or that either one is more agressive than the other. What it was put up for or so it seems to me is to show that the one thing that baldeagle started the thread about is the very same thing he does in his bouts but only to a slightly lesser degree.

Nobody here is trying to berade him just pointing out this one simple point and it sounds as though you have just said that you agree with that statement.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave