Author Topic: Finally, something to whine about!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Finally, something to whine about!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »

Bldeagl, i'm sure you are better than me. I make no claims that i am good at all.  But you kept trying to rope me in this fight.  I would call it timid flying for someone with your skill.

Why is it timid flying if he used his energy advantage to rope you?  Or is it because he forced you to fight his fight and not yours?  Or is calling his roping you timid flying just a way to sooth a battered ego because you fell for the rope and died?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 04:18:54 PM »
Let me ask you. Do you suppose if Baldy was flying a 109k or a tempest or something harder to fight in and it was an enemy spit16 that refused to engage him...would we still see this thread? Or would our friend Baldy infact be thankfull that the spit16 did not want to try and ruin his BnZ sortie?

hmmm
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
Why is it timid flying if he used his energy advantage to rope you?  Or is it because he forced you to fight his fight and not yours?  Or is calling his roping you timid flying just a way to sooth a battered ego because you fell for the rope and died?

ack-ack

Why don't you watch the film before you assume that i died?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 04:21:44 PM »
boom headshot
 :rofl
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »
Why don't you watch the film before you assume that i died?

Wow I was just getting ready to post the same thing.  :rofl :rofl

If it is any indicator there were only an estimated 6 passes in the eleven minutes and fifteen seconds of film. I call that pretty timid flying.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »
and now that hypocracy has been validated, we can all group hug and accept that everyone has a 'timid' sortie once in a while. The whole 'fly my way or the highway' routine we all are responsible for is a load of toejam.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
Damn.  Now i really want to see that film but I won't get a chance for another 3-4 hours.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »
i dont see why not, they dont seem to care that you waste work hours starting dramas on a game forum :p

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 04:51:18 PM »
Damn.  Now i really want to see that film but I won't get a chance for another 3-4 hours.
You were doing pretty much what you were whining about.
See Rule #4

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »
For my part, I have a hard enough time as it is killing 16s when I have an e advantage, let alone starting co-e or at a disadvantage.  When I do succeed it's often when my opponent is unskilled.  If I'm in a 109K, my one trump card is speed.  If I'm in a 109G-14, the speed advantage is almost gone, and if I'm in a 109G-6, the 16 can run me down and out turn me.  So forgive those of us who are not acm gods for running from 16s.  Maybe we'll stay and fight once we're good enough to kill a 16 from a co-e start, and once we've mastered that we'll move on to fighting them when they're on our 6.  For now, it's tiring to hear the most skilled pilots crow about how unmanly the rest of us are for running with a 16 on our 6, when their chances of success by fighting are realistic and ours approach zero.  You have to take these things in steps.  Setting up an amazing batfink overshoot for a killing snap shot comes after many other lessons and skills, and we may still be a long ways away from turning-the-tables-on-a-good-16-pilot lesson.  For now, I'm happy to work on killing 16s from a co-e start, without an obvious angles advantage for either side.  I find that to be an exhilarating challenge.  When I'm confident at that, I'll work on the amazing batfink overshoots. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2008, 05:09:48 PM »
  When I do succeed i  Setting up an amazing batfink overshoot for a killing snap shot comes after many other lessons and skills,

Yup, spixteens are very capable planes. I usually go for overshoot when one has E advantage.  Anecdotally, 16 pilots seem loathe to get off the throttle when they are on my 6 so making them over shoot is not that hard.  Spixteens don't seem to decelerate very well, either.  As opposed to a snap shot, one can often get saddled long enough to get a nice squirt in. Although sometimes I'm the hydrant, not the dog.  :aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
You got to have a huge difference in skill in favour of the 109 to beat the Spit16, for me, i tend to regroup at the tower allways after meeting with the Spit16 in my 109.

Yep I would agree with this.. A spit16 will easily be able to out fly a 109, even if the guy in 109 is a very good stick. He is still at the disadvantage at any fight with a spit16 that is close to co alt, even if the guy in the Spit16 is "average". Why not lose the training wheels and fly something that takes a little skill?

The 109 pilot really has to be a much much better pilot that the spit16 dweeb in a co alt fight, unless he just gets lucky. Besides that there are many other planes that are better for buff hunting. Out of any of the spit's the 16 is the one that gives me the hardest time. Simply put it's one of the  "Uber" planes of AH.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 05:17:22 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
Sounds to me like someone was trying to get their score up, the 'fair' way, if you even wanna call it that.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
  Setting up an amazing batfink overshoot for a killing snap shot comes after many other lessons and skills [snip]

Sincere thanks for the compliment sir, you made me smile wide! Credit where it is due, the move should be named after WldThng. Long ago i saw a film of him in a spitfire below literally 20 red guys and he pulled 'my' move on no less than 7 attacking enemy and killed them in 2 minutes.
 :eek:

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
  About every three months I get around to every plane just to keep in touch with their capabilities but the Spit's always been my preferred ride (Since i started with AW in '96).

This is a really good idea. A couple of nights ago I upped a 38l, F6F, and yak 9u for that reason.  Good thinking, IMHO.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve