Author Topic: Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!
« on: October 29, 2008, 02:46:23 AM »
I’ve been playing AH2 for over three years now and  I’ve always used a mouse, keyboard and just recently CH Pro Pedals to play. Now being an FPS gamer I’ve always felt comfortable using a mouse, not to mention that the views when using the number pad feel so natural to me since I‘ve been using them for so long.

I would say I’ve done rather well in AH2 to a certain degree. For example, after almost a year out from AH2 I’ve put in some game time this tour,  scoring a K/D ratio of around 8.0, a K/S ratio of around 3.0 and a hit ratio of  8%, which is normally around 13%. The only real problem I have is getting my controls stole when stall fighting, which happens to me rather a lot. My snap shot is rather poor also.

Now a lot of people can’t believe that I use mouse and keyboard to play AH2 and I don’t know why. (I’m starting to crack under the peer pressure) Is it because of immersion or does using a HOTAS give you super powers ? Lets face it, no matter what input you use there is no difference in how your plane can perform. (I’d like Skuzzy’s view here if that’s ok, just to be sure.)

I’m bringing my dilemma to the forums because I hate change, I mean it took me over 3 years to go from A,S,D keys to pedals for rudder input. I already have a Saitek X-52 which I’ve used for a couple of sorties, it’s sitting in the cupboard right now. I  felt awkward moving the stick around while using hat switches for views, I would end up spinning to the ground most of the time and throw my toys out of the pram then setup my good old mouse and keyboard again.

What I’m after is opinions from people who have moved form mouse to HOTAS or stick and keybaord, can you please tell me what the difference is. I kind of feel that I'm missing out.

Regards, Kazaa. <S>
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:54:59 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: Should I retire my mouse? Opinions needed please!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:04 AM »
Use whatever YOU feel comfy with Kazaa - wouldnt worry about peer pressure fella........

(gotta love the people who start yelling cos your using a mouse) and yeah, I cant believe some of the tricks you pull, but know its down to skill, and nothing else.

<S>

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:16:26 AM »
Kazaa, you need to get a joystick.  As for using the keyboard, that's fine!  Here's my setup:  CH Fighterstick which I would recommend you get, and I can help you map all the buttons if you would like.  I have views set on the joystick, but I mostly use the num pad still.  As for rudders, I use the keyboard(A,S,D).  You have attained your ratios from smart flying but you wont get anywhere near your potential until you get a joystick. 

Another thing, I used to have a crappy saitek joystick and I ordered this CH Fighterstick and when I first changed joystick, i hated the CH Fighterstick.  It felt so awkward and I couldn't hit a plane going straight.  I changed back to my saitek after using it for an hour.  Then I kept giving it extra chances again and again until eventually I said you know what, this stick is better than the Saitek.  The reason i tell you that is because moving to a joystick will be more awkward than me just simply changing joysticks lol. 

As for flying with a joystick and using the num pad, place your joystick directly to the right of your keyboard, right hand on joystick lfet hand on num pad obviously.  You can always have your left hand on your views and ur right hand on your controls that way.  That should feel relatively comfortable.  (Flaps will be mapped to joystick)

Anyways, that's my 2 cents, and if you decide to get the CH FIghterstick which really is the most durable most elite joystick on the market, I'll help you map it to a very efficient and logical manner :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:20:12 AM by grizz441 »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:24:45 AM »
To a degree yes I fly smart.You will not see me running into a horde on my own, with eyes closed and guns blazing.

All of my time this tour has been spent furballing it up, mainly fighting from a disadvantage.

Edit: Grizz, that sounds like a setup I could get use to, but what do you use for throttle ?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:29:57 AM by Kazaa »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:27:30 AM »
Yeah in a 1v1 when you start to stall and have to balance your plane more and more, I don't see how it is doable with the mouse.  Kazaa, you should pull out your saitek and have it installed and calibrated alongside your mouse, fly a couple joystick missions a night each night along iwth however many other mouse missions you wish to fly.  Just devote a couple jstick missions a night and give it some time.  You will definetely improve with it and maybe in a few weeks or months u might chuck the mouse.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:32:16 AM »
Kazaa, if you know some RL pilots who have small sporty aircraft like the RV's and such you could ask them for a little stick time to see how the action relates in the real world.
Other than that you could probably get a similar type of experience with the commercial introductory flights but those aircraft usually have yokes, which is fine if you fly bombers like the P38 and such.
It's well worth the effort and you'll likely find yourself an exciting new addiction to add to your life. A pilots' ticket also looks pretty flash on a CV under personal interests too. :aok
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 03:33:54 AM »
Throttle on the joystick, it's very easy to manage, it's on the left of the base and right next to the num pad.

I feel throttle dial on jstick is most efficient way to control throttle and would highly recommend it but u could still use the keys for throttle and a joystick at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:35:37 AM by grizz441 »

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 03:48:06 AM »
My original CH flightstick had a throttle mounted on the stick, as did my old sidewinder and logicrap stick.
After using the X52 throttle I'd have a hard time going back.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 04:01:37 AM »
Grizz,

I was thinking about adding a scroll wheel to my keyboard, just about where my thumb rests. That way I don't have to lift my hand from my keyboard to reach the CH fighter stick's throttle. I'm guessing you have to do that unless you have both your stick and keyboard really, really  close together and have big hands? :D

I would have to read up on how to do so though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:03:13 AM by Kazaa »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:53 AM »
Grizz,

I was thinking about adding a scroll wheel to my keyboard, just about where my thumb rests. That way I don't have to lift my hand from my keyboard to reach the CH fighter stick's throttle. I'm guessing you have to do that unless you have both your stick and keyboard really, really  close together and have big hands? :D

I would have to read up on how to do so though.

my Joystick and Keyboard are right against eachother.  The joystick throttle and num pads is aproximately 2-3 inches apart.  I lift off the num pad and onto the throttle and back to num pad very quickly.  It takes a little practice but it isn't that difficult.  Juggling rudders on A S D is more difficult but you already have pedals.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:28:45 AM »
Truly amazing that you've spent the last 3 years here without using a joy stick Kazaa  :aok

In a recent post i had written something like anyone who uses a mouse will never be as good as someone who uses a mouse. Seems i was wrong about that.  :rolleyes:     I suppose if you put enough time into anything you can become very good using only what you have or are used to.
Not sure why you would be under any peer pressure to change,especially from your own squad mates if so. Seeing that you are so good at using your currant set up, I wouldn't change a thing. It musta took a long time to master that mouse, starting fresh with a stick might end up causing you some frustration.

You Rock Kazaa  :rock   :salute

Turns out there are quite a few mouse users. Nilsen is another good player that comes to mind.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 05:49:34 AM »
I've just got a x52 and now my flying is different,before wit the throttle on the joystick i dint bother with it that much in dog fights as i found it quite awkward,but now with a separate throttle its getting easier to use.

I've tried a mouse  on my laptop when using the game for skinning shots and boy did that suck.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »

Not sure why you would be under any peer pressure to change,especially from your own squad mates if so. Seeing that you are so good at using your currant set up, I wouldn't change a thing. It musta took a long time to master that mouse, starting fresh with a stick might end up causing you some frustration.

He did say his abilities are hindered while stall fighting and snap shooting, which IMO are incredibly important factors in advanced dog fights.  Changing to a joystick will cause frustration but I mean cmon, if you are that good with a mouse which no has ever been able to do like you, imagine how good you will be with a joystick when you get used to it.  A mouse has limits, which you have clearly taken your game to the high points of those limits, but a joystick has higher limits which you need to get to!  :salute

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »
I started with a mouse years and years and years ago...

I switched to a HOTAS for the very reasons you stated, I could not quite keep control of a fighter under some circumstances. LOL... heck, even with the HOTAS there are times I lose control but they are less frequent.

The main thing is to take the time to set it up the way YOU like it. Then the time to adjust to the change. Once adjusted I think you'd be happy with the change.

Any change takes time to adjust to. I went from an X45 stick to a CH Fighterstick. That took a while to adjust to. Then I tested a "Beta" stick for someone (OH GEEZ that reminds me, I need to send it back yet) and that threw me off. And then when I went back to my stock CH stick I had to readjust again.

Either way, fly with what you are comfortable with and feel you are performing your best with. Just take the time needed to adjust to any changes. Don't make a judgement in one week. Give it a few months.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 06:16:18 AM »
I fly with the mouse too Kazaa and i have no trouble with it. Not having to clutter my desk (and below it) with sticks, throttles and pedals and yet more usb hubs is an added bonus. If you feel comfortable without it then save yourself the hassle of all that kit.