Author Topic: improve your SA in a few clicks  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: improve your SA in a few clicks
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »
I had to change my icon colours after AH2 got it's textures overhauled. I could barely make out the red icon below the horizon.

I have White for Friendly, Yellow for Enemy and Pink for Squadies.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 02:40:53 AM »
Changing colors in itself? No.
Making them certain colors to gain an "advantage" in SA. Yeah, kinda. Imo.

btw...you people spell "color" wrong. :P :P  :D

maybe so, but telling you what HUE i use levels the playing field?  :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 12:09:58 PM »
maybe so, but telling you what HUE i use levels the playing field?  :D

What are the icons for if not to aid in SA?  Identifying friend from foe, plane types, relative speed, coming vs going, yada, yada, yada.

Since we don't all see color the same, and since we're not all using identical equipment, having everyone use the same color icons could give someone an unfair advantage...

Tweaking how you see what is shown to you already so that you can easily and quickly understand it sure doesn't seem a problem to me, especially since the option isn't withheld from anyone.  How about adjusting the size of the icons themselves?  Does the fact that I make mine smaller give someone else an unfair advantage over me?  Could I use that as a legitimate excuse if I got beat?

Could you imagine the unfair advantage I'd have if I was able to tweak any old view I wanted to optimize it?  What if I could shift my head left/right, up/down, forward/back and actually SAVE it that way?  How cheesy would that be?  What if I could adjust the brightness or contrast of my monitor?  Eeegads!

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »
I've changed my colors, but I need more help than that.  Mtnman, you must be doing some sort of cheating since you shot me down like a trainer taking out a newbie.  Oh, wait, nevermind.   :aok
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »

He's taking it further and essentially disabling friendly icons. Yeah. I said it sounded even more gamey than icons alone. Like adjusting engine sounds. How many pages did that thread go to? Why is one any different than the other?

Be sarcastic.
Do whatever you want with your settings.
I'll still spank you with my defaults.

and I still spell it "color" <g>
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:15:36 PM by Scotch »
-AoM-

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 01:11:13 PM »
I have my squad icons as yellowish and wingman as blue.  The rest are default.  It's certianly a valid tip to point out that icon colors can be adjusted.  How much is up to the individual player.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 03:24:02 PM »
I have my squad icons as yellowish and wingman as blue.  The rest are default.  It's certianly a valid tip to point out that icon colors can be adjusted.  How much is up to the individual player.

i had no clue ou could single out your wingman?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 03:25:20 PM »
.wingman GameID
to mark the selected friendly as your wingman

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »
 Interesting Batty:

So does this explain that deadly accuracy you posses?? :devil

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
Using a 64mb vidcard laptop it does help a little with the 256 textures 800X600 hud clutter. Only when looking up at the sky. If that counts the same as completely removing engine sounds its a surprise to me.

scotch ya say it wont make me win 1 on 1 and yes i agree. It might only help a little in a multi plane situations. Alot of my duels i find myself turning icons off as there is no need for them, is that a gamey advantage?

Morf, i think the quad 20mm in the nose explains most of that :)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »
I'm colorblind as heck and have adjusted the color of the icons to suit my vision.

If adjusting the color of the icons to compensate for vision deficiencies is "gamey (sp?)" then I am guilty of being such.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 07:32:27 AM »
I'm colorblind as heck and have adjusted the color of the icons to suit my vision.

If adjusting the color of the icons to compensate for vision deficiencies is "gamey (sp?)" then I am guilty of being such.
i don't think it's gamey. there's people like you, that're color blind. there's older guys that can't see the monitor too well. then there;s the peop,e that can't afford a BIG or fancy monitor, so they just fly on a little old crt monitor.

it lets us all make up for the lack of depth perception too. at least that's part of my problem in the game. i have trouble judging distance, so i depend heavily on being able to read the icons as i merge.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
Why is everybody calling this a gamy idea, it's hindering if anything.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »
It's not gamey but there are some who feel if your using something that is provided or open to you that they are not then it is gamey.

There are a few 's here on AH. Don't pay to much attn. to them and make the game as easy to see and play as possible.

EDIT:  I don't know if it's been mentioned but changing your resolution can also help you to see targets more clearly.It was a while back but at one time i was using a res that made all icons and planes seem very small. I flipped through a few that were available to me until I found one that not only increased the size of the planes but my frame rates as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 10:45:48 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 12:12:41 PM »
Tool, was that a lower or higher resolution than you had been using?
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP