Author Topic: improve your SA in a few clicks  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Re: improve your SA in a few clicks
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
Either I wasn't clear enough or you're all just dumb. Probably both.
Adjusting the colors so that you can see better is fine. I didn't say otherwise.

What I said was kind of gamey, and on the same level as the engine sounds, is using the color view to purposely remove friendly icons so that enemy icons are the only ones showing up. This gives you an "advantage" of having less clutter to focus on or at least was the initial intention. Even then the "advantage" is pretty minuscule, just like adjusting engine sounds. Both of which I see as gamey substitutes for spending time to get better.
-AoM-

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 03:37:51 PM »
Adjusting the colors so that you can see better is fine. I didn't say otherwise.

What I said was kind of gamey, and on the same level as the engine sounds, is using the color view to purposely remove friendly icons so that enemy icons are the only ones showing up. This gives you an "advantage" of having less clutter to focus on or at least was the initial intention. Even then the "advantage" is pretty minuscule, just like adjusting engine sounds. Both of which I see as gamey substitutes for spending time to get better.

BatfinkV opened this topic with adjusting size and color of icons, to make some more visible, and some less visible.

"Go into the game options and find the GUI menu(i think) somewhere there you can change the colours and size of icons. change the enemy icons to a darker shade of red and if you like set to size 12, to lose the 'neon' feel. That's just a personal pref.
 Here is the trick for your SA, turn the friendly icons to the same blue as the sky. This way friendlies above you will show up faintly against cloud or just be a dot. All you will see is the red guys above you. Looking down you will see friendlies against the darker land. If you ever need to ID a friendly above you just check the radio list or send them a check six and watch the text buffer.

Try it, see what you think. I suspect you could find yourself being hit by an unseen high enemy alot less.

S!"

You responded with a vague blanket statement "Meh...kinda on the same line as adjusting sounds..."  which could have been, and was, interpreted in different ways. 

To then resort to name calling because your ineffectual communication attempt wasn't clearly understood "Either I wasn't clear enough or you're all just dumb", looks kind of dumb, doesn't it?  It looks like your trying to shift the blame for the confusion onto others, with an attack on their intellect as camouflage.  Just my opinion...  Call me dumb if you want...

Personally, I disagree with the idea that lowering visibility of friendly icons is an advantage.  I can often see the "dot", while an icon is obscured by terrain or sun, or whatever.  Without the friendly icon, is that "dot" a nearby friendly? Or an approaching enemy still just out of icon range?

Beyond that, I get loads of SA info from friendly icons.  It tells me who's nearby, what they're in, and since I recognize many, it even gives me a rough idea of skill level and "fight style".  A quick glance at Scotch last night told me he was in a P51.  It also told me that he probably didn't need help with his opponent, and that my "help" probably wouldn't be welcome, regardless of the outcome of his fight.  It also told me I probably didn't need to worry about his opponent surprising me from behind in a few minutes, and when I entered my own fight I figured it was likely Scotch wouldn't jump in with me, and would let me finish my 1v1 on my own.  With his skill level, I can probably count on his SA skills alerting him of of other bad guys, and can probably rely on him to give  a holler if he sees someone he thinks I should know about.  I'd feel pretty comfortable with a "several on two" scenario if one arose.

I generally don't look to be "saved" that often, and I don't do much rescuing myself.   But if I was, knowing who I'm flying with, and what they're in is valuable information.  If I'm "in trouble" with my F4U, whether my rescuer is in a pony, zero, or whatever, may dictate what I do to "help my helper".  Taking my opponent in a high speed tailchase won't let the friendly in the N1K help me.  Turning my opponent tightly and directly under my "savior" probably won't work if my "savior" is in a Pony or Tempest.  The same works the opposite way.  When I'm "saving" someone, I'll be checking his icon to see what he's in, so I know what type of evasives to expect from him.

Honestly, I think reducing visibility of friendly icons (however it was done) would handicap me greatly, as would anything that reduced my overall SA.  But what doesn't work for me may still work for others.  And I don't see it as gamey to let them make adjustments that probably won't effect the outcome much, if at all.  Personally, I reduce the size of all my icons, but still need them to be legible.  And I generally fly in Shift-F2 mode, so many GV icons aren't visible at all, simply because I get screen stutters otherwise.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »

I don't see how green friendly icons could keep one from spotting red enemy icons in the first place, unless you have red-green colorblindness.

Honestly, I don't see how it helps Bat much or why anyone would object to it.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 12:22:40 AM »
It helps him to see the enemy icons better when he's spinning like a Quaker in that damnable Mossie.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 03:40:20 AM »
 :aok  :lol
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 10:44:01 AM »
I don't see how green friendly icons could keep one from spotting red enemy icons in the first place, unless you have red-green colorblindness.

Honestly, I don't see how it helps Bat much or why anyone would object to it.

it could possibly slow down his puter.......i know in big furballs, i sometimes get that "stutter"
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
If gamey bugs you, turn off all icons and don't even think about opening up the map. As far as I can remember, WWII fighter aircraft dint have enemy detecting aircraft radar if at all.

Offline McDeath

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »

That is offensive and ridiculous. I changed my colours (spelled "your" way) to suit the map in the DGS Scenario, the same color combination works in MA also, as I dislike the "neon" scheme.

My wingy ( is it gamey to c call a wingman a wingy?) is a shade of purple and he never dies. All my squaddies are deep blue and my country is black. The default colors (hehe, my language) did not suit me.

<S>
flying as                     
Voudou  III/JG11 BOG
71Sqn./USMC
When we are done with you, you are going to wish your Daddy pulled out early!
"Then throw caution to the wind, buy a one way ticket to furball city and pop

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
<Switches to CM Text>

It's been awhile since I've been forced to request a visit to the Help & Training board from Skuzzy.  Let's keep it that way.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 01:32:37 PM »

Morf, i think the quad 20mm in the nose explains most of that :)
[/quote]

Shhhh it's quad 303's... if they hear those rumours your spreading it might be perked...

a bomber with 4 20's... blasphemy..... :lol

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »
its pure murder i tell ya, nothing but cold blooded murder  :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 03:12:49 PM »
its pure murder i tell ya, nothing but cold blooded murder  :D

check ur pm's