Author Topic: Pilot modeling- effect on realism  (Read 1769 times)

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
Re: Pilot modeling- effect on realism
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 06:16:23 PM »
icons makes life too easy
having a neon sign ontop of your plane makes sneaks so much harder

60% of all successful kills where when the pilot never saw his enemy IRL

In another competing game they have low icon ranges (under d10 for enemy or so depending on scenario, and only few or no range icons) for scenarios.

be nice if HTC can make it possible for CMs to be able to turn all icons off for like scenarios, FSO, snapshots SEC, etc it would be awesome
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 06:19:38 PM »
I'd LOVE to have my auto-blowback/drop flaps. Imagine the whines tho from people who already don't understand the F4U's flap modelling. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Dream Child

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »
On the other hand, in real life, most real pilots would have a tough time pulling 4 or 5 G's in the real planes. I think the P-51 takes about 50 pounds on the stick per extra G, so a 5 G turn would take about 200 pounds of pressure on the stick. Try doing that maneuver for a few second and you will quickly run out of ability to get even a couple G's out of your plane, unless you're in real good shape.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
The flaps on the F4U (once deployed) should blow back up as airspeed increases, and return to their down position as airspeed decreases.  Would I find it useful to have my flaps blow up like that, and then return to the down position as I slowed?  Sure!  In that respect, an argument could be made that the flaps on the F4U are UNDER-modeled.

Yes, several other airplanes in WWII had that feature as well. (N1K?)

With our already reduced pilot workload, I'm not so sure that modeling that is necessary, but it would be neat from a realism standpoint.

MtnMan

i was only asking about the auto flaps out of curiousity. the only really bad thing about flaps right now, as modeled, is the fact that they retract automaticlly. i don't like that. i prefer to do it myself.....and if i forget....well, then i guess i'd suffer the failure, as they break, right?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 10:21:04 PM »
It should happen only if the historical aircraft allowed it. If they didn't then forget to retract your flaps at your own risk. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 10:46:59 PM »

Last night at work I weighed my head...

MtnMan

I can't believe I'm the first to say it:  "PROVE IT!" 

Post the pics of your head on a scale!!!   :rofl

I giggled through two pages of replies picturing your head on a scale at work.  For gawd's sake, what the heck did your coworkers say?  The usual?  "What?  Him?  No problem, he'll stop when his break is over."

Other than that, your post was insightful, original, and thought-provoking.  Great stuff.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline TheMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »

I giggled through two pages of replies picturing your head on a scale at work.  For gawd's sake, what the heck did your coworkers say?  The usual?  "What?  Him?  No problem, he'll stop when his break is over."

Other than that, your post was insightful, original, and thought-provoking.  Great stuff.

HONK!
Gooss
Ahhhahahaha .... Man .... now theres a good since of humor.

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 12:06:02 AM »
that is a good point :aok
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 12:33:07 AM »

HONK!
Gooss

What, you think it's odd to weigh your head/neck, and arm at work?

BTW mtnman was it your left or right arm.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »
Would be nice if this was implemented, however I don't think it will be.

Fears of running customers away...

I'm anal retentive about realism but a lot of people aren't.

There are a lot of things not realistic in this game. lets start out with....it's a game.

The fight models are not realistic. Many of them are either over modeled or under modeled to make for a more even playing field. At one time they may have been closer to the real thing but complainers have changed that.

How many stage flaps does a real spit have?

How fast can a f6 go in level flight?

Why is that when you pull just slightly back on the stick in a 51 do the rounds fall like they were cannon being fired at 2 G? It's not that way when using other 50's in different planes.

If your plane's engine was on fire how long could you stay in a fight..1 more kill?    2?

How many planes had rear view mirrors?

Would a tank shell, bomb or rocket really ricochet off a tank or cv?

If you walked over to a CV window could you look up or behind you?

Can B26's really go 440 miles an hour in a dive without breaking their wings off?

Now if your talking about being as real as possible with the plane skins.. I think you have the right game   :)  God forbid a non real one should enter the game like the black P38 skin did awhile back.

Just my 2 cents and I love the game the way it almost is
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:06:53 AM by A8TOOL »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 01:46:32 AM »

There are a lot of things not realistic in this game. lets start out with....it's a game.
....How many stage flaps does a real spit have?

Umm 1, just like in AH. You're just joking right, not attempting to humiliate yourself in public?

As for you other realism dweebs, I'm prepared to hire myself out to aid in your realistic AH experience. I'll happily spray WD40 in your eyes and bring my own large calibre pistol to recreate those 'special' moments.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 02:08:00 AM »

HONK!
Gooss

Hehe, it's about time someone picked up on that!  I was purposely vague to see if I'd get a response, lol!  We have a scale at work mounted in a pit so it's flush with the floor, used to weigh 55 gallon barrels on carts.  I just tossed a sheet of cardboard on it (the scale had ink on it) and layed down so I could use the scale like a pillow...  One of my co-workers was giving me an odd look, so I asked him if he'd read off the weight for me.  He did, and was still giving me a quizical look, so I slid over and weighed my right arm...

He says "Ok, I should know better than to ask this from you of all people, but, WTF?"  I said "Nothing much, just curious what shipping is going to cost..."  and left it at that.  Prior to that, at our shift safety meeting, statistics were brought up regarding the number of murders committed at the workplace each year.  I figured that was an easier explanation than that I was trying to figure something out about a game...

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 03:48:11 AM »
we pretend to fl;y WWII planes having a FBW system, JHMCS, Link 16 real-time info and HOTAS environment and a fly model that forgives a lot of mistakes.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 05:24:50 AM »

The fight models are not realistic. Many of them are either over modeled or under modeled to make for a more even playing field. At one time they may have been closer to the real thing but complainers have changed that.
Examples pls or this is just so much hyperbole.

How many stage flaps does a real spit have?
2, up or down...just like in the game. However do we use them realistically is another question.

How fast can a f6 go in level flight?
To my understanding it is modeled with the pitot tube error.

Why is that when you pull just slightly back on the stick in a 51 do the rounds fall like they were cannon being fired at 2 G? It's not that way when using other 50's in different planes.
Relevancy... how fast you are going relates to how stick movement needed to pull excess g. See mustangs usually like to stay fast.

If your plane's engine was on fire how long could you stay in a fight..1 more kill?    2?
I've heard that some pilots have died because of failure to get the hell out.

How many planes had rear view mirrors?
Many, and I've heard tell due to vibration they were all but useless. If you see it in the mirror too late.

Would a tank shell, bomb or rocket really ricochet off a tank or cv?
Why do you think they try and make the armor so thick?

If you walked over to a CV window could you look up or behind you?
Point?

Can B26's really go 440 miles an hour in a dive without breaking their wings off?
I've heard stories of B26s using a shallow dive to escape pursuers that would have caught them in lvl flight. 

Now if your talking about being as real as possible with the plane skins.. I think you have the right game   :)  God forbid a non real one should enter the game like the black P38 skin did awhile back.
Zomg 1 slipped through...the sky is falling.

Just my 2 cents and I love the game the way it almost is

While I agree on the premise the game is not perfect. There are much better things to pick at.
Flaps auto retracting/deploying if so equipped.
Perked ords.... just how often did American fighters carry 1000 lb bombs?
Looopty loop drones still staying in formation.

ect ect ect.
See Rule #4

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 05:42:32 AM »
Gawd Tool.
It's not pretty but here goes.

How many stage flaps does a real spit have? Two, up and down

How fast can a f6 go in level flight? 611 kph-380mph-330kts

Why is that when you pull just slightly back on the stick in a 51 do the rounds fall like they were cannon being fired at 2 G? It's not that way when using other 50's in different planes. It's not the rounds falling but the plane moving away from the vector in which the rounds are travelling. I does happen in all aircraft under the conditions you describe.

If your plane's engine was on fire how long could you stay in a fight..1 more kill?    2? IIRC in AH it's not the engine on fire but the fuel in the aircraft. The duration of the fire IRL is determinate of many factors such as quantity of fuel, type of material surrounding the structure, the strength of the structure and speed of the aircraft. In AH it's difficult to model all of these factors into a workable system so we get a pre determined time to failure of the burning component. If it's burning and still shooting keep firing at it. It will die.

How many planes had rear view mirrors? Many, but HT has already told us that to model mirrors into the game would be ineffective for most players and an FR killer for the rest. Not going to happen anytime soon.

Would a tank shell, bomb or rocket really ricochet off a tank or cv? Yes. It happened many times and continues to happen today. It has been well documented on paper and on film.

If you walked over to a CV window could you look up or behind you? Probably. All of the navy vessels I've been on have transparent windows.

Can B26's really go 440 miles an hour in a dive without breaking their wings off? The B26 was noted for it's excellent diving speed. One dive was clocked at a true speed of 560 mph, though indicated air speed was closer to 400

Now if your talking about being as real as possible with the plane skins.. I think you have the right game   :)  God forbid a non real one should enter the game like the black P38 skin did awhile back. I really cannot comment. The black '38 was one of my favourite skins for it when I had occasion to fly a light bomber. I didn't have any idea that it wasn't an authenticated skin.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder