Author Topic: Why overshooting is to be avoided.  (Read 2641 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why overshooting is to be avoided.
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2008, 05:17:35 PM »
Widewing,

No problem, on the large field idea in the TA.

As you offered Yak-9Ts it is.

1. 25% Fuel

2. Taters only MG hit counts for nothing.

3. No F3 views or any other TA training aids.

Otherwise as descirbed from takeoff and within horizontal boundaries of the airfield. What is it most hit's with the 37mm wins? Auger counts as a kill or reset?

After that we can do DA if time persists, you fly what ever you like and I'll continue with the Yak-9T normal DA rules but you have to destroy the other aircraft to claim a win, damaged doesn't count.

Post the films in a new thread afterwards others can decide for themselves.

Again time differences, I should be available from this Thursday evening your time through the weekend.

<S>...-Gixer

Excellent!

I don't know why you discount MG hits, I've gotten kills with the -9Ts one MG. However, it doesn't matter either way.

I should be available on Friday evening (not a training night). I'm sure you'll have fun, these types of fights are a hoot.

I'll PM you when I know precisely as to when I'll be in the TA Friday evening.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2008, 05:52:46 PM »
While we are on the topic of duels:
I'm not in the DA very often and have a question: is a front quarter shot (which the other will perceive as a HO, even if i have few degrees advantage and can shoot earlier) fair game in duels?
I'm talking after the initial merge.

depends....  but it's not verboten.  mostly the shot would be held *if* the two duelers are friendly and want to make it more challenging.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2008, 07:51:37 PM »
Excellent!

I don't know why you discount MG hits, I've gotten kills with the -9Ts one MG. However, it doesn't matter either way.

My regards,

Widewing

I discount the MG simply because there is no skill hitting with it compared to the 37mm and therefore the MG isn't any sort of test. Yes we can all hit/kill with the single MG.  Unlike skill required hit/% with the tater.

If you can don't even have it mapped, as I don't. Not there is any mistaking the difference of the hit sprite between the two.

Yes I'm looking forward to it too, especially if going into this you actually believe in the BS you've been trying to spread and discredit me with.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
Lots of grey area there Leitwolf... two general rules apply though.  If the opponet clearly can't get his nose up to make it a true headon (both planes in the other's recticule) then it is a fair shot.  The other if both planes are nose to nose (after first merge) and one breaks early to try to gain an angle.  In this case if he shows you his belly go ahead and blast it off. 

Again it's fairly grey as when friends duel they'll usually let the small stuff slide and keep the fight going for the sake of the fight.  Now if I were fighting Dedalos I'd open up a can of souvlaki on him any chance I got.  Maybe throw some turkish falafel in there as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:56:29 PM by Stang »

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
I discount the MG simply because there is no skill hitting with it compared to the 37mm and therefore the MG isn't any sort of test. Yes we can all hit/kill with the single MG.  Unlike skill required hit/% with the tater.

If you can don't even have it mapped, as I don't. Not there is any mistaking the difference of the hit sprite between the two.

Yes I'm looking forward to it too, especially if going into this you actually believe in the BS you've been trying to spread and discredit me with.

<S>...-Gixer
Well if he's saddled up on you long enough to gnaw you wings off with the mg I think we know who won, lol.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
Well?   What happened?
See Rule #4

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2008, 03:55:31 PM »
Well?   What happened?

Gixer took his ball and went home?

:noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »
I was helping to beat back a major GV raid. I was up an A-20 and had been dodging P-51s for a few minutes. I was missing an aileron courtesy of Wirblewind. While I was working over a Panzer in the town, a P-51D comes in and makes a rather badly managed attack. This results in a classic overshoot and the resulting consequences. A-20s are tough birds and you won't do much harm to them scattering just a few hits.

http://home.att.net/~historyworld/Classic-Overshoot.ahf

targets of oppertunity always taste good, nice work!

I will meet your careless p51 overshoots quick thinking A20 and raise you by one front page top ranked player in P38 overshoots furballing B26  :t

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/B26furballing.ahf

S!
bat
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »
Gixer took his ball and went home?

:noid

Coordinating across the planet is a dilemma. We expect to get together by next weekend (11/14 or 11/15). It didn't work out this weekend. I PM'd Gixer saying I would be free after 9 PM Saturday. I went to the TA at 8:45 and waited till 9:45. I then logged into the two LW MAs and the DA. No Gixer. I then returned to the TA. Again, not there. So I went to the MA for an hour. Gixer arrived around 11 PM, but I was about to log as I had to be on the road at 5:30 AM to drive to JFK airport (NYC) to pick up family arriving at 7:30 Am. I returned home about 20 minutes ago.

Anyway, we are going to reschedule for next weekend. Gixer will pick a specific time that works for him, rather than the somewhat vague "after 9 PM".

Meanwhile, having not flown the Yak-9T in a while, I've been tuning up dueling veterans in Spit16s and LaLas. Also, I've been doing little MA flying in it as well. I discovered a couple of FM quirks that can be exploited that I've never seen anyone else use. No one stall fights in Yaks due to a three-axis instability at low speed (below 120 mph). However, I found that this instability can be managed and utilized to do some very interesting things. Inasmuch as the Yak-9T cannot generate more than 200 mph from takeoff within the confines of the field, these fights will be at low-speed with a fighter that accelerates poorly and will be a handful with flaps out.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »
targets of oppertunity always taste good, nice work!

I will meet your careless p51 overshoots quick thinking A20 and raise you by one front page top ranked player in P38 overshoots furballing B26  :t

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/B26furballing.ahf

S!
bat

I'll fold...   :)

I'll bet Jackraid was banging his head on his desk over that one. Excellent flying.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2008, 10:12:05 AM »
Gixer is a decent stick.  He and I got into an extended stall fight one night.  He was in his 9T, I was in a XVI.  I was surprised at how well he managed the 9T and he did finally win.  I don't remember if it was with a shot or if I augered though (I hate that XVI departure at low speeds).  Either way it was a good fight.

I'd still put my money on WW having fought them both though.  It should be fun for both of you.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
I'll fold...   :)

I'll bet Jackraid was banging his head on his desk over that one. Excellent flying.

ty, doubt he would fall for that one again though.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline FireDragon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2008, 11:34:27 AM »
Another clueless post, yet I think this might be the majority opionion of people in game.  How sad is that?

Why don't u expand on that Stang how is the post clueless......

Sonicblu pointed out that the rules are only as good as the ethics or respect of the person......The rules for them are nothing more than a trick to lock u in a box while flying..... JUST LIKE  50% fuel trick.... theirs the alt cap trick... ord trick......and many others......

The rules at that point only shine a light on the others character....and for the fight are worthless....

Murdrs  point if u have respect for the other pilot you need less rules...

When I duel i don't need rules  just a pilot with  a little respect..... It not something you can teach in here they either have it or don't.....

<S>

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2008, 12:47:55 PM »
Basic Rules are there to set the ethics as much as they can be set. Additional rules may be set to prevent other "behaviors".

One example is to shoot out much of the ammo to lighten the airplane. Another is to climb above the hard ceiling and dive to the agreed to altitude for the E advantage. Some guys will want to start a lead turn prior to the actual physical merge. If you suspect this may be the case, be specific on the rules prior to the fight. I've dueled guys who thought nothing of cheating. More often, I've dueled guys for whom cheating was never even a thought.

When two guys have great respect for each other and value fairness above winning, no rules are required as neither will attempt to gain an advantage outside the scope of fair competition.

I've fought many duels where my opponent pulled off to reset a merge realizing he had an advantage. I do the same, although I really don't mind starting at a disadvantage under certain circumstances with certain individuals. If I'm dueling a guy who is in the learning process, I'll give the advantage just to see what he does with it.

Most guys are honorable, a few are not. Film usually exposes these few to public scrutiny.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing