Author Topic: Please Explain.......  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: Please Explain.......
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »
So no matter what the percentage is, the increase in increments will always start with:  "3.7" the next would be "8.4" next "13.5"   "??.?"    "??.?"     "??.?"  to a max of 29?

If so, what would be the missing values between 13.5 and 29?
3.7   8.4   13.5   ??.?      ??.?     ??.?     29

If not, I would assume that it asssigns a different numerical value?  Is this correct?

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 08:56:11 PM »
So no matter what the percentage is, the increase in increments will always start with:  "3.7" the next would be "8.4" next "13.5"   "??.?"    "??.?"     "??.?"  to a max of 29?

If not, I would assume that it asssigns a different numerical value?  Is this correct?

No no no.  Murdr already spelled it out for you.  I'm not sure where you've gone amiss in your logic.  You aren't getting it.  Quoting Murdr above:

For every 1% point over 10% [threshold], the ENY Limt raises by about 1.59

1) ENY kicks in when your countries population is 10% greater than the lowest country's population.
2) At this threshold for every 1% population increase above the lowest country's population ENY value gets increased by 1.59

e.g. your country is at 11% greater than the lowest country's population, ENY would be 1.59, at 12% greater, ENY would be 1.59+1.59= 3.18, at 13% greater, ENY would be 1.59+1.59+1.59=4.77, etc.

So you want to figure out what the % difference results in a 3.7 ENY?  Do the math backwards.  1%/1.59 = x%/3.7.  x=2.3%.  Add this back to 10%.  10%+2.3% = 12.3%.

You can check this against the numbers posted in your pic.  Rooks = 40.8%.  Bishops = 28.5%.  Rooks% - Bishop% = 40.8 - 28.5 = 12.3% resulting in a 3.7 ENY.

EDIT:
You can also apply this to your 2nd pic as a check.  Rooks= 37.3%.  Knights= 22%.  Rooks%-Knights%= 37.3-22 = 15.3%.  15.3%-10% = 5.3%.  5.3%*1.59= voila 8.4 ENY for the Rooks just like the pic shows.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:04:23 PM by dtango »
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 10:04:54 PM »
Just to expand on dtango's reply.  It doesn't go in increments per se.  For every 0.1 point over a 10.0 point advantage, the ENY limit will rise a little bit more.  That's why I said you can figure out any hypothetical with this graph.

Lets try a hypothetical...
Country    %total
Bishop        25.0%
Knight        49.0%
Rook          26.0%

So knights have a 24 point advantage on bishop.  Find where the 24 vertical line intercects the green line.  Read where that is on left side scale.  It reads at just over a 22 ENY limit.
Rooks have a 1 point advantage on bishop.  On the graph the green line is at 0 so there's no ENY limit.

OR

You can used the formula I posted
For every 1% point over 10% [threshold], the ENY Limt raises by about 1.59
24 point - 10 = 14 points    (14*1.59)= 22.3 ENY limit.

The numbers by the green line on the graph are just the data points I happened to use to generate the line plot.  If I had known they would be a confusing issue I'd have removed them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:14:28 PM by Murdr »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »

What Murdr and dtango said.

The missing values are any values you want along the trend line.  3.7   8.4   13.5 are simply values from a real world example (yours) that allow you to plot the line, which Murdr has done for you.

The trend analysis formula I posted simply lets you calculate what one value is based on the other without having to create a graph, but now you have one.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
Thank you for your patience in explaining this in detail, I am sure that for the majority of people that have followed along have a much better grasp of how dynamic this process is.

From most of what I seen in previous posts about explanations of how this worked,  they just were not as informative as this one has been for me., I feel like I have a good understanding now of how it works and how it is applied and I am sure others would agree.

Thanks again for your time.   :salute

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »
 :rolleyes:
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »

What does this mean, it looks like a attempt to be a sarcastic about a perfectly legitimate questions and on the intelligent and informational response's as well. 

Do us all favor do not post if you can't be helpful.
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2008, 12:06:08 AM »
What does this mean, it looks like a attempt to be a sarcastic about a perfectly legitimate questions and on the intelligent and informational response's as well. 

Do us all favor do not post if you can't be helpful.

Just wondered how many pictures they would have to draw for the unappreciative twit.

Do me a favor & don't post anything if you can't be helpfull either  :rock

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:27 AM »
Just wondered how many pictures they would have to draw for the unappreciative twit.

I don't figure how you get "unappreciative twit" out of this thread.  Looks to me he got a lot out of it, and I think it was great of Murdr BaldEagl, and others for taking their time explaining it.  A big  :salute to them.  Then again I read the entire thread...and then again here you come TROLLING along.

But then again that's my opinion,

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 10:03:15 AM »
I think Murdr & others went way above & beyond the call on this one & was met with snide remarks & disrespect for all of his trouble. Perhaps you didn't read all of the posts.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
Actually I did read each and every post, and the snide remarks went both ways, (in my opinion)....   They then started acting as adults and respectively resolved the issue.

As for them going above and beyond, I agree completely, isn't that what, at times, makes this a great community?

I thought the thread ended well with the one side being able to offer an explanation that the other could understand.  I believe it was just yesterday when someone on our squad started complaining about eny, and Boss directed him to this thread to so they could completely understand how the process works.

The following post was made by Dads, so I still don't get how you believe he is an "unappreciative twit".  This was the post directly above your first post.

Thank you for your patience in explaining this in detail, I am sure that for the majority of people that have followed along have a much better grasp of how dynamic this process is.

From most of what I seen in previous posts about explanations of how this worked,  they just were not as informative as this one has been for me., I feel like I have a good understanding now of how it works and how it is applied and I am sure others would agree.

Thanks again for your time.   :salute

But then again, I'm expressing my opinion.

Fred

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 01:26:40 PM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

I think Murdr & others went way above & beyond the call on this one & was met with snide remarks & disrespect for all of his trouble. Perhaps you didn't read all of the posts.

I really don't know how to respond to your negative and ignorant remarks, but since you are in the mood of calling someone a name you obviously live by, I feel obligated to share a thought with you.

First, I didn't see anywhere in this string for your input and unwarranted comments.  It also appears that the only "twit" that commented negatively in this post was you. 

Here is something helpful for you live by in your make believe world... Practice what you preach.

Besides, I could care less what you think and by no means will you hamper what I say or anyone else says on this BBS if its something you find hard to swallow. 

The reality of it is, you have no meaning to anyone but yourself.  Here is your 2 bits troll, now crawl under that bridge you crawled out from and enjoy your meaningless existence.

:D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:31:13 PM by Dadsguns »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »
Actually I did read each and every post, and the snide remarks went both ways, (in my opinion)....

Please clearify this remark for me  :)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »
Please clearify this remark for me  :)

Not trying to be "snide" here, and I really don't want to bring up something that someone else my not have perceived to be the same thing.  At the end of my post I clearly stated "in my opinion".

I will go this far.  As I read the posts I did get the preception of one (some) being a bit snide.  I perceived this on both sides of the issue.  Again I will state this is my opinion. 

If you do not agree with my opinion, then so be it, but I like anyone else on this forum am entitled to have one.  Please don't take this as a smart arse remark, because it is not my intent for it to be that way.   :)

I still give you and staff a big  :salute explaining something that I really never understood. .

My opinion again.

Fred

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:44:33 PM by bmwgs »

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »

If you do not agree with my opinion, then so be it, but I like anyone else on this forum am entitled to have one. 

:aok