Author Topic: After 9 years...  (Read 6924 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: After 9 years...
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2008, 04:39:41 AM »
I've never had anyone that I would consider a veteran of the game open up his guns as we approach HO for the first merge.  Maybe we need to decide on a definition of "veteran of aces high".

Don't know where you fly, but I have had it done many of times.  Many are on this board and claimed to have played since the AW days.  I'm not complaining, but I have seen the 51's, 47's, 38's, and not to forget the 109's come in with guns a blazing from 1000 out.

I'm not going to drop names because there is not reason to, but if it happens to me, I know it happens to others.

Now don't get me wrong, I just consider the HO part of the game, but to say the "vets" don't do it,,,,,well I don't know about that.   :salute

Another Fred's opinion.
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »
First, the purpose of this thread was not to take away the current game play but simply to provide another option. We have EWA,MWA,LWA & the AVA. For better or worse the AVA has moved away from its roots and the three "big arena's" all have the same potential issues that crept into the CT.

While the strategic air war raged at 23-32k over both Germany and Japan the vast majority of the fighting was tactical in nature and had fairly static "front lines" when viewed on a day to day basis. To me the vision of tactical aggression we see in FSO is much more appropriate for main arena play. Want to sink a CV scramble some SBD's or heavy fighters...or even single twin engine buffs. Want to take a base or assault a town...same thing. I'm not asking for "you" to change your game...I'd just prefer another option.

As for HO's, everyone does it now and then. I lit up a lala last night. I was in my SBD and all he wanted to do was joust so on the 7th or 8th pass I popped him in the nose.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2008, 07:59:25 AM »
Don't know where you fly, but I have had it done many of times.  Many are on this board and claimed to have played since the AW days.  I'm not complaining, but I have seen the 51's, 47's, 38's, and not to forget the 109's come in with guns a blazing from 1000 out.

I'm not going to drop names because there is not reason to, but if it happens to me, I know it happens to others.

Now don't get me wrong, I just consider the HO part of the game, but to say the "vets" don't do it,,,,,well I don't know about that.   :salute

Another Fred's opinion.

Again I think we'd have to understand what we mean by "veteran" of aces high.  If you've played 4 years but still couldn't ACM your way out of a wet paper bag...well I wouldn't look to you for advice or direction on how to improve, thats for sure.

I consider someone a "vet" when I've seen them fly with skill, class, and a willingness to help others.  It took me less than 3 months to notice the huge gap of skill in this game between those who HO on a first merge and those who don't.  I realized that looking to zap someone HO from 800 was never going to allow me to improve beyond either getting lucky or leaving myself vulnerable to an easy reversal.

I'm pretty sure that some are unwilling or too stubborn to realize that.

Anyways, just playing for a few years by no means makes someone a "vet" in my eyes.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
Again I think we'd have to understand what we mean by "veteran" of aces high.  If you've played 4 years but still couldn't ACM your way out of a wet paper bag...well I wouldn't look to you for advice or direction on how to improve, thats for sure.

I consider someone a "vet" when I've seen them fly with skill, class, and a willingness to help others.  It took me less than 3 months to notice the huge gap of skill in this game between those who HO on a first merge and those who don't.  I realized that looking to zap someone HO from 800 was never going to allow me to improve beyond either getting lucky or leaving myself vulnerable to an easy reversal.

I'm pretty sure that some are unwilling or too stubborn to realize that.

Anyways, just playing for a few years by no means makes someone a "vet" in my eyes.

Agree with everything you said.     :aok

Fred did it again, another opinion.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
Cool.  I guess I never had written out my opinions on the difference between good players and players who have just been around a while.

<S>
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Hack9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »

I realize that "back to the future" is impossible but I wonder if small map fighter (and tank) {no ords} only arena is possible. No buffs, no base capture no "score" system. Just a place for the guys who want to actually fight without anything to attract the lesser elements (and yes I'm an elitist snob).

It's my hope / belief that reintroduction of H2H 8-Player (or perhaps a system capable of handling even more players than that) as a subscriber based game feature, coupled with the use of content editors (terrain,mission,etc) will help players who are willing and able to customize smaller, more specialized arenas that better meet their game play needs. At such a time players could invite like minded individuals to their H2H arena and go at it any way they prefer without interruption by "lesser elements."   We'll have to wait and see what actually happens, but I think the potential is definitely there for some good things to come to the game via such changes / additions to AH...(you know, in "2 weeks.")   ;)

Hack9  :salute