Author Topic: Vultee A31/A35 Vengance  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Vultee A31/A35 Vengance
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
2 x 1000lbs bombs + 5 HVAR rockets will take down ANY hangar (VH, FH, BH) as will 2 x 1000lbs bombs + 1 500lbs bomb.  But as Easyscor noted that the hardness is like 2,781lbs, which seems odd because I recall often taking down hangars in with a Jug with 2 1000 and 1 500.  Oh well
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 11:52:09 PM »
If you say the dauntless is good enough then how come everytime I up one even with almost total air superiority I get shot down? I can get on their tail for a bit, I would have killed them in that time with a P51, but it just dosen't hit hard enough. besides, unless I am thinking of another planes bomb load then it' bomb load is well....unimpressive. If we aren't going to get this then can we at least get the SB2C-4 (son of a bich second class) aka helldiver.

If you're talking about getting on someone's tail in the Dauntless, you're sort of missing the point of the aircraft....

The Dauntless' real value comes from the Early War arena where most fighters can't match the ordinance load, and especially in scenario play. Although first deployed to British and Commonwealth units in 1942, the Vengeance didn't actually see combat until 1943. This places her firmly in the Mid War arena (otherwise, if HTC decides to add her in Early War you're gonna see me lobbying HARD for the F4U-1 in EW, which was ALSO received by its first squadrons in late-1942). At this point, fighters are now carrying close to, if not as much or more than, the ordinance than most single-engine dedicated strike craft.

For these reasons the Vengeance is a VERY low priority. She didn't see combat until 1943, so your two main reasons for adding her are really sort of pointless, because almost every American fighter from 1943 and on carried close to or the same ordinance, with MUCH better performance. She was deployed in such small numbers that her value for scenario use is limited, and the Vengeance does NOT fill any significant gaps in the plane set. These are ALL reasons why the Dauntless is far more valuable (competitive ordinance load in EW, and VERY important for scenario use in the PTO).

Now the Helldiver would be a VERY worthwhile add, as it was the primary US Navy dive-bomber after the Battle of the Philippine Sea so in that regard has a lot of historical significance, and would fill really one of the only two major gaps in the US PTO plane set (late-war dive bomber. The other being the TBD, which is needed for setups set at Midway or earlier. I'd love the Catalina, but her usefulness is very limited). However once you get her I'm sure you'll be very disappointed. She was very poor-handling, and early models had awful dive characteristics among dozens of other nasty teething problems. Don't think for a second that "Son of a squeak, 2nd Class" was meant as a compliment.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:47:21 AM »
2 x 1000lbs bombs + 5 HVAR rockets will take down ANY hangar (VH, FH, BH) as will 2 x 1000lbs bombs + 1 500lbs bomb.  But as Easyscor noted that the hardness is like 2,781lbs, which seems odd because I recall often taking down hangars in with a Jug with 2 1000 and 1 500.  Oh well
qft.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »
Now the Helldiver would be a VERY worthwhile add, as it was the primary US Navy dive-bomber after the Battle of the Philippine Sea so in that regard has a lot of historical significance, and would fill really one of the only two major gaps in the US PTO plane set (late-war dive bomber. The other being the TBD, which is needed for setups set at Midway or earlier. I'd love the Catalina, but her usefulness is very limited). However once you get her I'm sure you'll be very disappointed. She was very poor-handling, and early models had awful dive characteristics among dozens of other nasty teething problems. Don't think for a second that "Son of a squeak, 2nd Class" was meant as a compliment.

Beat me to it.  Cool plane.  Either that or the Firefly would be a great addition to the CV lineup.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 07:41:14 PM »
Hmm, good points saxman, I hadn't thought of them, <S>. While I agree with you, I still think this would be a cool plane to have. I mean you got to admit this things combination of guns and ord is, well...interesting.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Overlord925

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
I'm sure there are people out there that still fly dive bombers and maybe its just me but I probably have the same chances seeing someone flying a divebomber in the MA as seeing Bigfoot. 

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »
I know what you mean. They are mostly used in carrier raids, and defending bases against gv's. Of course then again I mostly use the TBM Avenger as it can carry more ord if I remember correctly. I would use this if we had it. The main problem is that it dosen't have enough capability to defend itself.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 07:04:31 AM »
I'm sure there are people out there that still fly dive bombers and maybe its just me but I probably have the same chances seeing someone flying a divebomber in the MA as seeing Bigfoot. 

They should allow a wig option like they do with big Buff for Stukas, Vals, Kates, and SBDs, not for TBMs or Il2s.  You take out a formation of three, a finger four, or a V of 5.

"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »
Just go Rook and see Tomcat21 fighting off the GV hordes.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
Well, if you consider Ar234 GV bombing...dive bombing...you'll see me a lot.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »
The OFFICIAL hardness is posted as 3000lbs, regardless of hangar type. Now, whether that's been simplified or not is a good question.

See Help.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »
The OFFICIAL hardness is posted as 3000lbs, regardless of hangar type. Now, whether that's been simplified or not is a good question.

See Help.
Ah...I was looking for that a couple days ago. Seems odd...the FH seems to take 3K, yet the BH and VH only seem to take 2500...can anyone do tests?

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »
It dosen't just seem odd, it seems off as well. One would think that the BH's would be more reenforced as it is (probably) a larger structure. Well then again, maby because FH's are (again, probably) smaller targets the renforcements are more consolidated and is therefor a tougher target. It is the same as a stadium with a roof a half mile across and one a quarter mile across, if you drop something large and heavy in the exact midle of the roof, which one is more likely to break under less preasure if the edges and sides are the exact same? Well anyway, I want to get a pro's opinion again: Can any of you HTC or designe team guys tell me why exactly BH's seem to go down with less.