Author Topic: Dont think plane....think ACM  (Read 4817 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Dont think plane....think ACM
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2008, 02:11:35 PM »
beat slap in his F4F with an A20, or beat him while BnZing in a 190D9?

Shooting a decent flyer in something as maneuverable as a Wildcat with a D9 is pretty challenging too.

EDIT: Saying one would take "No pride" in shooting down an F4F ace 1v1 in a D9 is actually quite silly. The D9 may enjoy a massive advantage in engine power, but it also has a massive disadvantage in turning ability. I imagine most would be more likely to get the kill Wildcat vs. Wildcat than to actually put lead on him with the Dora.

Insert "Zero" where instead of D9 and the phrase would make more sense, since the Zero DOES hold most of the cards over a Wildcat.

Not like Snaphook's A-20 vs. a Hog or something, he himself pointed out that flying it is instructive because it doesn't hold an advantage over much in either E OR angles tactics.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 02:58:57 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2008, 02:33:00 PM »

. Its or beat him while BnZing in a 190D9? Slapshot is a good stick, but I wouldn't take a heck of a lot of pride in killing him with an D9,

My money would be on Slappy  FTW.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 02:51:46 PM »
My money would be on Slappy  FTW.
:rolleyes:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »
Look for Agent360's films. He does some where he narrates what he is doing during the fight. Very informative, and I find them to be a great learning tool.

I second this, Agent360's films are great.  I really wish there were more folks willing to post up their films. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
I second this, Agent360's films are great.  I really wish there were more folks willing to post up their films. 

i would, but mine are generally on the order of     merge-turn-pingping bang- tower :D

oo....and i have a bad tendency to hit the PTT button when i;m yelling at myself for doing something stupid.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 06:06:02 PM »
shhh the internet pilots are speaking acm!!
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »
Shooting a decent flyer in something as maneuverable as a Wildcat with a D9 is pretty challenging too.

EDIT: Saying one would take "No pride" in shooting down an F4F ace 1v1 in a D9 is actually quite silly. The D9 may enjoy a massive advantage in engine power, but it also has a massive disadvantage in turning ability. I imagine most would be more likely to get the kill Wildcat vs. Wildcat than to actually put lead on him with the Dora.

Insert "Zero" where instead of D9 and the phrase would make more sense, since the Zero DOES hold most of the cards over a Wildcat.

Not like Snaphook's A-20 vs. a Hog or something, he himself pointed out that flying it is instructive because it doesn't hold an advantage over much in either E OR angles tactics.

BnZ has a certain amount of luck. I pick my angle, anticipate which way slap is going to break, take my shot. If Slap is a bit off on his timing, or I get lucky and and pic the right spot and poof he's down. Am I proud of that kill, not really, I got lucky, or Slap was unlucky because he picked the wrong move. But if we fought it all the way to the deck twisting and turning picking pieces of of each other until one of us dies. Would I be proud of that kill heck ya !!

I've killed humble a number of times, most I wasn't to proud of, I played it safe and picked him apart from a distance while he kill many others. One fight we were both in hogs and we fought from 8k to the deck. I knew I was in trouble, and finally got picked by a nik I couldn't avoid due to all the parts humble knocked off. I lost, but that fight was over a year ago and it still gets my heart pumping to think about it.

Those are the kills to be proud of, those are the fights that keep me playing this game. Vulchin, pickin, ganging, no skill kills, but that is what most of the player go for because they are the easiest, takes the least amount of time to learn. Quakers learn the tricks and short cuts, simmers learn something new in each fight.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »
BnZ has a certain amount of luck. I pick my angle, anticipate which way slap is going to break, take my shot. If Slap is a bit off on his timing, or I get lucky and and pic the right spot and poof he's down. Am I proud of that kill, not really, I got lucky, or Slap was unlucky because he picked the wrong move. But if we fought it all the way to the deck twisting and turning picking pieces of of each other until one of us dies.

Or the BnZ's guy's aim is abit off, the TnB guys is on, and he kills his opponent with a difficult snapshot on the overshoot. Its tough shooting for either man.

I dunno, I just find the "what to do" alot more intuitive and straight forward when my plane can more or less turn at least as well as the opponents than when it is not the case. I don't find getting kills against awake opponents in a poor-turning late-war energy fighter nearly as "easy-mode" as some claim it is.

One of my squaddies favors the Spit9, and is pretty good in it. When we go SpitVSpit, it is 50/50. I don't think I've EVER shot him down Fw-190 v. Spit.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
Or the BnZ's guy's aim is abit off, the TnB guys is on, and he kills his opponent with a difficult snapshot on the overshoot. Its tough shooting for either man.

I dunno, I just find the "what to do" alot more intuitive and straight forward when my plane can more or less turn at least as well as the opponents than when it is not the case. I don't find getting kills against awake opponents in a poor-turning late-war energy fighter nearly as "easy-mode" as some claim it is.

One of my squaddies favors the Spit9, and is pretty good in it. When we go SpitVSpit, it is 50/50. I don't think I've EVER shot him down Fw-190 v. Spit.

Ya sure, there are a million ways the fight "could" go, but I'm just talking about this instance. A BnZ pass isn't that big a deal. Out of the 46 kills I had in a pony last month most where BnZ passes and I'll darned if I can remember more than a couple of them. On the other hand I can remember hard fought battles from years ago.

Instinctively you may be doing ACMs you "think" are good, but on the other hand a good stick might be able to exploit a weak point in your ACMs because your use to the "spit" covering you for a sloppy maneuver.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 07:44:10 PM »
There are classes of aircraft that are superlative in a multi-vs-multi environment, but which are poor 1vs1.  The 190D-9 is one of those.  Although it's superior to the Spitfire9 in general, 1vs1 isn't interesting.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 08:33:20 PM »
Ya sure, there are a million ways the fight "could" go, but I'm just talking about this instance. A BnZ pass isn't that big a deal. Out of the 46 kills I had in a pony last month most where BnZ passes and I'll darned if I can remember more than a couple of them. On the other hand I can remember hard fought battles from years ago.

Instinctively you may be doing ACMs you "think" are good, but on the other hand a good stick might be able to exploit a weak point in your ACMs because your use to the "spit" covering you for a sloppy maneuver.

Nah, doesn't really matter in this case, it can be P-47s vrs. P-47s and it is still basically the same. It seems to me alot easier when the plane turns well enough relative to the opposition that you can fly to "saddle up".

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
Nah, doesn't really matter in this case, it can be P-47s vrs. P-47s and it is still basically the same. It seems to me alot easier when the plane turns well enough relative to the opposition that you can fly to "saddle up".

Thats what we are talking about, why go for "easy"? Whats the fun in always going for the easy way, only fighting when its safe? What's the point? Step out side the box, take up an A20 and turn fight spits with it. Think of the trill if you survive? ...get a kill? ... maybe two or more to land with your name in lights! More fun than going strait up with a like plane.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »

Thats what we are talking about, why go for "easy"? Whats the fun in always going for the easy way, only fighting when its safe? What's the point? Step out side the box, take up an A20 and turn fight spits with it. Think of the trill if you survive? ...get a kill? ... maybe two or more to land with your name in lights! More fun than going strait up with a like plane.

Well, I'm glad you know what you enjoy.  I think it's boring when my opponents make themselves easy kills by doing the opposite of what their aircraft was designed for.  In the same way, I want to challenge my opponents as much as possible, even when I'm in a 109G-6 in the main arena.  That is what is fun to me. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 10:30:46 PM »

You are getting away from my point here. You implied that killing (insert good stick here) while he was in a F4F would be shamefully easy in a D9 or (Insert high-powered poor turning E fighter) but you would garner alot more bragging rights by hauling back on the stick in a t'n'b with him in a similar-turning aircraft.

I disagree. I think if anything a top speed/horsepower advantage takes more experience and gunnery skills to convert into a kill than a nimbleness advantage in a 1v1. That is all I mean.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 11:42:54 PM »
You are getting away from my point here. You implied that killing (insert good stick here) while he was in a F4F would be shamefully easy in a D9 or (Insert high-powered poor turning E fighter) but you would garner alot more bragging rights by hauling back on the stick in a t'n'b with him in a similar-turning aircraft.

I disagree. I think if anything a top speed/horsepower advantage takes more experience and gunnery skills to convert into a kill than a nimbleness advantage in a 1v1. That is all I mean.

Personally, I fly the Ki84 most of the time and I really feel good about life when I knock a Spit16/LA7/N1K/etc out of the sky.  I've enjoyed the game quite a bit more since I stopped flying Spits and N1Ks and switched to mostly the KI84.  My problem is that I need a 30 ENY alternative plane to fly when ENY caps out.  I have yet to find a 30+ ENY plane that feels right to me.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder