Author Topic: Greebo - Yes another Hellcat request  (Read 4216 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Greebo - Yes another Hellcat request
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »
Your F6F's skins are amazing and would like you to work on this if you'd like or can.

I came across Images of VF-17 F6F-5's, they were formed later after the the original F4U squad became VF-84. Formed in 1944 and flew from the USS Hornet during the Tokyo raids of 1945. The only one i could find images of both sides is 35. I highlighted the skull and cross bones which is hard to see. The second & third are from Wings Pallette, I haven't found any pics that show the white ring around the front except in artwork like the fourth.

EDIT: wingtip image

I was also looking VF-83 F6F's and F4U's with the Double Triangle on the tail and right wing but not having any luck finding images. Mainly the F6F-5 "Death N Destruction" that is on page 69 of of Barret Tillman's "Hellcat Aces of WW2". I haven't ordered the book yet so i have nothing to scan.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:39:26 PM by whiteman »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Greebo - Yes another Hellcat request
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:28:10 PM »
VF-17 skins for something without bent wings is just blasphemous.  :O
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
LOL i know right, but i need just cause for flying when I do. :D

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:11:21 PM »
I'm happy to do those F6Fs for you Whiteman, although it might be a while before I can get round to it. Currently I'm working on Popkov's La-5FN, then there's a BPF F6F for Redd and a B-25H that Lyric1 found for me. Plus any default skins that HTC come up with. Also I have some real world stuff that is eating into my spare time at the moment.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »
Awesome! I know what your talking about I'm a graphic designer and my schedule is loaded and don't really have time for much of anything when I do get home. If I ever have free time I'm going to have to quiz you and saxman on what you use to create your templates (panel lines, rivets, the detailed stuff).

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:48:57 PM »
TTT, sorry for a new squadie to see. :salute

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »
Please keep us informed as to when you just 'bout got it done Greebo :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »
Sorry, for the last couple of months I've been decorating a flat on most of my days off and evenings and so have had little free time for skinning. We have just about finished it now though so I should have some more spare time. I'm half way through a nice B-25H that Lyric1 found for me and after that I'll start the VF-17 Hellcat.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:33:10 PM by Greebo »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
Your F6F's skins are amazing and would like you to work on this if you'd like or can.

I came across Images of VF-17 F6F-5's, they were formed later after the the original F4U squad became VF-84. Formed in 1944 and flew from the USS Hornet during the Tokyo raids of 1945. The only one i could find images of both sides is 35. I highlighted the skull and cross bones which is hard to see. The second & third are from Wings Pallette, I haven't found any pics that show the white ring around the front except in artwork like the fourth.

(Image removed from quote.)

EDIT: wingtip image

I was also looking VF-83 F6F's and F4U's with the Double Triangle on the tail and right wing but not having any luck finding images. Mainly the F6F-5 "Death N Destruction" that is on page 69 of of Barret Tillman's "Hellcat Aces of WW2". I haven't ordered the book yet so i have nothing to scan.

I have a video of a white nosed f6f crash landing on a cv. That is about all you can see on it though.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »
Please keep us informed as to when you just 'bout got it done Greebo :)

Off-topic:

I just read your signature, tried it, and laughed so hard I blew chunks of cheese out of my nose!

Offline Coog03

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 01:52:35 AM »
Dont worry lyric the only skin vf-17 needs is a crashed or on fire skin!  :devil
VF41 Red Rippers
368th Thunder Bums
Killuminati

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »
Here is my VF-17 Hellcat skin. One thing I'm not too sure about is the double square markings on the wings. Were the squares painted on both wingtips top and bottom as I've done it or only on the top right and bottom left wingtips? The photos only show the top right wingtip. Profiles and diecast models show them on all four wingtips but these are never too reliable a source.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »
Looking nice Greebo!

Also, what terrain was that second screenshot taken in?
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
Looks great, thank you very much! I'll see if i can find pics of the other wing.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »
Thanks guys, the squares looked a little odd being so close to the US insignia. They could be right, but thought it wouldn't hurt to make sure. None of my books show a VF-17 Hellcat photo with that part on view.

The terrain is my MA terrain project called CraterMA. I've been working on it off and on for a couple of years now and its close to being ready to submit. There is a thread in the Terrain Editor forum about it and I've just added a link in that thread which will let you download the terrain files for offline use. This is the thread:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,216707.0.html