Author Topic: Ship Based Aircraft  (Read 257 times)

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
Ship Based Aircraft
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
I can't find any specifics at the moment, but I thought it would be cool if you could up planes off of the battle ship because i know all the countries in WWII had airplanes stationed on ships beside their carrier, I know they weren't the best planes, but it would make a task group a little more useful after the carrier is down.

and if not directly off the battle ship, maybe a plane with pontoons....
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Re: Ship Based Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 08:07:22 PM »
Except it's a cruiser.  Don't think (or know) if they were large enough.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline spacer

• Copper Member
Re: Ship Based Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:06:44 PM »
These were float or pontoon planes.  Depending on the BB, CA or CL they were on it could be 1 to 4 aircraft.  The modeling of these for Landing and Recovery would be difficult.  Numerous aircraft PBY for one have been ask for before.
  Late in the WWII the Japanese modified several BB and CA into Float plane carriers.  About the only thing they accomplished were to be sunk!

The exception were the two TONE class CA that started with IJN.  They were suppose to do early scouting of Pearl Harbor, but some foul up happened and the scout never made it. (I dont remember the problem.)