Author Topic: opinion on which is harder..air or GV  (Read 1791 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: opinion on which is harder..air or GV
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:15 AM »
Gamey use of terrain?

How often to you see someone parking behind a tree so that they can shoot under it but incoming rounds detonate against the tree crown. Now I have no problem with a randomized result here but what we have is 100% absorption of the round. Combine that with all the "pet spots" that really rely on a glitch or anomaly in the artwork and its a big issue.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2008, 01:14:37 AM »
How often to you see someone parking behind a tree so that they can shoot under it but incoming rounds detonate against the tree crown. Now I have no problem with a randomized result here but what we have is 100% absorption of the round. Combine that with all the "pet spots" that really rely on a glitch or anomaly in the artwork and its a big issue.

Far from being gamey at all in my book.

The fact that any object will stop a round by 100% is a well known fact since the first day. It's a standard "feature" of the game engine as is and not limited to trees.

Gamey would have been the exploitation of bugs & glitches.. hiding in windmill was one, as well as sticking your gunbarrel through certain hangar walls. Or manipulating  your detail sliders so you could see distant tanks behind cover like hills & hedges.

But seeking cover behind a tree? No.

And just as a side note: The best battle I ever had in AH2 was a almost two hour long tank fight, where I found myself being the lione defender of an isolated GV base vs 3 or 4 enemy players. Never again I had experienced so much suspense, sweaty hands & pure fun. :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:16:55 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2008, 02:17:12 AM »
And just as a side note: The best battle I ever had in AH2 was a almost two hour long tank fight, where I found myself being the lione defender of an isolated GV base vs 3 or 4 enemy players. Never again I had experienced so much suspense, sweaty hands & pure fun. :)

Glad you enjoyed it, I don't understand the joy of tanking really.

After adding a few more aircraft and updating hit sprites, I think they really need to update the targeting sights on tanks. At least give it a little eye candy, or better yet give them historic sights.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »
Delirium,

Not the type of spin I'm talking about.  I have seen the spin described in that thread,  and it is no where near like the other ones I have seen. 

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any hacking or cheating going on, I think some have just learned over time to exploit the modeling and do some unrealistic moves.  I consider it part of the game. 

The only point I was trying to make to Humble is the air side of the game can be just as gamey as the GV side.  I'm not trying to say nothing more or less.

Thanks for the information.  I like that 38 film.  Just about makes me want to fly one.   :salute

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
GVs are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaay  gamier!

Offline LTARogue

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2008, 12:47:50 PM »
You just "drive" a tank? lol. There is more to it if you want to live long but the most important point of GV'ing is that first shot because of the skill level out there you may not get a second. There is a critical skill with tanking with regard to target distance estimation. Those who need several shots to "range" usually dont live too long unless the distance is great. Would you say the guy who hovers over a furball and picks off low "E" fighters has mad skills in fighters? If you have that kind of patience then it seems like that would be easy so isn't it all realative? I personally find fighters more difficult because there is more going on and at much greater speeds etc.

LTARogue

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »
which is harder..air combat or GVing in game?

Hands down air combat.

You can take everything that the gv aspect has in the game, and apply it to the air.  Distance shooting, not missing your shot or your dead, getting jumped (snuck up on), and whatever else you can think of.  Then you add the 3d aspect, the many different offensive and defensive maneuvers and at what air speed you can execute them, knowing when and if you should deploy flaps, trimming your plane, closure rates, that it all happens faster, and so on, and so on.

Given an even learning time line it takes much longer to become really good at air combat, just because there is more to learn.

I prefer air combat, but i have fun tanking from time to time, and like to defend bases in wirbles and ostis.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2008, 02:37:59 PM »
Sorry if someone already said this, but I couldnt be bothered to read the whole thread. Ships guns are clearly the most difficult.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »
Air combat is clearly the most difficult.  Learning textbook ACM could take a very long time.  Most pilots nowadays don't even know the first thing they are trying to do in a turn fight, just turning and hoping the enemy gets in their sites with no concept of counters, throttle control, and corner speeds.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
Dude, have you ever tried to vulch PT boats with a 5" gun on a CV when there is like 20+ upping? Its way harder than flying.