Author Topic: Sorry to all...  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Sorry to all...
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »

I dont up from a deacked field in a fighter when the hordlets are vulching either.  Does that mean I'm "preserving" my fighter/attack score?

You are clearly confusing smart play, with gameyness.  You don't seem to understand the difference between not upping vs. bailing to prevent a kill and I don't think anyone here could convince you that there is a difference.

Bailing to prevent a kill is up there with lanc stukas, shooting from within a windmill and vulching a shade in my mind, and others it seems.  

Hey, it's your $15, enjoy the game as you like.  It doesn't mean everyone will agree with your style.  We all have differing views.  IMHO, if you don't think bailing to prevent a kill is wrong, you are a gamer, not a player.  Players play in the spirit of the rules of the game.  Gamers look to exploit the system for better rank/score/lower deaths.  

I, am a player.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FireDragon

• Zinc Member
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2008, 09:58:57 PM »
I think it can take more guts to appologize after the fact than before..... :aok

Ill wing with you Amsoil21... Just look me up in the MA...

You dont have to change your name either.

<<S>>  FireDrgn

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
Takes no guts... we call it trying to save face after the fact. Some know that there are individuals who fogive and forget no matter what... only to be trampled again in the future. At which time they try to get others to feel sorry for them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2008, 10:45:22 PM »

I dont up from a deacked field in a fighter when the hordlets are vulching either.  Does that mean I'm "preserving" my fighter/attack score?

Don't take it seriously.  Ackack has made it clear in the past that he doesn't care much for gv's in AH.

Yet, by his argument, towering out in an aircraft on the runway just before you are vulched is also gaming for score...reductio ad absurdum.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2008, 11:12:01 PM »
You are clearly confusing smart play, with gameyness.  You don't seem to understand the difference between not upping vs. bailing to prevent a kill and I don't think anyone here could convince you that there is a difference.

Bailing to prevent a kill is up there with lanc stukas, shooting from within a windmill and vulching a shade in my mind, and others it seems.  

Hey, it's your $15, enjoy the game as you like.  It doesn't mean everyone will agree with your style.  We all have differing views.  IMHO, if you don't think bailing to prevent a kill is wrong, you are a gamer, not a player.  Players play in the spirit of the rules of the game.  Gamers look to exploit the system for better rank/score/lower deaths.  

You know, I'm the type of guy that continues to pump ammo into the sky even though I can see the bomb coming right at me on the off chance that I'll tag the other guy before he takes me out....  But... 

I have been known to up on the runway of a field that is under full vulch, only to tower when somebody gets close.  Then re-up and tower right before they can vulch me.  If I've had a couple drinks, it can get me to laughing hysterically as the vulchers swoop in to find an empty runway right before they pull the trigger.  I figure that they are still effectively capping the field, in case their intent is a base capture (which I don't really have a problem with).  But teasing them with the chance to kill me, then snatching it away gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

If it's wrong to frustrate vulchers, then I don't want to be right.  :D

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2008, 11:25:54 PM »
But teasing them with the chance to kill me, then snatching it away gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Exactly.  In fact, if I tower a GV on concrete with a bomb coming at me I almost always raise my arms in victory and sceam Yes!  I do it just to piss the other guy off but if the hangers are down I'm in till the bitter end.

I also don't hold it against anyone else doing the same to me.  If I drop on them while they are on concrete and the hangers are still up then, well, I was just stupid.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2008, 11:55:42 PM »
As this is the guy listed on the AH Homepage with the 'top overall ranking' in latewar, I think the case has been made to prove how unimportant scores are, and how little they impact on showing the quality of the cartoon pilot.

And frankly the apology after getting busted, only goes so far.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »
Anyone that towers out of a GV to avoid being killed does it purely to preserve their score.  There is not one valid reason to employ such 'tard like gaming the game habits. 

As for the argument that bombing a GV is just as lame, well that's the expected typical response from a GVer to try and excuse their lame actions.

ack-ack

Lets see if I got this right.  Dropping eggs on a GV while the hanger(s) are up, is not someone trying to pad their score? 

As for a reason for doing it, I can think of a couple, but one would be getting the dumb arse to expend his ord. on the GV rather than the hanger.

I agree with BaldEagl, if the hangers are up, and the bombs are on the way, I'll tower out in a second.  Now if the hangers are down, I'll stay to the end.

Fred 
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2008, 12:54:57 AM »
pls dont blame the few because they had no part in this and didnt know i was even doing it. i have decided not to play for a while and cant forgive myself for what i have done.

To me the salient point was absolving The Few from involvement in this misadventure.

:aok

The question that comes my mind is:

"What did his shocked brother say when he found out he was ranked 5893 and Amsoil was ranked 1?"

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:53 AM »
Furball did that to me many times back in AH1, he didnt do it for score, he did it to piss me off :p So i learnt my lesson, bomb the VH first.

:devil

I remember that, you were in an A-20 and i was in an Osty.  Think you tried to bomb me 4 times or so before you realised what i was doing? haha.

I think the score system should be based on the amount of people you piss off each tour, it would be much more difficult to game that system.  :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2008, 02:59:33 AM »
I have my reserves to say too much here, as I don't exactly have the best and most shining past in Aces High. I'm just back from a long forced leave (lack of internet connection) aswell so, I don't really know the guy nor he has done any harm to me or my score (which is usually very low anyway).

However, and because among my many mistakes in the past was never abusing AH's scoring/Gaming system, I'll drop my 0.02€ in here and say what I think.

Mistakes we all commit. Wrong things we all do. Maybe not in the game, but in life noone is a saint. Probably the guy is young, prolly only a kid, and when you are young you do very stupid things.
However that doesn't help the fact that Amsoil lied, which is bad, took advantage of cheating the scoring system, and (worse of all, at least for me) compromised his squadmates into defending him actively and in front of everyone of this community; so much that now they are under suspect by most of the witchhunters (I love the word  :rofl). His actions are really shameful and I hope are not a reflection of what the guy would do in real life in order to achieve success.
 There are certain barriers you should never cross, and he has crossed over a very important one: faking success to achieve respect and letting his mates on the dust because they stepped up to defend him against well founded accusations. This kind of behavior is not unusual in real life, I'm sure we all know someone who has earned a position or a respect he doesn't deserve by stepping over the work of other people, not his own. And who still has good friends who will defend him against any critics.

Those people rank in my own eyes as one of the worse kind of scumbag you can find in day-to-day life. As I said I just hope what he has done here is not what he does/is willing to do in real life.

I dont think he needs any more flak than what he has received (it was a well earned flak anyway), so I won't go further. I won't question his motives as for coming here and offer a public apology; exposed or not the fact is that he has stepped up, admitted his fault, and apologized for it. That's at least a good reaction on his part. As long as he learns from the experience and doesn't do it again (and I doubt anyone would ever do it again given the new score page :D), I'm fine with it. Even more if he comes back with his own nickname. If he really is sorry and he really wants to fix his past behavior he won't hide under another handle, but use his own, stand any well deserved criticism he has earned now, and work hard to make himself a good reputation working by the same rules we all the rest obey.

That's what I think at least. Excuse my poor english, btw, been months since I last used it for anything...

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2008, 03:05:13 AM »
I have my reserves to say too much here,

Apparently not.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2008, 03:09:29 AM »
Yes, I decided to write in this thread. That doesn't mean I didn't really wonder if it was appropiate or not, as back some years ago I was not the one to show the best personal behavior in Aces High (granted, in a long, long past. But still...), and because I have been out for almost 5 months because internet problems that have prevented me to fly AH2.

What I wanted to say couldn't be said in two lines anyway. It was something of a choice between posting what I've posted, or post nothing at all, so I decided for the former.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:11:23 AM by RAM »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2008, 03:26:27 AM »
Yes, I decided to write in this thread. That doesn't mean I didn't really wonder if it was appropiate or not, as back some years ago I was not the one to show the best personal behavior in Aces High (granted, in a long, long past. But still...), and because I have been out for almost 5 months because internet problems that have prevented me to fly AH2.

What I wanted to say couldn't be said in two lines anyway. It was something of a choice between posting what I've posted, or post nothing at all, so I decided for the former.

It was just a joke, O verbose one.

:aok
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2008, 06:26:48 AM »
Lets see if I got this right.  Dropping eggs on a GV while the hanger(s) are up, is not someone trying to pad their score? 

As for a reason for doing it, I can think of a couple, but one would be getting the dumb arse to expend his ord. on the GV rather than the hanger.

I agree with BaldEagl, if the hangers are up, and the bombs are on the way, I'll tower out in a second.  Now if the hangers are down, I'll stay to the end.

Fred 
Another argument to your theory besides score is attempting to keep a GV from getting to the map room when an M3 is on the way as was the case here.

If you don't have enough ords to take out all 3 hangers, and you can keep the GV's busy while the M3 runs to the map room. In that case, bombing GVs instead of taking out hangers is a good tactic.  Agreed?

You see, there are always many sides to the story, you need to accept that fact.  One look at my k/d and rank will tell you I am not a score monger.  I don't often run from a fight even when out numbered, and I am willing to risk an wirb attack for the "greater good". 

If you want to find the score mongers, look at a players K/D.  Gavagai is a good example of one who plays for rank.  He runs from 1v1 fights unless he has uber alt/E.  I had nothing better to do one night so I chased a con two sectors all the way back to his base, and a friend. It was gavagai.  To him, his cartoon life is precious, and he plays that way.  To me that's boring, but to each his/her own.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org