Author Topic: Flat scissors / How tha hell u do them while looking back ?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Flat scissors / How tha hell u do them while looking back ?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 07:02:19 PM »
I would suggest practicing offline on the deck looking at ur 6 the whole time..I am at the point were I can land from my 6 most the time...It really is just a matter of practice :salute

:D Most the time?????  :O  That kind of implies you actually try to land like that often  :confused:

People in this game scare me  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 01:11:56 AM »
For me, after a couple cuts back and forth, the bogey will start to bleed into my Top View, so then I'll be turning hard looking at him in my top view and as he zeros in for a shot I break it back the other way and repeat.  The bogey is only in your 6 view at the start of the scissors.  If he continues to stay in your 6 view, he is either very skilled or you are doing something wrong and you will most likely be dead soon.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
If we are talking about flat scissors then the danger of auguring should be very small.  In any case, I am constantly looking back or where ever the bad guy is.  I only look forward when I make a change in direction or if I think there is a building coming up but only for a split second.

You can't really be fighting someone without looking at them

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
You can't really be fighting someone without looking at them

You have to know where the other guy is. Whether you're looking at it (most of the times), hear it (full blackout merge pass, having bandit under belly, etc), or just know (after some maneuvers, there's only one way to go)...

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »
You have to know where the other guy is. Whether you're looking at it (most of the times), hear it (full blackout merge pass, having bandit under belly, etc), or just know (after some maneuvers, there's only one way to go)...

Shut it old man.  You can barely see, cant hear, and your reflexes died yesterday.  He was not asking you how to back up a buick off your driveway  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Where have you been foo?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 11:10:46 PM »
i gave a somewhat wiseassd answer before......

seriously now....

when i'm doing this maneuver, i'm not really constantly holding a single view.  i start off looking back at the guy. since i tend to fly low, i might be looking at my 6 high, and am hopoing to force him past me in the first turn. if not, then it;s on. in my 6 and 6 hi views, when i'm banked enough to be pulling a horizontal turn, i can see the ground in the edge of my view. but my hope is to be switching to my "top of canopy" view. when i've come 'round a bit, as i see him commit to a roll to follow me, i release that view, note heading, and roll opposite of him. as i complete the roll, and am pulling g's, i then am also looking back at him, albiet briefly, as if i've done it right, he's almost immediatly in my straight up view.

it seems as if this constnt switching of views helps keep me from augering.

hope htis helps a bit anyway.

<<S>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 04:56:32 PM »
:D Most the time?????  :O  That kind of implies you actually try to land like that often  :confused:

People in this game scare me  :lol
  :noid
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 05:53:09 PM »
Shut it old man.  You can barely see, cant hear, and your reflexes died yesterday.  He was not asking you how to back up a buick off your driveway  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Where have you been foo?

:rofl :rofl  couldnt have said it better myself... :devil

BTW Phil,why are you looking back anyways?? ideally you want the opponent in your lift vector,which would put him in the "up" view.Keep your lift vector pointed at the enemy and you'll easily track him.

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »

Hehehehe  Barf.........
Went in training arena and met with BatFink...
Got into his plane while he did all kinds of scissors, flat scissors, Rolling scissors...
It was great ! Wanted to see what horizon looks like when doin' the maneovers..

Then I got to practice with Black70....
I'm using TRACKIR II. After 2-3minutes of rolling and looking back I got sick to the stomach...
Walked up to bedroom when wife looked at me white as a ghost ! Burp... :(

Still learning...

Phil / OPP7755

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 07:47:42 AM »

Hehehehe  Barf.........
Went in training arena and met with BatFink...
Got into his plane while he did all kinds of scissors, flat scissors, Rolling scissors...
It was great ! Wanted to see what horizon looks like when doin' the maneovers..

Then I got to practice with Black70....
I'm using TRACKIR II. After 2-3minutes of rolling and looking back I got sick to the stomach...
Walked up to bedroom when wife looked at me white as a ghost ! Burp... :(

Still learning...

Phil / OPP7755

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 10:47:57 AM »
Howdy Phil. It's great to see how much you and Black have progressed since we first met up. I agree with what everyone else has said about practice but let me add a little. First it's very difficult ( and usually impossible)  to keep sight 100% of the time in a close maneuvering fight. The way you compensate for this is to "know" where the bandit should reappear and if he's not there where to look next. For instance in the flat scissors he's at your high six (relative view) and you unload, roll, and pull. You will lose sight under your tail during the reversal and he should reappear again on your high six so that's where you should look for him first. If he's not there look to the most likely (and threatening) position. In this case he will probably have gone high to slow his down range travel while increasing his nose to tail distance to give him room to roll in again for a shot so take a quick look up. If he's not there then he has to be below your tail in a horizontal overshoot so you can immediately reverse on him again.  I shouldn't have to say you have to do all this in an instant and that's where the practice comes in. The important part is to learn where he should be given the geometry of the fight, relative e states, relative aircraft capabilites and relative pilot skill. This is not very different than a quarterback going through his "reads".
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
Salute Mace !

Two years you crossed with 2 opponents.
Two spitfires VS you in a Huricane...
Black and I were confident newbies and with the "lock & load" attitude !

Holy crap you came around and over us and in 20sec we were blown out of the skies ! :confused:
Two Canadian rookies blown out of the skies and wondering what the hell just happened ! :rofl

Mace we crossed again few months ago.
We engaged with ya 2 vs 2 and boy did we enjoy the fight !
We knew it was you and your partner was also a well known stick.... Can't remember the name !
Myself and Black survived the fight and to this day we still talk about battle and we get pumped up everytime !! :O
Always an honour to talk to you and certainly a pleasure to be in the skies on your side or against !
 :salute

Phil / OPP7755

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 11:08:39 PM »
Howdy Phil, I do remember first meeting you and Black70. Great attitudes and willing to take advice, good on ya. I just noticed you said you have TIR II. is that correct?  If so you're missing out on the TIR 4 improvements. You should seriously look at upgrading. <S>

Mace

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 12:34:22 AM »
TrackIR yes I do !
Can't fly without it !

IMPROVEMENT ? How tha hell can it be better ?
Will check it ASAP !!
XMAS is coming !   :D

Tks
Phil / OPP7755

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »
If you really only have TIR II then you only have what's called 2DOF which means two degrees of freedom. In other words your head is in a fixed position in the cockpit and you can only pan or tilt you head. It's sort of like a camera sitting on a tripod. TIR3 with Vector Expansion (an add on) and TIR4 give you 6DOF. That's  tilt, pan, and roll along with the ability to move your ingame head forward/backward, slide left/right, and move up/down. It's a huge improvement over the old 2DOF system.  It's a must have item if you're into TIR.
Mace