Author Topic: Nothing to see here, move along  (Read 4004 times)

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
Re: Nothing to see here, move along
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:52 PM »
Wow, I take one day off from flying and my sheep get violated and the AvA forum reverts back to around this time last year. I gott tell ya Im just a little bit upset.
Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:23 PM »
for thoses of you who dont know, the AVA is a place for a higher class of player. these rules are not enforced but are expected to a point. yes all rules get broken but we try to keep it to a minimum to keep it civilized. take this for what its worth. it will make the experience for new AVA players much nicer.

1. we dont vulch unless we're taking a base. vulching in general is frowned apon in the AVA

2. We keep HO'ing to a minimum. yes there are times when we all HO but again its frowned apon.

3. picking-- AVA is about 1V1. if you  gonna jump in, ask first. if its a furball, all bets are off go for it

4. alt monkeys-- we try to keep things around 5k, nothing stopping you from flying higher, but if im in there ill be down on the deck. have fun with that nose bleed.

5. killing radar for fun-- please dont unless you're gonna capture the base, it spoils the fun for the rest of us.

yes everyone doesnt play the same way and have the same goals, but its a better experience over-all. we're trying to make it a place thats fun for everyone and has the aspects of each different type of battles.

again these are guidelines and are not enforced, but we'd appeciate your co-operation. thanks

I hope this is a joke.   All but No. 5 happened routinely. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »
I hope this is a joke.   All but No. 5 happened routinely. 

Yup
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
It did get pretty ugly at times. why was I allways the victom  :lol
Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2008, 02:37:54 AM »
boy, i can just feel the "LOVE" with this Thread. It's good to have the AVA community support someone that is trying to make the AVA a better place! HI Stampf!!  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:40:17 AM by captain1ma »

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2008, 02:43:56 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:07:42 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2008, 07:29:45 AM »
Well there was a lot of new blood last night.  We need to teach the newer guys that they don't have to spend 1/2 their time climbing in order to have a fun fight.

Storch used to always tell me, "Stay low, make them come to you.  Sure they have the advantage, but that's what'll make you better."

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.
P-47 pilot

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2008, 07:30:58 AM »
I, Republic, agree to follow those guidelines to the best of my abilities.
P-47 pilot

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2008, 08:34:54 AM »
I, 420ace, find the format of response stuffy and silly.  But these are good traits for any virtual pilot.   :salute

Was cool hearing gavagai explaining to someone new last night to avoid the HO and the guy asked if I needed help in a 1v1.  Jhayes, or at least thats close.  Makes me happy.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »
Mostly seems  like good common sense stuff. Some might quibble with #3, but the OP added the caveat that if it is a multi-bandit situation, engage at will. I agree

The low numbers in AvA must be considered. It is understandable that if there were 2 players in one area on one side and only 1 on the other team, it would suck for the singleton to to get ganged by both of them constantly. Whereas if it is something like 2v2 or greater numbers, I see no reason why it is unfair or unrealistic to engage in a more catch-as-catch can manner.

No, the only thing I can really quibble with is 4.

IMO, one of the most a-historical factor in the MA, and one that really kills my "suspension of disbelief" (aside from Mustangs crossing swords with Spitfires and the like), is that 90% of the combat is in the weeds all the time. Basically, this means that the same group of fighters optimized for low alt performance are the ones which have a tremendous advantage and are flown all the time. Performance above 15K, which is exactly what many fighters were designed for, is almost irrelevant in the MA, so they never get to really shine in there.

A 5K alt cap...wow, that is rather low even by the standards of the Eastern front. For a scenario involving, say the strategic bombing campaign and defense of the Reich in Western Europe, it is ridiculously low. I would consider it a desirable aspect of a more historical arena if one was able to regularly engage at realistic altitudes, that for instance, reveal why the P-47 was a good fighter plane.

However, I can understand people not wanting to spend 10 minutes climbing just to get to the engagement. Maybe more maps, at least for certain scenarios, should feature air-starts for both sides?

3. picking-- AVA is about 1V1. if you  gonna jump in, ask first. if its a furball, all bets are off go for it

4. alt monkeys-- we try to keep things around 5k, nothing stopping you from flying higher, but if im in there ill be down on the deck. have fun with that nose bleed.

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »
The 5k thing is because the bases on most of the maps are about 15-20 miles from each other, and unless you have to fly over a mountain most of us fly between 1-4k to get to the fight faster. Some of the new people that come in thinking its like the MA and they climb up to 10-15 then B&Z the fights. Then when you get on them they run away. Once one person starts to climb that high so do other to try to kill him next thing you know you have to climb ten minutes just to have a two minute fight. It gets boring when that happens.

Air starts are on some maps but it always ends up you getting killed by the same guy you just killed thirty seconds earlier because you are low on the deck trying to get speed up and he is dropping from 20k going mach 1.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:33:53 PM by Larry »
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »
i think with a bit of the right encouragement, we can make the AVA a pretty grande arena. sure we'll get the share of nah-sayers. i think we just need to stay consistent in acting accordingly to our guidelines and there will be plenty of fun and plenty of fights. hopefully more players too.

PS.-- 2 to go TK

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
The only reason I fly in a Massively Multiplayer Online Flight Simulation is to experience the teamwork and camaraderie of squadron operations.

I have flown in literally thousands of 1 v 1 fights in the past 10 years.

I have also flown in hundreds of squadron versus squadron engagements in organized events.

My ego doesn't need anymore stroking either way. I like to furball in the weeds. I like to fight up high. I like to land my kills.

The best part of flying as a team, for me, is helping my team mates be successful. After well over 100,000 online kills I could care less about 1 or 500 kills more or less.

My squadron likes historical matchups in our historical ride. Aces High doesn't provide a lot of opportunity for that experience.

The AvA could be a popular Arena. Another game once had a very similar arena that enjoyed steady popularity for several years. I was deeply involved in that arena until that game company opened a very similar arena with long icons, killing the first arena.

I stayed there for several more years until an FM disaster prompted our squad to look elsewhere.

We ended up in AH, which is a far superior game. But, again, the game is limited by the small minds of the players. The AvA suffers from this. So much potential goes to waste.

Its easy to see why HITECH abandoned CT. I always thought he was nutty to try it. The only full time semi-historical arena in AH actively discourages the primary focus of air warfare (and the most engaging part of any MMOG).

Teamwork.

Every air campaign in history was about coordinated effort.

And the AvA is supposed to be some sort of gladiator 1 v 1 cage match with silly rules.

HT would be much better off designing 1 v 1 rooms where you could sit in a lobby and pick your plane and the opponents plane and when you got a match you both airstarted at 5K 2 miles apart. Charge a nickel a fight and make a mint.

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2008, 02:14:47 PM »
I swear I will do what I like when flying in the AvA.

I will vulch whenever possible. I don't HO because its poor technique and indicative of poor skills. I do pick as often as possible, mostly aiming for the head. I don't bomb or strafe anything unless I absolutely must. And I am mostly a lover of high altitude.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »
#100 beat ya tk!!  :rofl

we're doing a big mission this thursday if you and your friends are interested. apparently you and most of your cohorts missed most of the message that i intended to spread at the beginning of the thread.

no one is telling you not to do high altitude bomber missions. no one is telling you not to do co-ordinated attacks on bases.

god knows, thats what we do best. we all love teamwork.

but when theres no missions going on, or no co-ordinated attacks being set up, theres isnt any reason not to stick to a few gentlemanly guidelines. thats all, sheesh, i didnt kill your cats, or first born, you guys all need to relax a bit or at the very least get a hobby.

have a nice day!!  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:29:07 PM by captain1ma »